The point of no return. Australia's Carbon Tax coming this Weekend

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
This is it people. Australia's Carbon Tax is coming on the 1st of July.

It all began with Australia's current Prime Minister winning an election on the promise that there would "not be a carbon tax under any government i lead." This was eventually proven to be a lie when she forced it through with teh help of the Greens. The Australian public, for the majority have been against this move and our Prime Minister ever since she forced it in. Perhaps the reason as to why we are opposed is because we did not get a say. In fact, recently when Gillard (our PM) was asked about the fact that the public didn't get to vote, she responded with "It's already been passed, so there's nothing no one can do to stop it." Or something similar to that. This reply disgusted me, knowing that our PM does not care for the people, only for those in power.

When the initial backlash destroyed her credibility, she defended the decision, stating that there would not be any affect on the people whatsoever. The majority of the people however were smart enough not to fall for those false claims. It is obvious that the big companies who will get taxed do not want to lose money. So, what are they going to do? I know, raise their prices so consumers must pay more. That is a way to not lose any money from the tax. Reviewing this, it is evident that the tax will not do anything but raise the prices of consumer available products and essentials.

The government has finally acknowledged this and is attempting to give out tax benefits to families...

This is where it gets interesting

The government has stated that it will provide tax cuts for the public as a result of the Carbon Tax:

Singles on low and middle incomes will get tax cuts to help them with the expected increase in living costs. Some low-income households might not receive enough assistance through tax cuts or Government payments to offset their average expected cost impact under a carbon price. These households will be able to apply for an annual, tax-exempt Low Income Supplement of $300.

The Government will introduce legislation to ensure that those Australians that need help the most, particularly pensioners and low and middle income households, will get assistance to help manage increases in the cost of living from the carbon price. On average, households will see cost increases of $9.90 per week, while the average assistance will be $10.10 per week.

From 1 July 2012, all taxpayers with incomes of up to $80,000 will get a tax cut, with most receiving at least $300 per year. This means around 60 per cent of taxpayers will get a tax cut of at least $300. No one will pay more income tax as a result of the carbon price package.

www.cleanenergyfuture.gov.au...

We will get tax cuts of at least $300...

That is pathetic...

When you compare the following with the tax cuts, it is evident that the public is getting shafted:

Treasury estimates for the average Australian household electricity will rise by $3.30 per week, gas by $1.50, and food by 80 cents under the carbon price.

www.abc.net.au...

The average Australian household spends much more money than the estimated amount that we will receive through tax cuts. $300 is nothing compared to the...thousands that the average household spends on essentials (food, electricity, fuel etc), yet all those aspects are rising as a result of the Carbon Tax.

Here is an interesting table (which, by the way, only estimates the future costs of goods and essentials):

archive.treasury.gov.au...

The Carbon tax will lead the Australian public down a path of ruin, and for what? For the elite to get more power...?

Regardless, it is quite evident that the public is getting shafted by this Carbon Tax/ The Government's planning is flawed and their tax cuts will not be of significant help at all. The Australian public will be doomed.

This all starts on Sunday, the 1st of July...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
So, if you cut back your use of electricity, etc, do you still get to keep the $300 rebate? That could end up being a net gain for a lot of people, no?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
If those costs are all per week, then that equals $291.20 per year. If I'm getting a tax cut of $300 per year, I'm actually ahead.

The world will not end tomorrow because of the carbon tax.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
So, if you cut back your use of electricity, etc, do you still get to keep the $300 rebate? That could end up being a net gain for a lot of people, no?

im pretty sure most people use just the amount of electricity they need as they already pay for it... so cutting back is highly unlikely.
This is really sad.. these #ing agenda 21 scum are getting their way it appears... my apartment building was just installed with smart meters and im in BC Canada

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Indeed but fear mongering is fun

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaron2209
If those costs are all per week, then that equals $291.20 per year. If I'm getting a tax cut of $300 per year, I'm actually ahead.

It's all incremental so no one revolts... imagine if 10 years ago governments told the masses they are going to tax you for exhaling and for what plants breath

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
$5 a week is the end of the world?? What the hell?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by seenavv

It's all incremental so no one revolts... imagine if 10 years ago governments told the masses they are going to tax you for exhaling and for what plants breath

I'm not a big proponent of carbon taxes. I think they do little of what they claim to do. But to claim that the government is taxing your breath, or to imply that the carbon in our atmosphere is benign is nonsense.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
$5 a week is the end of the world?? What the hell?

Exactly.

Those responsible for this ridiculous scare campaign (Liberal/National Party) will be seen as fools as of tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by seenavv

im pretty sure most people use just the amount of electricity they need as they already pay for it... so cutting back is highly unlikely.

Please. People routinely use FAR more power than they actually 'need'. No one 'needs' a dishwasher, or a plasma tv, or an electric dryer. Those are conveniences, not needs.

Consuming less energy is the ONLY way the population can continue into the century. "Green' energy is a pipe dream. Using less is the only solution Carbon taxes are implemented as a way to try and encourage consumers to consume less.

This is really sad.. these #ing agenda 21 scum are getting their way it appears... my apartment building was just installed with smart meters and im in BC Canada

You know that smart meters are less dangerous than the wifi outlets in your vicinity, right?
edit on 29-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)
edit on 29-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by aaron2209

Aaron, it may begin with $5 per week but taxes have an unfortunate history of INCREASING.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

What will happen though in 3 years time when it turns into an emissions trading scheme and the compensation stops?

Oh and thanks Daas for posting this, you beat me to it?

Also to those who think that Tony Abbott will repeal the tax, do you know that NO tax has ever been repealed in Australia's history.....
I think Australia needs a revolution

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Except EVERYTHING is going up because of it.

Public transport is going to cost more above the average raise, which they have even admitted.

You're ahead? Were you so struck down before? Gillard is the worst thing to happen to Australia since paul keating...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Here's what I'm going to do....

If products/services I use rise in price due to the carbon tax, I will switch to cheaper alternatives which will more than likely be products/services that pollute less therefore not paying as much carbon tax. This in turn will force other businesses to change their ways to minimise their carbon tax to be able to price match.

All the while still receiving my $300 per year tax cut.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Paul Keating? Why do you think he was so bad? A better choice would have been Little Johnny Howard.

link   

Originally posted by deessell
reply to post by aaron2209

Aaron, it may begin with $5 per week but taxes have an unfortunate history of INCREASING.

Yes but all that means is products made by environmentally friendly methods will be that much cheaper.

link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

But explain to me why Australia should pay the highest carbon tax in the world, when we produce 0.001% of global emissions and China is building 3 coal plants per week?

It is not only useless for Australia to do this but dangerous in these economic times of uncertainty. If she really wanted to encourage "Green" initiatives by big business then why did she end compensation for businesses who invest in Green technology?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Indeed but fear mongering is fun

I'm all for less pollution, so you can count me in with your alleged agenda of fear mongering, but this tax will not stop a jot of it. It is nothing less than artificial inflation, and everyone will pay for it. For what? If the world doesn't start farting candy floss, I will be pissed off.

And guess what... it causes pollution, making that candy floss. Pay for making life work, that's all it boils down to. They can't tax air, so the next best thing is tax what you add to it.

It's a load of crap. No one will stop using what they already need, no company will cease polluting the atmosphere, all they will do is raise costs, and we will pay more.

But hey, pensioners get a bonus. I wonder if they will now not die, and cause more pollution?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

So are you telling me that a business paying $500M a year in carbon tax (a number out of thin air) wouldn't look at that figure and think "Hmmm how can we lower this by utilising less pollution producing methods"?

That will be the first thing they do.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Problem is this just adds to the whole lib this lab that shytstorm, when in reality both parties are just as bad as each other.
The carbon tax makes no real difference.
If anything it is just a scapegoat for that fact that cost of living is rising rapidly regardless.

When have we ever had a say in anything anyway?

Im not saying its a good thing, but I just don't want to add to the lib/lab dog fight where people loose sight of the real issues.
People use things like this to feed their egos and better their political ideologies, its almost as if they don't really care about it. Because I know a lot of people would support it if Liberal had brought it in, which they probably would have as well.

What more can you expect when we let our political parties operate in a corrupt system that is governed by money and not we the people.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join