Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Help Needed Per Not Getting Taken Advantage Of From A Published Author

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Background: For several weeks I have been in contact with someone who is magazine and blog writer who's work relates to a well known author of several books. With the help of this writer I have created a story outline expanding on a minor character of one of the author's books.

The author believes my work to be wonderful and is possibly planning to use my outline to write a book about this character.

Questions: Other than a rough draft of the outline sent via email all contact with the author has been over the telephone. I'm afraid that I may have given them too much information that they could publish in their name leaving me without credit, any payments, and so forth. I need help with creating some sort of contract to take before a judge if I am taken advantage of. I don't know if this author would rip me off or not. How would I go about presenting this idea to the author without getting the door slammed in my face.

I need all the help that can be offered,

Thank you,
Sanity Lost

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I don't know if I can help you, but I have been in a similar situation. It is precarious. The author rules his characters. In Harry Potter a fellow tried to write a "compendium" of Harry Potter and it was ruled by a court to be in violation of copyright. I wrote a dictionary of Linday Davis' "Falco Books" that she objected to, in spite of the fact that I had "value added" material that she had not written herself. My publisher cancelled the book because, they said, they could not afford a lawsuit, even if they won. The bottom line is that you cannot realistically piggy back on an existing aurthor's creations, even though you provided original material. It sucks, but best to apply your creative talents elsewhere. I lost two years of my life on my project.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Yes, to go on or not go on with the plans at hand. It is such a difficult question. My writer friend assures me that the author's lawyers are aware of the situation and that my email outline and future emails would be considered as proof of what work I have done. I might just play dumb if I get the expected called from the author and hold them off until I have some sort of battle plan.

Best wishes with all your endeavors.

Sanity

Edit: The lawyers in question are my writer friend's lawyers not the author's. Right now everything I write will go through these lawyers to record as my original work before the author sees it.
edit on 30-6-2012 by Sanity Lost because: I'm not so perfect after all.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I think you need a contract that allows you to retain your intellectual property rights over this. The link is for a website offering publishing contracts that you may need. Some free samples can be downloaded. Anyway good luck and all the best.

SEQ LEGAL

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

Thank you for the link. I've been searching for something like this all day but have not found anything that matches what I need. This will get me started in the right direction.

Cheers,
Sanity

top topics

join