It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 million without power now from severe thunderstorms today!!!! NOT GOOD

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

It just requires slightly more planning. I'm pretty confident it would result in lower overall maintenance cost.

And power lines are laid in concrete tubes, it would take one hell of a retarded constuction worker to break it

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje
1 Million?

Let's hope there aren't too many people depending on power just to stay alive (think medical equipment).

One would expect a country like the USA to have their electrical infrastructure mostly under ground by now in order to reduce the risk of exactly these kind of things happening?

Like when living in a hurricane prone zone in buildings mostly made of wood and being surprised when entire towns get leveled when one passes over...

Where's the common sense?

I thought you knew - those funds designated for infrastructure as donated by our citizens' labor have been misappropriated! Oh bother.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
reply to post by Romekje

The problem with burying power lines is that they can still be impacted by things like retarded construction workers

That actually happened last year here, some construction workers cutted a power line..but after only 30 minutes it was fixed. So it wasn't a big deal and the only power outtage i ever experienced here in Germany despite some heavy thunderstorms, heavy hail and whatnot.

I think it was this season when a small thunderstorm destroyed some lines and a NHL game between the Anaheim Ducks and the Detroit Red Wings had to be delayed for an hour

I can understand a weak grid in african or south east asian countries and experienced this on several vacations (tunisia, sri lanka and even on that island in croatia where the power lines runs through the sea) but with the USA always mentioning how ultra advanced and super-duper modern they are...i always chuckle about them and their 19th century power grid

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
"It's the end of the world as we know it...
...and I feel fine..."
R.E.M.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jeantherapy

I know.. and that's the irony of it all..

The USA spends billions each year on the ability to destroy another country's infrastructure in any way imaginable while their own can be taken down with a wire cutter.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Heat Wave to Test Power Grid As Utility Threatens Strike

Con Edison and its workers are in the middle of contract negotiations, with the current contract for Local 1-2 of the Utility Workers of America expiring at midnight Saturday.

A strike was authorized in back in May by Con Ed if necessary. Talk about leverage.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Stay safe, keep a cool head and treat everyone as brothers and sisters.

Strength.

yes help if you can,I am luck I live in new England...it's in the high ninties but not as bad south and west of us.
I hope they call out the Nationl Guard to help where they can.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I'm right in the middle of it. With no power, my well pump doesn't work, but I have about 4 days worth of drinking water for my daughter and me, got about 20 gallons this morning from the local taco bell for the dogs and for flushing. Plenty of emergency food on hand, so we're good for about 4 days. I'm hearing that it'll be anywhere from 4 to 10 days before power is restored. Right now my back porch (in the shade) thermometer says 102 at 5:30 pm. Biggest problem right now... boredom. But I'll be up at 5;30 in the morning working on a backyard water purifier. neigbors all have generators, so they're sitting inside with AC bitching about the cable being out.
I'm posting this from my phone, which I have to keep taking out to the truck every few hrs to use the car charger.
edit on 6/30/2012 by AliWV because: fix typos

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by usaman1983

Fort wayne indiana.. many business are out of power due to the storm that came through.

THe same happened a few years ago with an ice storm except that time it was more than the 1.5 days it has been this time around. It is not that odd of an occurrence really. my neighborhood goes out at least every two months because someone decides to wrap their tree around the pole feeding my neighborhood. yes the sky s falling
edit on 30-6-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
A good portion of my city is without power, estimates at 40,000 out of 100,000. My family woke up this morning to a fallen tree blocking our driveway. My work was closed for the day due to no power and most businesses are closed also. At around 3 P.M. we tried to go get gas for our vehicle and out of the few gas stations open, they were all out of unleaded.

It was 100 Degrees today here, but felt even hotter. My grandparents have no power, and my grandpa was outside for only a few minutes and almost passed out. The news is now saying the residents could be without power until July 7th. With Roanoke being one of the biggest crime cities in Virginia (it was number 1 in the early 2000's) things could turn ugly here. I'm just thankful my family has power and my grandparents have a place to come to if things don't get back to normal soon. There are also numerous "cooling stations" opened in town for citizens to go to for a place to relax. I just hope FEMA isn't called in

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
What whiners. Sure you feel for the human loss but it is amazing how end of world everything becomes when it is the U.S. Northeast, The rest of we less important regions deal with this type of thing all the time.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Water Nightmare Continues For Monmouth County Residents After Three Water Mains Break
newyork.cbslocal.com...

The water nightmare is continuing on Saturday for hundreds of thousands of people near the Jersey Shore, as three broken water mains in Monmouth County knocked out service on Friday night.

Might be out for days.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Even when they are plastered head to toe in fecal matter they still won't believe it anyway because the giant talking heads on tv will tell them everything is fine... and they'll bleat... and go back to their couch and wait for the next season of American Idol to start...

Typical ATS rubbish. Make fantastic and ridiculous claims about weather control weapons being used on us for no apparent reason, and then paint everyone with a broad brush claiming if they don't believe in this theory, they are stupid blind sheep that will go and watch American Idol instead of "opening their eyes." I don't know why American Idol is always used in these rude tirades... after all, it is actually fairly entertaining, and actually produces singing stars. If you are going to make baseless claims with no substance, at least use a completely pointless reality show like, I don't know.. Wives of New Jersey or something along those lines.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
no well pumps, sump pumps and AC is a drag, but at least it's not winter

hope they get it restored quickly !

I wonder how many people will not think to make a bucket out of some PVC pipe which would fit down the well pipe. I would make a ram pump to move water if I had too. I am ready to pull the well pump and put one down...if I had too. I have power for now....

generally water in your well pipe will come up to about 25 feet from the surface. FYI

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skript420
A good portion of my city is without power, estimates at 40,000 out of 100,000. My family woke up this morning to a fallen tree blocking our driveway. My work was closed for the day due to no power and most businesses are closed also. At around 3 P.M. we tried to go get gas for our vehicle and out of the few gas stations open, they were all out of unleaded.

It was 100 Degrees today here, but felt even hotter. My grandparents have no power, and my grandpa was outside for only a few minutes and almost passed out. The news is now saying the residents could be without power until July 7th. With Roanoke being one of the biggest crime cities in Virginia (it was number 1 in the early 2000's) things could turn ugly here. I'm just thankful my family has power and my grandparents have a place to come to if things don't get back to normal soon. There are also numerous "cooling stations" opened in town for citizens to go to for a place to relax. I just hope FEMA isn't called in

Hi Skript, Just left Roanoke about an hour ago. My mother-in-law lives off Williamson Rd and has no power; there is power at Lowes on Hersherberger; my mom lives near Hales Ford Bridge at the lake and has no power; my sister who lives near Diamond Hill has power; my niece in Huddleston has no power

all of Maritnsville is out of power.....

I live in southern Franklin county and we have power....

everything is quiet except for the 2 drunk neighbors arguing on our private road.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
It is pretty sad for an "advanced" human race to panic without electricity... And I can understand as I grew up in the USA.

Now I'm used to living without electricity during times of the year and it's fine. My wife's village just got electricity 6 years ago haha.

Anyways, no electricity is not the end of the world, though it may contribute to that!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I feel for anyone that doesn't get there power back before it heats up tormorrow...the heat is hard on older folks.
My parents got there power back on 11am this morning in Moseley, VA.
My husband is on the road coming from Illnois and traffic is a mess heading east....trees down...intersection lights not working...lucky for him the dealership he's delivering to has electricity.
'

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The storm was epic.

There were at least 80 mile an hour gusts, or whatever is required to blow a half full transcan completely over.

I don't think I've ever seen thunderheads that tall before. But of course, extreme weather is what happens when global weather patterns change because of (insert reason here).

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
From Ohio --

Motorists Trapped On Hamilton Road By Downed Power Lines

About 15 people were trapped in their vehicles after at least 16 electric poles fell onto vehicles and Hamilton Road south of state Route 161 and north of Thompson Road. They were all safely rescued from their vehicles just before 10 p.m. Friday.

www2.nbc4i.com...

That's in my city, I seen many many trees in back yards and smashed into fences etc... The craziest thing I seen (and ever) was a steel billboard all three sides were smashed in like a coke can. Lots of people are still without power

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
My fiance's in Hanover county VA, north of Richmond, and the power has been out for a few hours. Strong storm and hail came through, knocked down some trees, then he said they issued a tornado warning for the area. I think it's all calmed down now but I have a feeling it may take them another day or two to get the power back on over there, based on what happened with the hurricane that wrecked the area a few months back. Hopefully sooner, 100 degree weather with high humidity is NOT fun with no AC! Crazy stuff going on out there.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join