It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a Humble Tradesman, Trapped in a World He Never Made

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
A pretty funny story detailing a very, very suspicious 'source' popping up in many, many articles on the health care bill's effects on small businesses. How many other 'small business owners' could they have contacted, instead of the same guy, over and over and over?

This morning, NPR’s Yuki Noguchi wanted to know how an ordinary small business owner feels now that the Obama health care law has been upheld. So she turned to this guy:

The law will give some small businesses tax incentives to pay for employee health care. Starting in 2014, those with 50 or more employees will be required to provide it. That requirement is bad news for businesses like Perfect Printing in Moorestown, N.J. The company’s president and CEO, Joe Olivo, says he now has 48 employees, for whom he pays some health care coverage. But he’s intensely aware of crossing that 50-person threshold and will think very hard before hiring more people so he can avoid hitting government requirements that he says will raise his health care costs.

Last night, Anne Thompson of NBC News wanted to know the same thing. So she turned to … the same guy:

ANNE THOMPSON: For small business owners like Joe Olivo, it is the unknown cost of the law that could impact his printing business…. Olivo offers health care to his 48 workers. If he goes to 50, he says the law would require him to provide more comprehensive and expensive care or pay a penalty. He says the penalty makes more sense. JOE OLIVO: The penalty is far below my premiums. It’ll be cheaper for me to allow the employees to go and purchase insurance on the exchange by themselves.

Wow—two news organizations covering the same story scoured the nation for a random small business owner to comment on that story—and they both found the same one! How’d that happen? What are the odds?

Well, as it turns out, Joe Olivo of Perfect Printing turns up quite a bit in public discussions of this and other issues.

Here he is testifying against the health care law before House and Senate committees in January 2011

Here he is a few days ago, also on Fox Business, talking to John Stossel about the law.

Here he is discussing the same subject on a New Jersey Fox affiliate.

And here he is in July 2010 discussing small business hiring with Neil Cavuto on Fox News. Here he is opposing an increase in the minimum wage in an MSNBC debate a couple of weeks ago. ( more links at blog below)

Go to many of these links and you find out something about Joe Olivo that NPR and NBC didn’t tell you: he’s a member of the National Federation of Independent Business. NFIB’s site and YouTube page promote many of Olivo’s public appearances. He was the subject of an NFIB “My Voice in Washington” online video in 2011.

NFIB, you will not be surprised to learn, is linked to the ALEC and Karl Rove’s Crossroads GPS, and to the usual rogues’ gallery of right-wing zillionaires. So Joe Olivo isn’t just some random business owner—he’s dispatched by NFIB whenever there’s a need for someone to play a random small business owner on TV. Thanks, NPR and NBC —you asked us to smell the grass, and you didn’t even notice it was Astroturf. Or you noticed, but you didn’t want us to.

www.balloon-juice.com...

edit on 29-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I see your point, and it is certainly a valid one. Though his point made, being that a company in that position will react much as described is also quite valid. Regardless of his motives or affiliations.

What you seem to miss is that while he may be tied to right wing "zillionairs", there are just as many left wing "zillionairs" who are fighting the bad fight as well. Both sides are corporatist sellouts at this point.

Obama care is a corporatist movement disguised as "affordable health care" nothing more.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by caterpillage
I see your point, and it is certainly a valid one. Though his point made, being that a company in that position will react much as described is also quite valid. Regardless of his motives or affiliations.

What you seem to miss is that while he may be tied to right wing "zillionairs", there are just as many left wing "zillionairs" who are fighting the bad fight as well. Both sides are corporatist sellouts at this point.

Obama care is a corporatist movement disguised as "affordable health care" nothing more.

I dont think you see the POINT at all. The POINT is not that he is affiliated with a right wing think tank (although that is certainly valid), the POINT is that several media outlets, from the supposed Right and Left (Fox, MSNBC, NPR) all interviewed him as if he were just soe random business owner they just stumbled upon. The POINT is it is, at the least, an example of lazy journalism. And, at worst, shows how the corporate media, no matter their supposed affiliations with the Right or Left, all co-ordinate their messages.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I don't think a business with 48 employees (in my opinion) is a small business. I see this as a low end medium business....
edit on 29-6-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: double neg

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

FAIL

Did you even read the article? This has NOTHING to do with your false dichotomy of Right vs Left. It has to do with an example of both 'left' and 'right' media outlets co-coordinating their sources. You REALLY think FOX, MSNBC,and NPR all just randomly called this guy up?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Businesses that employ more than 50 but aren't large international corporations exemplify what this nation is supposed to be about. Targeting them is either incredibly stupid or it is a direct attempt to destroy the middle class and create much more unemployment. Not sure which is scarier. You are about to see massive layoffs and many companies that used to be bigger that will now be 48-49 employee companies.

I know many small/medium business owners and have yet to meet a single one that supports Obamacare. Most are strongly against it. How many small business owners do you know that support more regulation? I've never met one.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
Businesses that employ more than 50 but aren't large international corporations exemplify what this nation is supposed to be about. Targeting them is either incredibly stupid or it is a direct attempt to destroy the middle class and create much more unemployment. Not sure which is scarier. You are about to see massive layoffs and many companies that used to be bigger that will now be 48-49 employee companies.

I know many small/medium business owners and have yet to meet a single one that supports Obamacare. Most are strongly against it. How many small business owners do you know that support more regulation? I've never met one.

Sweet jumping jesus!!!!!!!!!!!, this has NOTHING to do with the topic. This isn't about the health care bill. Its not about small businesses. It's about 'deconstructing disinformation' shown in media sources from both 'sides' of the false spectrum.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Ahh, you are correct there. I did miss the point then, I assumed (and we know what that means) that the meat of the story was in question and it was in turn actually the reporting. My bad there.

Sure, then corporate run media has an extreme bias, fudges the facts. That's why viewership of mainstream media is falling everyday. They have no credibility at all these days. You did point that out very well.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Oh, and I see your not one for respectfull discussion, you then are the ultimate fail. Good day sir. May you soon get back on your meds.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Oh, and I see your not one for respectfull discussion, you then are the ultimate fail. Good day sir.

I'm interested in topical discussions, not the rambling partisan assumptions of someone who clearly didnt read even the first few lines of the OP.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Even though many agree the two party system is broken and both ends of the media spectrum operate for the same purpose , many can not understand the whole concept of the illussion.
We are all so programmed , we still fall into the same old arguements, even though at this point the whole left right
paradigm is moot.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Well then I shall trouble you no further. Onward with your insitefull and well crafted thread! may your illustrious thoughts cause many to gain enlightenment!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by caterpillage

Or, you could offer some comments that actually relate to the topic.

Or, you could continue your hissy fit.

Your choice.

Good day.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Thank YOU!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Nice catch. I know that the media coordinates their messages, as almost every day, cable news covers the same five stories, or it seems like that.

But, you have found proof that this is occurring. Maybe people do not notice this because they only watch the television channel that is for their team (red or blue or whatever), and do not watch the others. The different media outlets are actually not that dissimiliar, as I think the main difference is in perception, ie. this is right because it is on channel X.

It is very interesting that Joe Olivo has 48 employees, but would like 50. How convenient, as that fits with the over 50 employees requirement of the health care bill. Joe thinks that he might not be able to afford to hire any more people if he has to provide healthcare. I think we are all supposed to feel bad for poor humble Joe.

edit on 1-7-2012 by PacificBlue because: grammar

edit on 1-7-2012 by PacificBlue because: same

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
When ever a news outlet points you to their "expert", put your index finger in your ears and say, "lalalalalala" until their "expert" shuts their paid- in-full mouth.
Anyone who still listens/watches these self-strokers are setting themselves up for butt loads of BS.
Question authority.
Think for yourself.
The moment a news source or reporter gets attention, or is praised for being honest, fair, and trusted. The first thing they do is say, "how do I stay popular?" and that is the end of their fairness and honesty.
The human race is inherently corrupt and self serving. Especially those who seek material wealth above all else. Anyone who goes to school for journalism, or economics aspires to be in the upper echelons.
Your television is a liar

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by reverandrandy
Anyone who goes to school for journalism, or economics aspires to be in the upper echelons.

lol.

Oh, ATS, and your over-simplifications in an attempt to feign intellectual prowess.

top topics

join