It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adding Cholesterol to Diet Reduces Autism Symptoms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Dr. Eugene Arnold of the Ohio State University Medical Center is researching the cholesterol link to Autism. Realizing that our brains are made up of a significant amount of cholesterol, he starts with the assumption that those with Autism may not be suffering from too much cholesterol, but in fact may be suffering from too little. After adding cholesterol to little Rose Barker’s diet, she started smiling, reading, and interacting with others like never before. Her mother comments: “The cholesterol has changed our life. It is exactly what she needed, and the development started almost immediately.”

healthimpactnews.com...

So we have this brand new health care miracle in obamacare, but the people we entrust with our well being give us bad information? Does this make sense to anyone?

edit on 29-6-2012 by frazzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
My granddaughter has Tubular Sclerosis with severe
autism. I will pass this along to her Mother. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
My granddaughter has Tubular Sclerosis with severe
autism. I will pass this along to her Mother. Thank you.

Excellent. It would be really good if you can let us know if she tries it and what kind of success she has with it ...

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
It is a fact that cholesterol helps make neurotransmitters, so drugs which reduce cholesterol like Statins actually end up causing Alzheimer's-like symptoms in elderly people, who are routinely mis-diagnosed, when their only problem is not enough cholesterol.

Cholesterol also helps make vitamin D in the body, necessary for immune system function.

The trick with adding cholesterol is, don't add it to a diet rich in simple sugars and refined flours.

I have noticed that, since I have been on a high fat, high protein, low to no carb diet, my Asperger's symptoms have been much less bothersome, so I think you may be on to something here.

Thanks for sharing this, OP!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
It is a fact that cholesterol helps make neurotransmitters, so drugs which reduce cholesterol like Statins actually end up causing Alzheimer's-like symptoms in elderly people, who are routinely mis-diagnosed, when their only problem is not enough cholesterol.

Cholesterol also helps make vitamin D in the body, necessary for immune system function.

The trick with adding cholesterol is, don't add it to a diet rich in simple sugars and refined flours.

I have noticed that, since I have been on a high fat, high protein, low to no carb diet, my Asperger's symptoms have been much less bothersome, so I think you may be on to something here.

Thanks for sharing this, OP!
Indeed. All this "more bread, less fat!" stuff is killing people.

Great find OP. I'll remember this when I chow down on some fried eggy goodness.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

I think you may be on to something here.

Sounds like you beat me to it. You made a great addition to the original information, thanks.

(My doc almost fired me for refusing statins following an eye stroke.)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I have to agree...with the overall connection between fat, and your brain's health at least.

I was recently diagnosed with severe epilepsy after 2 seperate week long boughts of tonic-clonic seizures, and losing almost two months of my memories. Under my Dr's recommendation I am now on the ketogenic diet(along with my seizure meds :p ); which is made primarily of animal meats, and fat.

It's still early in my program, but I am praying to whatever gods might listen that my seizures stop for good. Approximately 2 weeks into the program, and so far so good...Slowly I am feeling like myself, and my memories seem to be returning bits at a time as well.

I sincerely wish someone would(could) do some research into this connection with fat, and/or our nervous system. There are alot of us out there with disorders that are quietly wishing for some answers.

My wishes, thoughts, and prayers to any others out there suffering with any problems.

edit on 29-6-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Sounds like a similar thing to Lorenzo's Oil.

IRM

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

It's still early in my program, but I am praying to whatever gods might listen that my seizures stop for good. Approximately 2 weeks into the program, and so far so good...Slowly I am feeling like myself, and my memories seem to be returning bits at a time as well.

Sending my best wishes and a few words to those gods, too, that you will have a total recovery.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

Thank you, I mean that sincerely. Most of my close friends here in the "real" world have turned their backs on me...mostly because they find me "weird" now.

I guess it is fairly awkward when I seize on the toilet, and need assistance; or when I call my ex-wife because I am sure we are still married (been divorced almost 2 years).

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder
reply to post by frazzle

Thank you, I mean that sincerely. Most of my close friends here in the "real" world have turned their backs on me...mostly because they find me "weird" now.

I guess it is fairly awkward when I seize on the toilet, and need assistance; or when I call my ex-wife because I am sure we are still married (been divorced almost 2 years).

Yeah, that might be disconcerting ~

But mostly it just scares people when someone isn't acting normal and they don't know how to act back, but it'll work out. Just keep doing what you're doing since it seems to be working.

edit on 29-6-2012 by frazzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Studies on cholesterol levels also point out that to much cholesterol can be linked to Dementia and or Alzheimer. I'm looking at cholesterol more seriously from now on.

For the study, which is published in the journal Neurology, researchers used blood tests to measure cholesterol in 147 Japanese adults 10 to 15 years before their deaths. Fifty of them (or 34%) had been diagnosed with dementia. Tissue samples from their brains were then examined on autopsy. Those who had total cholesterol levels over 224 mg/dL in mid- to late life, before they had any symptoms of Alzheimer’s, were at least seven times more likely to have beta-amyloid plaques in their brains by the time they died, compared to people whose cholesterol was under 173 mg/dL. The American Heart Association considers total cholesterol levels below 200 mg/dL to be desirable. LDL, or “bad,” cholesterol over 155 mg/dL was also strongly associated with the likelihood of developing beta-amyloid plaques, compared to people whose LDL was lower than 106 mg/dL. People with high LDL levels were at least eight times more likely to display pathologic features of Alzheimer’s disease. Ideal LDL levels are felt to fall below 100 mg/dL, according to the AHA.

WebMD
edit on 29-6-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Here's another study on cholesterol ...

Researchers at the University San Diego School of Medicine UCSD point out that high cholesterol in those over 75 years of age is protective, rather than harmful and that low cholesterol is a risk factor for heart arrhythmias (leading cause of death if heart attack occurs). Researchers from the University of Denmark report that about 15% of cholesterol lowering drug users over the age of 50 will suffer from nerve damage as direct result of using statin drugs. USA Today reported that Statins have killed and injured more people than the government has acknowledged. www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com...

The overuse of statins is far more dangerous than cholesterol levels.

As far as what we eat goes, I think the wisest course is everything in moderation. But, to be honest, my doubts hit high alert when the push for low fat and no fat in processed foods went into high gear.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The problem isn't cholesterol. Never really has been. LDL particles are the problem.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

Message me and I can give you as much information as you can digest.

top topics

join