It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another rant about sexism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'll start off by saying I am in a pissed off mood for reasons that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.
I can't do anything about what really has me angry right now, so I am channeling my anger into this so I can actually feel like I am doing something productive, even if it doesn't get anywhere. I at least hope the mods take note though.

This thread has come about because in my attempts to diffuse my anger, I went to this threadwww.abovetopsecret.com...
However, a few pictures in to getting caught up I see the pictures From the walking dead about women drivers which reminded me about this thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not long before this post was made mod. Tothetenthpower posted this

Those posts were removed once alerted. We do not allow sexism, but we need members to alert those posts so we can take care of them. Sexism is a two way street however, and not only the girls of ATS have to deal with it. ~Tenth

on another thread,so of course I alerted this thread. There have been other threads and posts that have been more offensive but it really irked me just because this seems to be a common mentality here on ATS.
Despite the alert the mods did nothing which I have held a grudge against. Maybe they didn't feel it was against T&C but I certainly felt it was. It was sexist plain and simple.

I am trying to take a reasonable attitude about the posts in the post a funny picture. While they upset me, they only did so because I was already angry, and because this seems to be a collective mentality on ATS amongst many of the men. (Not all men) However, its this collective attitude that upsets me the most. It feels like I am subject to more sexism her on ATS than on websites where I expect it. It also bothers me more here. Due to the nature of ATS I tend to hold it to a higher standard than I would a site like 4chan. (not that I hold that site to any standards)
I just expect more from ATS. That includes women being sexist towards men as well. If I was to say something sexist here, I expect to be called out on it.
Well, I feel a bit calmer now than when I started this thread, so rant therapy must be working.

Note to mods: I am not officially complaining about the pics in the pic thread, However, I do feel the mods need to crack down on sexism everywhere on ATS.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Sounds like a personal problem. Stop being so sensitive to immature gestures and just ignore it.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

Are you saying the sexism in general should bother me or the picture posts that I referenced? I could understand you saying that about the posts I referenced and in general that wouldn't bother me, but the sexist attitude of ats as a whole does. There have been some pretty horrible posts made in the past, some taken care of by mods and some not. As far as it being a personal problem I know for a fact that I am not the only female here with a problem.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
You're getting upset over a joke thread? You do realize that one of the posts on that page in that thread was made by a female member.And I'm sure there's lot more through out the entire thread. It's a post a funny pic thread stop being so sensitive.I get your point about sexism and it shouldn't be tolerated.But really you've pointed out 2 threads out of thousands that exist on ATS and in my mind they're two of the weakest examples. I really don't think it's all that big of an issue.And that second thread the OP was just ranting about women drivers where he's from.He's relaying his expierences.His rant came off poorly but I don't think it was meant the way some members took it.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

Are you saying the sexism in general should bother me or the picture posts that I referenced? I could understand you saying that about the posts I referenced and in general that wouldn't bother me, but the sexist attitude of ats as a whole does. There have been some pretty horrible posts made in the past, some taken care of by mods and some not. As far as it being a personal problem I know for a fact that I am not the only female here with a problem.

Really though,the mods here do a pretty good job.They couldn't have been that 'horrible' if they weren't removed.Or perhaps they didn't violate the T & C so there was no need to remove them. I think some people are just too sensitive and take offense to everything.Or perhaps they read too much into and think because they don't like it that no one else should.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

No I was NOT upset over the post a funny picture, I understand the the intent of pictures that thread is not meant to be offensive, but funny. I am not unreasonable, well most of the time.
Those pictures reminded me of the other thread that did bother me, but enough to normally make a rant about it. The entire point of my rant was to was really for me to focus my anger at something else since there was/is nothing I can do about what really had me angry. The pictures were just a reminder of that thread and inspiration for my little therapy experiment..
I was fighting a very strong reaction to act on a situation that I couldn't react to. I need a distraction so I turned to that thread. Upon seeing those pictures I decided to see if focusing my anger on something less important would help. Since the sexism here on ATS frequently bothers me, it was the perfect topic to take my anger out on. I had kids around and needed to appear as calm as possible but I knew they could sense it. The pictures weren't helping. My rant actually helped. I think it was taking the time to link the posts that helped more than anything. Could I have found better examples? Sure, but as these were posts that I had replied to, they were easier to find than some of the truly upsetting ones and my point wasn't to make a well thought out thread but to get myself calm and distracted as quickly as possible.
I thought I explained this well enough in my op but I guess not.
edit on 30-6-2012 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The jokes the OP referred too..,. Would they still be humorous if you substituted women with a minority race?

If the answer is no.... Then it's sexist. Pure and simple.

OP, I agree with you. There is a sexist vibe at tImes on ATS. Sad thing is, those who find it funny. I, too, have complained, only to be told to "lighten up."

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
cant we all just get along???

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
"Total absence of humor renders life impossible."

Colette (1873 - 1954), Chance Acquaintances, 1952.... A woman.

"Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can."

Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958... A woman.

Cheer up! Don't take life so seriously. If you take offense to something that is YOUR problem not the person making the joke. Life doesn't revolve around you, people will joke and make fun.. live with it.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DaveNorris

Apparently not....

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

i like your avatar BTW

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

You shouldnt let it bother you. Its the internet. I hear women tell man jokes and bash on their husbands in person and it doesnt bother me let alone something the internet has on it. I dont see why people get so sensitive over posts on the internet. People are sexist people are racist people all over say stupid things. why cry about it. It only affects you if you allow it. stop being so immature and ignore the stupidity. simple as that

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris

i like your avatar BTW

Thank you! I posed for it myself, had to get the arm serviced and thought it'd make a great pic.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It's nice to know people can read
perhaps that should be my next rant.
Oh well, this thread served it's purpose.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I haven't noticed the sexism so much as the increase in completely inane and tasteless threads posted in order to push the T&C envelope.

An example ~ Classless Tripe

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

yeah im always oilling my biceps, never looks good tho, im too skrawny

top topics

join