It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rice Researchers Develop Paintable Battery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

news.rice.edu

Researchers at Rice University have developed a lithium-ion battery that can be painted on virtually any surface.

Technique could turn any surface into a lithium-ion battery; may be combined with solar cells

The rechargeable battery created in the lab of Rice materials scientist Pulickel Ajayan consists of spray-painted layers, each representing the components in a traditional battery. The research appears in Nature’s online, open-access journal Scientific Reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6/29/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Im surprise this wasnt invented before
but i already love this new technology
this will revolutionise portable electricity on almost anything

and make your house a living generator
capable of stocking electricity

Our electric bills will have a big difference
the big industries will try to shut them down
so people can continu depending on them with no choice

Just like a battery :

“This means traditional packaging for batteries has given way to a much more flexible approach that allows all kinds of new design and integration possibilities for storage devices,” said Ajayan, Rice’s Benjamin M. and Mary Greenwood Anderson Professor in Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science and of chemistry. “There has been lot of interest in recent times in creating power sources with an improved form factor, and this is a big step forward in that direction.”

Ceramic tiles coated with battery paints and then heat-sealed powered LEDs spelling out "RICE" for six hours in an experiment at Rice University. The lithium-ion batteries can be painted on virtually any surface. Photo by Jeff Fitlow

A beer stein served as an able substrate for a paintable battery developed at Rice University. Photo by Jeff Fitlow

Great invention that will certainly be very usefull

+1 for human Ingenuity

The big industries and governments cannot deny all inventions from the mass
just to make profit

news.rice.edu

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The new battery tech is astonishing, I use them in my RC Helicopters.
The power they provide is awsome compared with the old type of battery. Now with this new Paint a Battery method we should see them being used more often.
Combining them with solar panels is a smart move.
edit on 29-6-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Great post. I can envision a million uses for that stuff. I hope it comes out soon.

I have been wanting to make my boat solar powered and this would give me all the capacity I need. I wanted to do the whole upper part of the boat with panels and epoxy it down. If I could spray the battery on first then put the panels right over that I would have plenty of power for pumps, radio etc.

I can see this making the electric car a reality as well. If all of the undercoating and inside surfaces are coated in this way there is a lot of surface area to use as a battery. The outside could be used as well doubling the capacity and then spray painted normally or coated with a solar paint?

There was a solar paint that was being used on roofs that was supposed to be available this year, but I have not seen it advertised anywhere. Combining the two could make a great commuter.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by onecraftydude

Batteries that can take many shape and being applied on any surface
will certainly come handy

and the concept is very simple and low cost
that mean everyone soon will be using it
the entertainment multimedia devices will be the first one to exploit this new tech

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Mobile (cell) phones are ALREADY crazy enough!!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
This is cool but precautions against short circuiting will need to be used. Lithium ion batteries have burst into flames before. This has nothing to vent out like a nimh or nicad, thus the fire danger. Ive vented a nimh before. not pretty

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
WoW, this looks awesome! Thank u OP for this, star and flag coming your way. So many possibilities, let's hope that Big Energy does not scupper it!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Combine this tech with the promised paint on soar cells that were touted as invented in canada at the time....
The pair of paint on applications could charge themselves and deliver the battery power too......perpetual motion ?
free energy?
great find!
this is good news....

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Nice, now make that paint photovoltaic and you'll never have to recharge your cell phone or gas up your lawnmower again, given enough advance in the tech anyways. Okay so maybe not for a lawnmower, that might be a dream, but it could be useful for a lot small cell phone-like devices, not to mention survival gear. Think: A flashlight that recharges itself and stores power in the daytime needing no parts or casing or anything, it could literally just be a patch on your hat or clothes.

Or... they could paint electric vehicles with something like this.

Edit: Ah, didn't see the post above me said basically the same thing. Sorry, lol.
edit on 30-6-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Somehow I wonder what so special is about this. Infact, the layers that are rolled into a battery are spray painted already. You waste so much space when you do that flat out design. Maybe I missed something?

Its the same with condensators.

XL5

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Not to be a party pooper but I hope they came up with a way to keep the lithium from reacting with moisture in the air. What I think would be a great leap forward is, plastic sheets that guide light into a single fiberoptic cable, put it on your roof and get a steam turbine and you now have 25% eff. solar energy.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

news.rice.edu

Researchers at Rice University have developed a lithium-ion battery that can be painted on virtually any surface.

Technique could turn any surface into a lithium-ion battery; may be combined with solar cells

The rechargeable battery created in the lab of Rice materials scientist Pulickel Ajayan consists of spray-painted layers, each representing the components in a traditional battery. The research appears in Nature’s online, open-access journal Scientific Reports.

Great find and an awesome achievement for the researchers but and there is always the but , the government has kept us dependent on foreign oil even thou we have more than all the other nations in our American reserves. Most of the west is controlled by the NWO bankers , their greed will not allow this to Free energy source to come to market just like all the other great discoveries for clean reusable energy . They keep the yoke of tyranny on us through this greed. Sinse control of the masses is all they care for , not only will this yoke be kept upon us but the straps will be tightened digging on deep, as we strive for freedom . The west believes it is free but we are slaves to debt , the NWO has created this false matrix where God has been cut out of the equation and replaced by materialism and greed

They have taught us to put up fences and depend on yourself or the government , these fences both physical and psychological have for the most part created a separatist environment where most people could not tell you their neighbors name let alone ask for help painting a new battery on the house .

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Those three better hide,,,,,,,,,,,they are gonna end up dead like the guys who rigged cars to run off of water..

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I know I'm a bit cynical and know very little about electrical technology, but...

It takes 144 square inches of surface area to produce enough electricity to power a few LEDs for 6 hours? How is that efficient?

As for the beer stein with the single LED... Don't we already have batteries small enough to be concealed inside a greeting card, which can produce enough power to play music or light an LED?

Lastly, I am curious how much taxpayer money (grants) was spent on unrolling a battery?
edit on 30-6-2012 by WTFover because: spelling

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Wow! that is amazing! can't wait to see which company buys the patent and totally suppresses the technology.

new topics

top topics

join