It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most under rated item for BOBs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Hence why you see people spending hundreds of dollars on complicated versions of them?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

Dryer lint from towels. Not only is it a great fire starter, but it can be used to pqack small wounds if need be. You can cram a lot of it in one sandwich bag.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Prid drawing salve and Tea Tree Oil ... always have both around these parts, even in the purse.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
It's easy to overlook spare antibiotics and painkillers, both useful as barter items, or to make that 'boo boo' go away should the worst happen.

Oh, and a couple of spare local area maps, because they don't take up much space, and can be bartered when the GoogleMaps generation suddenly have to go all back to basics after SHTF.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
A blow up pool floaty. Light weight, small. Easy blow up matress. Only 2 bucks too!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thinair1
A blow up pool floaty. Light weight, small. Easy blow up matress. Only 2 bucks too!

For a second there I thought you were going to say a 'blow up' something else, nearly snorted my cola all over my laptop. Ahem. Anyway, you raise an intriguing BOB item by association as well - puncture repair kits. I don't have one in my bag, better think about getting one...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
Prid drawing salve and Tea Tree Oil ... always have both around these parts, even in the purse.
I second tea tree oil.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Hello all how about maps because ive been a lurker for a while on and off and no ones spoke about them before

(go easy im new to prepping)

apologises i should of used the search funtion im new to ATS sorry again i found a map thread
edit on 30-6-2012 by dino23uk because: did not use the search thread function sorry

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Dental floss. Not the minty kind.

You can repair tent, canvas or clothing.
Suture a wound.
Fish with it.
Replace a shoelace.
Pull a tooth.
Mend a net.
It's very useful and compact.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
bee propolis and bee propolis tinctures

en.wikipedia.org...

this stuff is great from minor injuries to deep wounds, i believe this stuff was used during the crusades to stop bleeding and used as an anti bacterial, also good to eat it, cleans out ur digestive system, the tinctures are good for sore throats and ear aches

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Great posts everyone! I think we have all added a couple more things to our BOBs. The best part... everything that has been recommended can go into a BOB easily without weighing it down.

Stars for everyone!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Sugar..better yet caramels candy...truck loads of it...i mean as much as you can carry in a BOB...it's super concentrated energy...more concentrated than that and it tastes funny and gets you dizzy and killed in minutes :d aka...gas and diesel.
I mean you could go for butter or vegetable oil but i doubt i'd be very tasty. At least survive without fastfood cravings

edit on 1-7-2012 by Choice777 because: spell check'n'stuff

Also at least single piece of verry sharp mild steel..to craft tools and sharpen wood needles and alsk carve sticks and clubs so i can attach stone tips and stone slabs with sharp edges so i can cut me down some of 'em fine trees and build me a castle

edit on 1-7-2012 by Choice777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Hot Glue Gun Sticks...I always keep a couple in my Rucksack

Its light, doesnt take much room, and can do all sorts of little things with it.

Cut into little pieces and melt with a hot nail or something metal

edit on 1-7-2012 by ruderalis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by caterpillage
Whenever I mentally pack my BOB, paying attention to detail, ensuring my every need, anticipating every disaster, it gets so big, the very first thing I'll need to do is procure an 18 wheeler to haul it around with lol.

A bug out bag is supposed to get you from point A to your bug out location, isn't supposed to contain everything you need to survive long term, there is no way your going to be able carry everything you need.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
A lock pick set is something I've got in my bob that most I've mentioned it to haven't thought of.
If you don't want the weight of a whole set just get a tension wrench and basic "rake" pick
or better yet make your own out of a few street sweeper blades (can be found on street sides/curbs almost anywhere) or similar steel stock. I learned how to pick with some I made in high school, carried them for years in my wallet. Also a small crow bar could be very useful in a bad situation. I got one for $2 at the local hardware store. Breaking and entering abandoned houses /buildings may be necessary to basic survival. Just don't get your self shot. I'm checking to see if I stashed a pair of nail clippers in my first aid kit right now! Peace...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Chapstick or petrolium jelly.

Extremely effective for its normal purpose, also fantastic as a:
-firestarter
-lubricant
-sealant
-bandaid
-short term glue

and many others

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

Originally posted by caterpillage
Whenever I mentally pack my BOB, paying attention to detail, ensuring my every need, anticipating every disaster, it gets so big, the very first thing I'll need to do is procure an 18 wheeler to haul it around with lol.

A bug out bag is supposed to get you from point A to your bug out location, isn't supposed to contain everything you need to survive long term, there is no way your going to be able carry everything you need.

Some people do not have a BOL or their BOL is quite a distance away, such is the case for me. To me, I can pack my car and drive to my location with what I need, but in the event that something happens between here and there, such as blocked roads, my BOB will sustain me until I can hike there. For some this may take a week or two, depending on many conditions, and I pack it as such.

As discussed here

Everyone has a different idea of what a BOB is and this is why there is no "standard" to a build. If it took everyone with a BOB to get where they are going in 72 hours than all you would need is some food, some water, a couple of changes of clothes and something to sleep in/under for a few days.

I think that people who built theirs with the anticipation of being out longer than 72 hours have the most interesting items. Not to mention talking about items someone didn't think about and all of the ingenious ways they have thought of using random items that were not intended to be used in such ways.
edit on 1-7-2012 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-7-2012 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Paracord and a windmill torch lighter. I also like Brunton lighters.

2nd

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Thick plastic sheeting.......so many uses at such a small weight factor. I don't think you could ever have too much of it in a survival situation.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
since i'm noticing many posters on this thread are relatively newer members, many of you might be interested in this little factoid that's popular as a snack too ... (if you really wanna go there) www.abovetopsecret.com...
who'd a'thunk Cheetos were so very versatile ??

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join