It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create Wi-Fi That Can Transmit Seven Blu-ray Movies Per Second

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

If you think your home Wi-Fi
connection is fast, think again.
Scientists have been working on a new
way to transmit data wirelessly, and
they can now transfer a scorching 2.5
terabits of information per second.
Let us put that another way: that's over
8,000 times faster than Verizon's fastest
wired home internet connection, FiOS,
that only manages a paltry 300Mbps. Or,
to put it in real terms, it's the same as
transmitting seven full Blu-ray movies
per second .

Basically, this # is crazy
fast.

But how the hello do they do it? Well,
the team of American and Israeli
researchers have used a neat new
concept, where the electromagnetic
waves that usually carry data are
twisted into vortex beams.

Wow!
Lets look to the future briefly..
Graphene super computer components, screens etc.
Super internet speeds.
Now super, super wifi!

We will have touch screen interactive wall paper soon enough! I am excited beyond belief. I do worry about the negative health effects of super wifi though.. normal wifi is bad for you along with most if not all man made radiation..

Massive news!
Source

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
And the downside is...............

Of course, all that remains is for the team to develop the technology into something robust enough to use on a commercial scale—and there's no telling how long that might take. [Nature via ExtremeTech]

Or, how much it is going to cost?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
And the downside is...............

Of course, all that remains is for the team to develop the technology into something robust enough to use on a commercial scale—and there's no telling how long that might take. [Nature via ExtremeTech]

Or, how much it is going to cost?

and of course they have to manipulate the technology into every war machine possible and have their war to try it out before it's released for public consumption.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

wow...that is crazy impressive...thanks OP

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This is pretty amazing. I love gaming, and I know it's a rather narrow minded approach in looking at the breakthrough, but just imagine how awesome online gaming will be if everyone has top notch ping. Considerably less, or better yet no lag would really make for a perfect scenario and something in which the industry should employ as a universal standard. No connectivity without super WiFi!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
This is pretty amazing. I love gaming, and I know it's a rather narrow minded approach in looking at the breakthrough, but just imagine how awesome online gaming will be if everyone has top notch ping. Considerably less, or better yet no lag would really make for a perfect scenario and something in which the industry should employ as a universal standard. No connectivity without super WiFi!

No longer shall man have valid reason to rage quit!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique

Originally posted by spinalremain

No longer shall man have valid reason to rage quit!

and the lag noobs will simply be noobs.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I heard they do buy sending signals in a DNA like doulbe helix.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
In laymans terms in regards to telecom.
In reality the speed is only increased in volume.
It is a pipe the bigger the pipe the more you get.
In telecom, as far as what you get through cables and wires you will pay more for a bigger pipe.
As far as wifi there will be a danger to people with the transmission with larger band width and more POWER.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

This is how they will make us play games in the cloud so they can shut down the 2nd hand game market. BASTARDOS!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Here is another cool invention for the future from MIT in 17th May 2012
Video: MIT's Latest User Interface Employs Gravity-Defying, Levitating Metal Orbs
www.popsci.com...
"The future of user interfaces seems to be gesture-based, at least if one simply looks at where research dollars are flowing and what products--yes, like the Kinect--are coming to market. But the peripheral is not dead. Jinha Lee at the Tangible Media Group at the MIT Media Lab sees a different future, one that dispenses with gravity to create a much more tangible yet futuristic UI that lets users move and interact with floating, gravity-defying objects in 3-D space.

Lee’s prototype ZeroN is a small metal orb floating in free space that users can manipulate by moving around and placing in midair. Suspended by a highly tuned electromagnetic field, the orb really does seem to levitate, and the degree to which the system keeps the ball stable even as it is moved around on all three axes is pretty mind-blowing. The ball floats until it is moved, and when placed in a point in space it stays there. And with an added layer of software surrounding it, the orb becomes a tool for all sorts of applications.........."
www.popsci.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
7 Blu-ray movies per second , huh ?

So, when do we get to see this technology become mainstream ?
My bet is NEVER.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

order yourself an OC3.

join