It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jimmy Carter, Israel and "Apartheid"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally
It seems to me that Carter's demonization of Israel by misusing the word apartheid against it, coupled by his watering down of what the ARABS of the north are doing to the blacks in the south, WREAKS of politicization. He amplifies one situation and tones down another all for the purpose of strengthening public attention on Israel and off of Darfur.

Actually, I think you have a point and am impressed at the presentation you have made, although I think that there is a double-edged sword at work here. Most certainly, the tide is turning, and the foreign policy, of the main investors in the Israeli/Palestine issue, the US and UK have been developing a more pro-Arab stance, largely as a means of protecting their future interests. Nothing new there, but also, by comparing the Israeli situation to the Aparteid they are belittling the experience of South Africa, and African civil rights movement in general, which given that Nelson Mandela is, very sadly, waning, I personally find this very troubling.

Interesting. Thank you.

edit on 30-6-2013 by KilgoreTrout because: surplus wordage...

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ilovecatbinlady

Actually, Mandela didn't write this. Arjan El Fassed wrote it as satire. Mandela never referred to Israel as apartheid and actually neither did carter. Carter was using the word in reference to the occupied territories, not Israel.

<< 1   >>

join