It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is a disease

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Religion is a disease of the mind and you can't argue with a disease. If you point out the many flaws/evil statements in the bible, they'll claim you're interpreting it wrong......if you point out the absurdity of "free will", and our ability to influence outcomes, in the context of "god's plan", you'll get a lot of cognitive dissonance....if you point out the science of evolution/physics, they'll merely claim those are god's tests (test for what?....god already knows what's going to happen).

Epicurus said it best, "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?".

But, the fact that someone can claim that we have "free will", yet also claim to be "god fearing" really underscores the level of cognitive dissonance involved in religious ideology: We're free to choose what we want, but if that choice doesn't involve worshiping our master (without a shred of tangible evidence), we'll be tortured in the most horrible way for eternity....seems legit.

P.S. - It's always cute when some religious person gives me the following argument: "But, what will you do when you're in front of god on judgement day....how could you deny his power"? To which I reply, "I wouldn't...I would willingly, and easily, both accept him/her and apologize for not following whatever edict it was that he wanted me to adhere to." To them, that means I'm a hypocrite and that my atheist "beliefs" are malleable. But, that's because they don't grasp that atheism isn't a belief system; it's an absence of a belief system based on the merits. If god shows up on my doorstep today, I'll be a believer.....it's really not that complicated.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Religion /= Bible

mycommonsensepolitics.net...:the-power-of-myth&catid=52:humans&Itemid=57

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Im not sure if i would call it a disease...

I would say religion can be defined as people taking advantage of the fact that people fear the unknown...

God can be known... but one certianly can't know him while religion is leading your beliefs...

What happens when the blind lead the blind?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Ive always thought of it more like a mental illness - As someone who grew up in an extremely religious family that's my take. This video explains the concept well-

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The word religion actually means - to rejoin.

Some fine day we'll come to recognize what the work and teachings of Jesus Christ REALLY mean and signify, so I'm glad that it's been preserved and passed down through time and in that sense the church is good, but in so many other ways, well, we all know the history and the conflicts and the extreme ignorance and intollerance that religion seems to generate, but in matters of the heart and soul it still speaks and has something of great import to say about man's standing and destiny within God's creation.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TrgiclyHip

Thanks for that video link.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vrill
Epicurus said it best, "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?".

That argument is pathetic and disgraceful.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Ya thousands of years of biblical scholars studying religions in every part of the world....

And you are the one smart enough to debunk it and call it a disease.
LOL

This idea makes me question your ability to use sound judgment when analyzing evidence.

In other words, you sound like a moron. Do some research before forming such a strong opinion.

I personally find those who bash others beliefs quite repulsive.
Belief is a choice, and who's to say your reality is any more real than another's based on what they believe to be true. Believe what you want just don't impose it upon others. The ideas and concepts are already out there, you just have to be ready to receive them.

Also if ones motivation to believe in religion helps them become a better person and enjoy a more fulfilled life, why do you care? Mind your own business!

edit on 29-6-2012 by knightsofcydonia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Ive thought about starting a thread about it many times... I really like that video, It resonates with me and my experience. So thanks for starting the thread

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

How so?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

reply to post by TrgiclyHip

Thanks for that video link.

Where is the thanks for the video link I posted? Do you realize how many orders of magnitude mine is superior by? Like, millions. Do you know how hard it is to find that vid? Pretty hard.

As an open-minded truth seeker I'm sure you're going to watch my link. I look forward to your report afterwords.

edit on 29-6-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

link   
If religion is a disease then Jesus is the cure.

link   
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

And someone worshiping a God without any sound evidence makes me question your judgement on the matter. But then you have.....faith. I guess?

To be honest, worshiping Jesus Christ goes into the same category as UFOs, Sasquatch, Area 51s and Alien autopsies and the whole Ancient Alien belief system....and really, that is a lot more believable to me.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

thousands of years of biblical scholars studying religions in every part of the world.... And you are the one smart enough to debunk it and call it a disease

For thousands of years aphids have been letting ants enslave them- does that mean that if you don't believe in slavery you're stupid??

Religion is a tool of enslavement and those who have let themselves be enslaved by it for millennia are foolish.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
Religion /= Bible

mycommonsensepolitics.net...:the-power-of-myth&catid=52:humans&Itemid=57

Why do you think they call it the "Buy-Bull"?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Ding ding ding. Winner.

Religion is a disease/cancer that is holding society back.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I have a mental illmess. I have faith. Anything else you can to bash me for?
Whatever pleasure you get from asserting your superior wisdom gives me zero respect for you as a person.
Internet bullying degrades this website.
edit on 6/29/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

To be honest, worshiping Jesus Christ goes into the same category as UFOs, Sasquatch, Area 51s and Alien autopsies and the whole Ancient Alien belief system....and really, that is a lot more believable to me.

Ya that makes sense because Sasquatch taught others how to turn the other cheek, live moral lives, and become decent human beings...

You have to be joking.. This cannot be a real argument against religion..? Believing in something that aids someone in self actualization is different from believing in stupid conspiracy theories like ufos area 51 and yetis..

Please re think your logic! It is fatally flawed.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

No, but people call those things myths too. Its why it should all be in the same category.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

What makes you think you are any less religous than a zealot Christian , you out your faith in evolution , theory with more holes in it than the titanic . Evolution is your religion itch your scientist priests you force your lies down children's throats attempting to permanatly damage their fragile eggshell minds with nonsense lies of spontaneus generation of life . The mathematical odds for one strain of DNA occurring randomly is minimally one in ten to the forty thousand power , yet you believe this how life came about.

I find it sad at best the ignorance it takes to follow this lie slash pseudo religion , for the record you have absolutely zero proof that we evolved ZERO. But their are many of Christians who have had God reach out to them in their lives proving He is real unlike your boarderline child abusing lie of evolution. This site is about denying ignorance yet if you study the prophets of the bible , secular history and u durst and that all the prophecies were given to us as examples of what to expect in these end times , then you can only come to one conclusion the prophecies are true and God gave them to s to prove He exists . The bible tells us exactly that so we will see the events happen as foretold knowing God lives outside time itself .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join