It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grandparents fined for having kiddy pool in front yard!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Then you should teach your kid to not go into another person's yard and respect their property.

Oh yeah - - make sure that 2 year old understands respect for other people's property - - - that has a brightly colored kiddie pool.

And that does what for the kid that sneaks out when mommy (or gramma) is busy putting clothes in the washer?

No matter how careful you are - - - if a kid wants to sneak out - - - he is going to sneak out.

edit on 29-6-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

Yup. I'm from Florida. Kids drown in pools EVERY DAY. They have to be fiendish about the regulations on pools, because they are everywhere, and the stupid little brats tend to DROWN in them. They must be fenced in. My parents were not idiots, and taught me to swim before I could even walk for just this reason. However, most morons don't teach their kids how to swim. Those "nosy neighbors" would just love to sue grandma and grandpa for everything they've got after their defective brat drowned in the pool.

I can also relate to the evil neighbors who think it looks bad having some cheap kiddie pool out in front. Cause it does. Back yards are out of view, and also tend to be more FENCED IN.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jawnaw2000
The problem is with the neighbors as well. Because most of the time, the city enforcers who write the citations are overwhelmed and only give fines when prompted by nosy neighbors. That's what I hate. You can't even do anything anymore because you don't know what neighbors are going to infom on you about.

In Roanoke, Va all of the enforcement is complaint driven... if your neighbor doesn't like you they just start calling the city to complain......

it is not a balanced system when enforcement is complaint driven ....

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Is it me or recently these ridiculous stories have been coming up more often?
Sometimes I feel like I lived on a different rock than I did 5 years ago.
edit on 29-6-2012 by PurpleVortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos

Then you should teach your kid to not go into another person's yard and respect their property.

Oh yeah - - make sure that 2 year old understands respect for other people's property - - - that has a brightly colored kiddie pool.

And that does what for the kid that sneaks out when mommy (or gramma) is busy putting clothes in the washer?

No matter how careful you are - - - if a kid wants to sneak out - - - he is going to sneak out.

Yup. I'm from Florida. Kids drown in pools EVERY DAY. They have to be fiendish about the regulations on pools, because they are everywhere, and the stupid little brats tend to DROWN in them. They must be fenced in. My parents were not idiots, and taught me to swim before I could even walk for just this reason. However, most morons don't teach their kids how to swim. Those "nosy neighbors" would just love to sue grandma and grandpa for everything they've got after their defective brat drowned in the pool.

I can also relate to the evil neighbors who think it looks bad having some cheap kiddie pool out in front. Cause it does. Back yards are out of view, and also tend to be more FENCED IN.

Thanks. It may sound silly and petty - - but I know its not. An unfenced - unattended accessible pool of water can be deadly. No matter how small.

And - - - I have had a neighbor from Hell. So I do understand how annoying and expensive that can be. But I finally got them back - - not by calling the police - - but by letting them know I knew what they were growing in their green house. They never bothered me again.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
This is stupid. Stupid stupid stupid. People would laugh over here if they got told they couldn't have a pool in their own front garden.. or grow food in their own garden..

STUPIDITY.

It is really not stupid.

Toddlers can drown in 3 inches of water. Not every person is responsible for emptying and putting away a kiddy pool when they are not using it.

It is possible for a neighbor child to wander into the yard and drown.

SAY WHAT!!!!!
Oh like the back yard would be any safer

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967

SAY WHAT!!!!!
Oh like the back yard would be any safer

Yeah - - its called a fence.

Back yards are more likely to be enclosed.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleVortex
reply to post by seeker1963

Is it me or recently these ridiculous stories have been coming up more often?
Sometimes I feel like I lived on a different rock than I did 5 years ago.
edit on 29-6-2012 by PurpleVortex because: (no reason given)

I think you live UNDER a rock. But its the same one youve always lived under.

These stories are not new. This law is 50 years old.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Oh come on! You really can't be serious about using that "OH WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" crap load?

You won't let a person have a pool in their front yard in order to protect the children?

I am absolutely serious. I am raising my grandson who is now 4.

I empty and put away his kiddie pool every time he is not using it. Not every person does this.

We went for a walk - - and he ran right into someone's front yard who did not put their pull away - - and got in it.

SO YES! IT DOES ABSOLUTELY CREATE A DANGEROUS SITUATION.

BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE IS RESPONSIBLE.

Including you for letting your child run into someone's pool. What the difference if the pool is in a backyard rather than a front yard?

Oh right, none. It's just as easily gotten into. I guess the philosophy is supposed to go like this "People have fences in their back yards" but guess what? A fence never kept neighborhood kids off my trampoline, and most certainly doesn't keep them out of your pool... furthermore, lots of people have fenced in property, fence or no fence, the pool in the front is against most ordinances.

Do you know why? Because it's a violation of code... do you know what the code says? It's an eyesore. So the official reason you can't have pools or gardens in the front is because your neighbors "don't want to see it" (evidently) not because it's a risk to children. If the children were appropriately supervised they couldn't end up in a neighbors pool without permission, now could they?

I'm just saying, do you even think before the words come out?

P.S.

Kids drown in backyard pools all the time, lets outlaw pools altogether then, for the children! Yeah?

No. How about you be more responsible with your children.
edit on 29-6-2012 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I think you live UNDER a rock. But its the same one youve always lived under. These stories are not new. This law is 50 years old.
reply to post by stanguilles7

Were I live kiddy pools are not banned, seems like I need to help lift the rock you are under if u say pretty please.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Pools in front yards look tacky and it makes the neighborhood look bad. These people should read up on the laws of the areas they move into before they move there, that way we wouldnt have these sob stories of people being 'victimizied.' If you have a backyard, why would you even put the pool in the front? There would be more privacy out back plus you wouldnt have to worry about the kid running into the street or some stranger trying to abduct them, etc.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleVortex

I think you live UNDER a rock. But its the same one youve always lived under. These stories are not new. This law is 50 years old.

Were I live kiddy pools are not banned, seems like I need to help lift the rock you are under if u say pretty please.

You stated you think these things are becoming more common. They arent. You're just being over-dramatic. Perhaps due to boredom.

Also, if you tell me where you live, i bet i can find myriad local regulations for your area.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laokin

So - - how many children have you raised? I have 2 grown daughters - an 18 year old grandson - - and am now raising 2 grandchildren.

I am fully aware of local regulations. Los Angeles had plenty. If someone complained about noise coming from your house - - the police put sound receivers on your perimeter. If the sound receivers could hear your TV - - it was against the law and you could be fined.

I now live in the county - - in the middle of the Sonora Desert on acreage and have no local regulations.

My response was to someone saying it was STUPID. I was not responding to specific regulations.

It is not STUPID - - as it can be a death trap to a wandering child that escaped "home confinement". And if you think that doesn't happen to even the most diligent parent - - - you would be wrong - - and/or inexperienced.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Originally posted by seeker1963

WTH has happened in this country?

Much ado about nothing. Not everyone is entitled to have a pool. They will have to get a pool membership like the rest of us.

And don't worry, it happens to millionaires too. They would buy property and expect to put a pool in later and their land setup and ordinances don't allow it. I used to see it all the time.

Yep..

A "companion contribution" later......

A local business that a member of the zoning committee just happens to own gets a new lucrative contract....

Zoning exception issued and new pool for the millionaire.

Don't be naive.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laokin

So - - how many children have you raised? I have 2 grown daughters - an 18 year old grandson - - and am now raising 2 grandchildren.

I am fully aware of local regulations. Los Angeles had plenty. If someone complained about noise coming from your house - - the police put sound receivers on your perimeter. If the sound receivers could hear your TV - - it was against the law and you could be fined.

I now live in the county - - in the middle of the Sonora Desert on acreage and have no local regulations.

My response was to someone saying it was STUPID. I was not responding to specific regulations.

It is not STUPID - - as it can be a death trap to a wandering child that escaped "home confinement". And if you think that doesn't happen to even the most diligent parent - - - you would be wrong - - and/or inexperienced.

as it can be a death trap to a wandering child that escaped "home confinement"

So is the street that the kid has to cross to get to my front yard kiddie pool. I mean, automobiles aren't dangerous or anything.... ban my pool, cuz my pool got him hit by a car. Logic, meet annee.

I think you miss the point. The point is, pool front yard, pool backyard, does not increase or decrease the chances of it being used by wandering kids.

I had a trampoline in my front yard, kids jumped on it all times of day, all times of night. I moved it to the back yard behind a 6' fence, kids still jumped on it all times of day and all times of night.

Front yard, back yard, makes no difference in the safety of your wandering child. The only way to increase the safety of a wandering child in this context is to not have a pool at all. Hence, you saying it's safer in the back is a fallacy, it's not true. The only way it's safer is if it's contained within a locked barrier... in which case, if the barrier is scalable, it's still not safe.

So by your logic, the only way to have a pool safely that can cohabitate with children is to put one inside a pool house. This is absurd.

You sound like the lady at the pharmacy I ran into today. I was standing about 6 feet behind the person in front of me, she yelled at me and said "Sir, you need to stand by the black pole." The black pole was a foot and a half away from me. A foot closer to the counter, a half of foot to my left.

I promptly moved and said, "Did that make some kind of difference?" She responded "Yes, it's for privacy" I responded "I can hear the same as where I was standing, and see more where you told me to stand" she told me "I'm sorry, it's just policy." When I go to the counter I reiterated my sentiments again, that it was actually not offering any more privacy... she was incapable of understanding.... just like you here.

It's not the location of the pool, it's the mere fact of having one that presents the danger. This is why you have to have home owners insurance in most counties to own a pool or a trampoline on your property.

There is no difference in safety risk at all.

P.S.

I don't have to raise any kids to understand that no matter what you do you cannot keep kids off of your property.... Furthermore, I don't have to raise kids to understand that anything on your property that is "potentially dangerous" by your logic puts kids in danger.

Why don't you go ahead and childproof the planet earth while you're at it? Make sure you put a rubber bumper on every tree and fill every crevice so there are no places for little johnny to fall to his death. Also, you might want to ban automobiles and roads, since your kids might escape the confines of their house and wander into the middle of the street. (A much more dangerous situation than having a kiddy pool in your front yard, I might add. Look up how many kids drown in front yard kiddie pools vs how many get struck by automobiles and maybe you'll see just how absurd your logic is.)

We should all live in giant rubber bubbles for the safety of the KIDS!!!!

P.S.S.

My mom never lost track of me. I've never lost track or had my little brother escape. Kids get hurt, it happens. Guess what, with never being lost track of, I've still been personally struck by a vehicle (while I was on the side walk I might add, we should ban sidewalks now too) I've still had stitches, I've still broken bones. Trees are also dangerous to kids, so I guess that means we aren't allowed to shade our property now too, right? Kids climb trees, they fall out of them too, since they can die falling out of a tree, it's time to ban all trees from the front yard!

I mean seriously, no offense to women in general, but if your name wasn't annee, I'd still know you were a woman.
edit on 29-6-2012 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Why must everything, everything end up with the Corporation known as the city getting money?

What happened to a nice local guy coming by and saying, "the neighborhood has a rule, for safety and aesthetic, that prohibits pools and such in the yard." "Can we let you know this, and work with you to sort this out in some way?"

Why are these people CRIMINALS? They have hurt no one, yet fine and possible jail time for this? Why do people accept this day in and day out, why is giving the government money and answer to anything at all?

I am the FIRST cranky oldman, and that pool and that neighborhood looks terrible to me, BUT, my eyesore does not mean the CITY gets money! The harmed party would be me, my eyes, not the city which has no eyes.

Why to people tolerate this at all? Why do the people accept that constantly beating people over the head with the "give me your money" billy club is the best way to teach them? Bring back the WHIP, the leg irons, the local noose in the town square if you really want to train the awful people.

When exactly are the people of this country, this planet, going to stop the "training" of them by this method? It is training. You say to the dog, "don't pee on the carpet or I'll beat you." You say to the human dog, "don't put a pool in your yard or I'll fine you." Worse, in this case it was, "now that you put a pool in your yard I fine you!"

Please define the difference between the dog and human dog training here...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
most of zoning is about keeping the neighborhood looking nice

rules are rules

you can't have a rusty '59 chevy on your front yard either

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

You stated you think these things are becoming more common. They arent. You're just being over-dramatic. Perhaps due to boredom. Also, if you tell me where you live, i bet i can find myriad local regulations for your area.

I stated stories in general on ATS, not any story specifically. I think your the one being over dramatic on a mission to prove people wrong on this thread and the last thing I'm going to do is tell you were I live.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Sidewalks tend to run along the front of the yard.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
You see, this is the crap attitude I don't get either. A person can't control themselves so they ahve to control other people.

Screw you. Control you and yours first and let other people be.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join