It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Database of what you can barter for after SHTF

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
White rice is great for it basically has an unlimited to spoil time. Now brown rice and other rice are like 2 to 5 years but white has no oils and so lasts basically as long as you maybe need it in the future. I store 200 pounds in a dry cool place in sealed containers as a start. Osmosis water purifier is basically is a life time worth of good water too.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
My major bartering tool if/when SHTF would be cigarettes for all you nicotine addicts. Cigarettes are hot commodity in prison, so imagine the demand when they are no longer manufacturing.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NTellect
My major bartering tool if/when SHTF would be cigarettes for all you nicotine addicts. Cigarettes are hot commodity in prison, so imagine the demand when they are no longer manufacturing.

And...when you run out of ciggies...I'll still have my tobacco growing....

Des

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I have to say do you really think you or anyone else is ganna drive or walk however many 100's of miles to go steal the OP's goats from his farm probably out in the middle of the country surrounded by 100's of other goat farms??? some of you guys are just silly clowns that just like to come into threads and say how you shouldn't talk about survival.... how about you lead by example and stay out.

Everyone realizes there is a small risk in posting here but decides to do it anyway to gain knowledge. There is a small risk in everything. If anything i would worry more about the government tracking us.

Back to OP, I've started growing tobacco plants, as a non smoker. Food could be tight but that is something that is useful to have for high value commodity trading in the event the government falls. suppose to be ridiculously easy to grow, its like a weed.

ETA- O sorry, OP also admitted to having a wood burning oven.. whoopty whoop guys. Everything else he has is skill based, or something he has access to in the local surroundings.
edit on 30-6-2012 by Nephlim because: eta

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

I'm a Yat from SE Louisiana. I got your back against anyone trying to steal your stuff. Doubt you'd need it though. My buddies up in North La would be quite fine protecting themselves and their stuff. And their family, friends, and community would have their back.
I'll barter with sugarcane, trout, redfish, shrimp, crawfish, seasonings, and liquor. I'm guessing we pretty much have the same game meat (and alligator skins).
Between SE La, CENLA, you guys up north, West Florida, and Cajun Country, Louisiana will be fine should the SHTF. Just stay away from Nola, BR, and Lake Charles. They will be pure hell and likely devolve into Somalia conditions within a few days.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
As a female, I can provide you or those in your company, with various sexual services with either myself or with my submissives. Our services will be in exchange for food, salt, and possibly cleaned and dried furs, or any other goods that you are in possession of that we are interested in, which will be weighed using the scale in my pack.

The scale will be tested to be accurate and true by using a US Nickel.

For my and my girls own protection the engagement will occur within a shelter with two of my best Captains standing watch by the entrance. They will be bearing arms. No more than 3 of your women or 2 men may partake in our services at once. Let it be noted that for those of your crew who wish to watch a small tax will be added towards our trade based on how many eyes are watching.

Also note that, my Scouts will also be in your encampment, or the surrounding area there of bearing arms and weaponry as well, to ensure my safety and a fair exchange. My scouts are experts at ninja weaponry, guerilla warfare, hunting, and are very illusive. They are extremely lethal within close quarters as well as from afar. I will also have as few as 4 but no more than 8 trained snipers within a mile of the surrounding area as well. Please remember, my snipers are tremendously deadly from long-range, having served in the wars of the middle east and having attained a high kill count.

However, do not fear, we are a peaceful group and do not intend any harm. We only ask for a fair trade.

But for the sake of myself and my female accompaniment, we must be protected. Also, the two of my best Captains, who will be standing watch by the entrance, are former Marines and will strike at the slightest hint of danger towards myself or my girls, please always keep this at the back of your mind.

That said, my girls will provide you with utmost enjoyment and extreme delight.
There is no request we will turn down.

Should trouble arise however, we would like you to know, that myself and all of my submissives are masters at using knives within close-quarters during combat. However, do not let that get you down, for we are here to be of your service Master and we beg to please you so much.

In closing I would just like to remind you that, the rest of my encampment of soldiers and mercenary men, hunters and slayers,scouts and calvary, are expecting us back by nightfall and should we not return or should my 2 fastest scouts who run at the speed of white-tailed deer send word of danger, they will be coming here to your encampment in hordes searching for us, knowing the exact location from the map that 2 of our fastest scouts had made prior to us coming here. And should anything have happened to us once they arrive, you will feel the ultimate force of our mighty thunder and our wrath of doom reign down upon you like the force of nature itself.

But do not fear! For we are a peaceful group and do not intend any harm. We only ask for a fair trade.

edit on 6/30/2012 by agent violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

We are open to trade for all of those items you mentioned, in exchange for our aforementioned services.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Other things people will be itching to have and are great for trading - Coffee, Tea and sugars. Cooking fats. Those were some things I hadn't seen mentioned which will be ever so difficult to get.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
hey im from south louisiana. they're like too different states lol

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The new "currency" 1 month into the long term, widespread geographic SHTF scenario:

1. .22 LR bullets. ("dollars")
2. 12 Ga. shells of any type. ("twenties")
3. Anything antibiotic or antiseptic. (Many hundreds)
edit on 30-6-2012 by tkwasny because: Addition

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
How about having things people will want,,Like
shampoo
soap
toilet paper
Drinking alcohol
lighters
matches
parachute cord
razorblades
sharpening stones
and.... Twinkies

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Thanks for the list of what I can steal from you come survival time
reply to post by captaintyinknots

That was too funny.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by agent violet

Need a picture first and list of services.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

If one of you girls had a good team of mules I'd be interested....send pictures of the mules first.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
The essence of the thread though, having an inventory of skills/goods that you could both barter with, and those you'd barter for...isn't a bad idea.

I plan to stock up on some things I don't necessarily use, but that will be in demand by others...(cigarettes and alcohol, for example). That way, I can barter with these easily enough, without giving up something essential for our survival.

Services are the real kicker though. Because people can't really "steal" these very easily, so they'll have to make a deal for them, especially if something they will keep needing. So, someone with skills that can be marketable in a post-SHTF scenario, will be pretty well-off.

Services like:

Mechanic
Construction
Plumber
Electrician (no doubt some settlements will eventually have it)
Tailor
Cobbler (shoes)
Farmer
Fisherman
Hunter
Warrior (mercenary)
Looter (by this I mean someone who can get in and out quick, enter locks, etc.)
Cook (much more valuable without foods of convenience we're used to. Someone who knows how to make things from scratch).
Doctor/Nurse (these folks will be rich, in whatever settlement they reside)

Greetings Gazroc:

Great list!

In addition to tobacco and alcohol (which we don't use), toilet paper and propane bottles will be at the top of many lists. We bury caches in watertight containers of TP with 'other essentials' in unique-to-the-few places for general principles.

It's not like one has just one knife, or other things.

Looks like we're in good shape, as we have all those bases you listed above covered except the Cobbler... there isn't even one in this small town to recruit!

And you probably have them all covered on your farm, too. We grew up on 160 acres in Western Colorado (a river runs through it - the Uncompahgre) over 60 years ago and learned things that 'cityfolk' have no clue of, and sometimes that means making a part to fix something out of what you have thoughtfully saved on the 'scrap' pile.

Guess that's like being a Georgia country cook (we are) - whatever isn't still wriggling goes in the pot - and sometimes that criteria is not truly honored, if you know what we mean.

BTW, how long do you leave your road-kill on the highway for tenderizing? Three, maybe four cars or two semis?

As to this great thread, good on ya, OP Thunderheart.

We've got your back if that nefarious 'IP Tracker' (what a waste of bandwidth!) gets too near.

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]
"I Have Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Sort of off topic but also related. Has anyone seen the show on national geographic with the survivalists and there plans if SHTF? Some of the bartering items I saw some of them had doesn't have to be essentials, Luxuries can also be great bartering items

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
IF there is a general collapse, then the first person to take a boat across the gulf of Mexico and bring back some coffee beans will be doing the equivalent of founding a mercantile empire.

And if you got sugar production up and going, that would be coffee, sugar and rum at the same time!

Seriously, every local area has some product in such abundance as to be practically worthless right now, but which would become extra-valuable after civilization collapsed.

For instance, central Texas has a large supply of mediocre coal. It hasn't been economically exploitable until just recently. But imagine if all the of the factories in the rust belt could no longer function. Then, blacksmithing would make a huge comeback, and coke is far more effective for metal working that mere burning wood could ever hope to be.

communities on the coast would have seafood and salt. folks in land have oil, grain, etc. Urban areas would be prime salvage yards.

Trade could be done by sail-boat, by motorcycle or bicycle (like the Ho Chi Minh trail), horse, donkey and backpack. Heck, it would mean lower unemployment, that's for sure.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

I have nothing to barter as I will be living in the wild like my ancestors did before the white man came.

I am prepared.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Oh my...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

Yes, if I have learned anything from this thread is to invest in tobacco plants/seeds.
To my Louisiana brothers, yes it is like two different states, having lived in Morgan City for 18 years prior to moving up North I can attest to that.
I think subconsciously we all know that and that is why we always clarify North and South Louisiana!

Regarding BR, Shreveport, Lake Charles, N.O. and other large cities, I agree that they will quickly deteriorate to little Somalias and I feel for anyone that gets stuck there.
Fortunately where I'm at is mostly rural so usually only one or two roads come in and out so they will be easily guarded if need be to keep the hoards out or at least screen who is coming and going.

Who Dat!
and
Go Tigers!

edit on 1-7-2012 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join