It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Database of what you can barter for after SHTF

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
We probably will not have internet or yellow pages so we should put together a directory of what we can make/fabricate or what skills we have that may be useful and desired when we can't just run to walmart or home depot anymore.

I'll start it out.

I am in North Louisiana

1) I have a wood fired oven and I am able to bake delicious breads and pizzas.
2) I also make a fine goat cheese.
3) I can provide alligator meat and skin as well as small game furs.
4) Also sun dried fish meat (can be reconstituted with water to use like tuna).
5) Also have access to large quantities of salt.
5) I am an expert in all sub-sea work (I can go down to 300ft of water or put you there and bring you back alive and uninjured)

Would barter for soaps of all kinds and medicinal herbs that do not grow in my area, also candles and wild game jerky.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the list of what I can steal from you come survival time

Seriously though, not the best idea to advertise what you have in storage in a true survival situation.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Thank you for this comprehensive list.

I will personally make sure that your place is the first one on the looting list

Seriously, I think it may turn out to be a strategic disadvantage to provide lists of goods and services before knowing what type of apocalyptic scenario you will encounter.

While bartering may be a good idea when the zombi-apocalypse strikes, it may turn out to be impossible when millions of starving people roam the radiated landscapes after a much more likely global thermonuclear exchange.

ETA: lmfao @ poster above me. I swear I did not plagiarize !!

edit on 29-6-2012 by H1ght3chHippie because: Can't even spell lmfao right ..........

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Yeah, it's not a list of what I have, it is a list of what I can make/provide for barter, you have no idea what I have stored or where it is.
Obviously I have means and ways to protect myself from looters as I'm sure you do as well so i'm not worried when it comes to that.
But thanks for playing, and yes I did expect smartass posts like yours.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart
Yeah, it's not a list of what I have, it is a list of what I can make/provide for barter, you have no idea what I have stored or where it is.
Obviously I have means and ways to protect myself from looters as I'm sure you do as well so i'm not worried when it comes to that.
But thanks for playing, and yes I did expect smartass posts like yours.

Wasnt a smartass post whatsoever. I dont care whaat kind of protection you have, the best protection is staying hidden.

It is not a great idea to advertise this info, if the S were to truly HTF.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Fine, you made your point, you think I am posting a list of my food and supply storage, I disagree with you.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Fine, you made your point, you think I am posting a list of my food and supply storage, I disagree with you.

ok? Not sure why you are so offended here...

Do you not think you can be located based on IP address?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

What? I don't even know what we're arguing about anymore. No you can't find me through my IP, what are you talking about?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

What? I don't even know what we're arguing about anymore. No you can't find me through my IP, what are you talking about?

If you say so buddy.

For the record, I was never arguing. Again, Im really not sure what you are so offended about, unless you were hoping for people to come in and tell you how great your thread is....

and Yes, you can be tracked by IP, as well as many other ways.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
All I have is lots and lots of bullets...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Fine smart guy, find me using my IP, go ahead, I already gave you a head start by telling you I am in North Louisiana.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Although I get the intention of the thread, it definatley is not a good idea to tell people what you may have or what you can potentially get your hands on. In a SHTF scenerio, people will be desperate to get their hands on your goods/services.

I could easily see a band of marauders coming across you and either taking every thign you have, demanding you to lead you to whatever you have, or simply taking you hostage and forcing you to do whatever it is they want.

You're basically showing all the cards in your hand to everyone at the table by announcing this kind of information, which is never a smart move.

However, I do understand the point of the thread. If you establish connections with enough people and have trust in those people, then something like this would be of some use for sure.

As far as your approach to other posters pointing out the flaws behind what you're doing, completely disagree with what you did there. It's actaully extremely rude, and I would work on your people skills if you intend on bartering with anyone for anything. Work on increasing that speech attribute.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Fine smart guy, find me using my IP, go ahead, I already gave you a head start by telling you I am in North Louisiana.

You're kidding me, right? You need to find an outlet for your anger.

A basic "how to":
www.wikihow.com...

Furthermore, if you carry a cell phone, subscribe to cable, have electricity, have a landline, have registered a car, etc, you can be tracked.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyBuff

Haha, definitely the smartest answer anyone could come up with, at the current stage of the discussion.

Absolutely brilliant .. lol

edit on 29-6-2012 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
This broke down fast...

If it had turned into a conversation about the pros/cons of presenting this info, then I'd say it could be stimulating. However, the way this is going...I say just can this thread.

/delete.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

We probably will not have internet or yellow pages so we should put together a directory of what we can make/fabricate or what skills we have that may be useful and desired when we can't just run to walmart or home depot anymore.

I'll start it out.

I am in North Louisiana

1) I have a wood fired oven and I am able to bake delicious breads and pizzas.
2) I also make a fine goat cheese.
3) I can provide alligator meat and skin as well as small game furs.
4) Also sun dried fish meat (can be reconstituted with water to use like tuna).
5) Also have access to large quantities of salt.
5) I am an expert in all sub-sea work (I can go down to 300ft of water or put you there and bring you back alive and uninjured)

Would barter for soaps of all kinds and medicinal herbs that do not grow in my area, also candles and wild game jerky.

I am from Northern Illinois.

1. I have electric appliances that can be used to prepare a vast selection of processed and fresh food.
2. We have a shop in town the has an incredible selection of Cheese and Wine from all over the world.
3. I heard that people in Louisiana will eat just about anything that moves.
4. As a child I lived in Carbondale, Illinois and SIU had many Malaysian students that enjoyed sun dried small mouth bass that they'd catch in the lake. Their food stunk up the whole housing facility.
5. the local grocer has shelves full of salt.
6. I have no need to go deep in the water and can count from 1 to 6 without making a mistake.

for novelty purposes you'd make an amusing street vendor in Chicago. licenses only cost about $30.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
if you are looking for people in your locale then a site with world wide members may be a bit too much especially as its from people who could be the nasty people you hate just watching and recording..so if you want a good trade system i'd recomend visiting your actual locals not some [email protected] who's really a fbi guy

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

I would agree with you if I went on tv and showed everyone what i had or if i had itemized an inventory of what i actually have stored but obviously that would be foolish. Oh, and marauders would not be welcomed in my neck of the woods, too many of us that feel the same way. And yes, we're armed.

Look I thought it would be a good idea to have a list of people that could provide goods and services not available to my immediate area. If people don't agree than fine, no harm no foul.

And I am still waiting for mr. IP detective to locate me. He hasn't ever used a proxy I guess.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

reply to post by MmmPie

I would agree with you if I went on tv and showed everyone what i had or if i had itemized an inventory of what i actually have stored but obviously that would be foolish. Oh, and marauders would not be welcomed in my neck of the woods, too many of us that feel the same way. And yes, we're armed.

Look I thought it would be a good idea to have a list of people that could provide goods and services not available to my immediate area. If people don't agree than fine, no harm no foul.

And I am still waiting for mr. IP detective to locate me. He hasn't ever used a proxy I guess.

Yup, you're right. You're the only person in america who isnt trackable. Well done.

What a fantastic, origianal, brilliant, well thought out thread. (that is what you're looking for, right?)
edit on 29-6-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The essence of the thread though, having an inventory of skills/goods that you could both barter with, and those you'd barter for...isn't a bad idea.

I plan to stock up on some things I don't necessarily use, but that will be in demand by others...(cigarettes and alcohol, for example). That way, I can barter with these easily enough, without giving up something essential for our survival.

Services are the real kicker though. Because people can't really "steal" these very easily, so they'll have to make a deal for them, especially if something they will keep needing. So, someone with skills that can be marketable in a post-SHTF scenario, will be pretty well-off.

Services like:

Mechanic
Construction
Plumber
Electrician (no doubt some settlements will eventually have it)
Tailor
Cobbler (shoes)
Farmer
Fisherman
Hunter
Warrior (mercenary)
Looter (by this I mean someone who can get in and out quick, enter locks, etc.)
Cook (much more valuable without foods of convenience we're used to. Someone who knows how to make things from scratch).
Doctor/Nurse (these folks will be rich, in whatever settlement they reside)

edit on 29-6-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join