It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial "Stop and Frisk" policing coming to the West coast?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Lee, a former civil rights attorney, recently told The San Francisco Chronicle that he’s examining “edgy” tactics such as the New York Police Department’s “stop and frisk” policy. But civil rights groups say such methods lead to racial profiling.

What was once abhorrent and unthinkable became commonplace in one of America's largest cities.
Despite perpetual cries of racism, class-ism and harassment with little to no positive results (backed by search statistics) the tactic known as "Stop and Frisk" not only grows in NYC year after year but now sets ready to expand to the left coast.

Schlosser said New York saturated high-crime areas with officers stopping mostly young men of color in a search for guns. He said there was no proof of the policy’s effectiveness.

Link

PD's over there are notorious for their massive and far-reaching scandals and institutional bigotry. Seems at least one scandal a year mixes things up in SF or LA or both.

The last thing they need is the ability to harass at will.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Yep.... Try it here, people don't complain, so now try it there... soon everywhere.
Shame Totaly against the Constitution.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Well, I can tell you one thing....if they try it in Portland, they are going to have issues. I wouldnt think the people of SF would stand for it either.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Maybe if the US stopped selling MAC-10's in bubble gum dispensers at walmart they wouldn't have to put so much effort into taking them away again from civilians ?

Guns don't belong into the hands of civilians from the start. But I understand this is quite a controversial topic in the USA, so let's not go into that.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Yeah, thats right, guns only belong in the hands of militaries and governments

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

No we have rights so the police will respect them.I have to laugh at how often I hear from foreigners how easy it is to locate a gun and how horrible we are for having them.Perhaps once Halliburton takes over your "bobbies" you will finally realize the realities of which we expound,and your helplessness to stop any such effort. Making a central point and trying to shut down it's debate is quite ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

What Bobbies ? I'm from Germany. Duh.

The Police in my country is very polite compared to the standard US cop. I neither have to put my hands on the steering wheel in case I ever get stopped by the cops, and they sure don't taze me or pull their guns on me, or arrest me for minor offences. If you do commit a crime however, you *will* respect them, trust me.

And other than "Bobbies" they are well armed and compared to our elite units ( such as the GSG-9 ), the undisciplined and trigger happy mercenary thugs you mentioned are a joke.

new topics

top topics

join