It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Roberts Actually Help Bring Down Obamacare?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by seabag

They dug out that option and held it over everyone's head until they got 60 votes....do you think for a minute they wouldn't have done it had they fell short?

But they didn't do it...and you claimed they did.

Thanks for admitting you were wrong.

Sir, if I hold a gun in my hand and get you to give me your wallet does that mean I used a gun to commit the crime or must I actually fire the gun?

Spin it how you’d like!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

There is no spin...reconcilliation was not used to pass the ACA.

How hypocritical for Republicans to say they are going to use it to repeal it when they claimed it was Unconstitutional for the Democrats to use it to pass it.

tsk tsk.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

reply to post by seabag

There is no spin...reconcilliation was not used to pass the ACA.

How hypocritical for Republicans to say they are going to use it to repeal it when they claimed it was Unconstitutional for the Democrats to use it to pass it.

tsk tsk.

Goose...Gander....may be Karma....ya know.....

Des

edit on 29-6-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Look, we can do this the easy way or the hard way….either way, it will be repealed.

How hypocritical was it of Obama to blast Bush about debt and then run up unprecedented debt himself?

The left has never played by the rules….its time to fight fire with fire IMO.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Obama promised that he would give ample time for the public to read legislation. It didn't happen. Instead we got Pelosi saying: "We have to pass the bill for you see what is in it" You want to talk hypocritical?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Look, we can do this the easy way or the hard way….either way, it will be repealed.

It's not going anywhere for at least another 6 months

If Obama is re-elected...it is here to stay for good.

Before Republicans repeal it, they have to be ready to pass a replacement the exact same day or millions will lose insurance over night

I really doubt Republicans are going to come up with a replacement bill that will pass without a super majority in the Senate.

But keep on wishful thinking...I'll go ahead and stay in reality.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
Obama promised that he would give ample time for the public to read legislation. It didn't happen. Instead we got Pelosi saying: "We have to pass the bill for you see what is in it" You want to talk hypocritical?

The bill was online for months before it was passed and signed.

If you didn't read it...that's your fault.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

OK, we agree on something!

It won’t happen this year but the plans are in place to repeal it…all we need are the numbers.

Besides, if Obama gets re-elected we’ll have bigger problems than Obamacare. The country will fold economically. When that happens you can kiss your “free” contraception and healthcare (and life as you know it) good bye!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

OK, we agree on something!

It won’t happen this year but the plans are in place to repeal it…all we need are the numbers.

Besides, if Obama gets re-elected we’ll have bigger problems than Obamacare. The country will fold economically. When that happens you can kiss your “free” contraception and healthcare (and life as you know it) good bye!

Who said anything about "free" stuff...if it were "free"...no one would be mandated to buy insurance. You should really try to keep your attacks straight and consistent.

And you seemed to have skipped my last point about Republcians needing a replacement bill before repealing this one...I'm assuming you skipped it because you know that they don't have a replacement bill or even an idea for one.

Here's the thing...and I have known this all along...The health care bill was designed the way it was to make it hard to repeal. The early programs put into place almost gurantee that they have to stay in tact. This is why you only here vague rhetoric from Republicans when they talk about repealing the bill...they know this as well.

So sorry...but this is here to stay.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

The republican’s plan for replacement has been ready for over 3 years!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

And what are the details of that plan???

You can just go ahead and list them out....thanks.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Cantor laid them out prior to the vote years ago...google it.

The SCOTUS upholding Obamacare is the best possible outcome for republicans politically speaking. Obama and democrats’ campaign in November would have been about how activist republicans in the SCOTUS denied affordable healthcare to everyone. The focus now will be on the biggest tax increase in human history on everyone, not just the rich, and the worst economy in history. 

Yes, Roberts may very well have sealed Obama's fate. 

What's funny is how so many still defend his destructive policies. Do you want the country to fail?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Cantor laid them out prior to the vote years ago...google it.

I did...I don't see any details at all.

But you seem to know the details of their plan, because it seems like you already support it.

So why not just share those details with everyone.

Unless of course...there are no details.

The SCOTUS upholding Obamacare is the best possible outcome for republicans politically speaking.

Isn't if funny that up until yesterday that Republicans were saying that when the SCOTUS overturns the health care bill that it will doom Obama and be great for Republicans.

And now...all of a sudden...like magic...the opposite is true

Not like it's transparent as hell or anything.

What's funny is how so many still defend his destructive policies. Do you want the country to fail?

He got us out of a recession, he saved the auto industry, he killed Bin Laden, and he has done more for healthcare reform than any single president has done in the past.

I don't see the destruction.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

There is a PDF but I'm on my phone and I can't upload it. Look on the GOP website for a summary. 

He got us out of a recession, he saved the auto industry, he killed Bin Laden, and he has done more for healthcare reform than any single president has done in the past.

Out of a recession??

Killed Bin Laden?? With Bush's policies and military force..? 

He has single-handedly bankrupted the country!!

In which country do you live, sir?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

reply to post by seabag

I don't see the destruction.

The worst post recession recovery in history! We are living in a Kensyian hangover from the excessive printing of money and spending by this administration
online.wsj.com...

He saved the labor unions at GM, at the expense of the taxpayer and GM bond holders. The bond holders were not the rich, but the pension funds for teachers, firemen and workers across the country. He threw hundreds of years of contract law under the bus to get union support from the UAW.
www.forbes.com...

Bin Laden? A decade of hard work by our intelligence services put Bin Laden on a silver platter for Obummer. His position is to hamstring the very work that produced where Bin Laden was.
www.washingtonpost.com... YV1T_story_1.html

Now run along with your ice cream cone...
edit on 29-6-2012 by Tworide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Reply to post by neo96

The Affordable Care act is not a republican or democtratic idea. No party holds rights to the ideas within it.

What you aren't grasping here is that the Mandate was what the republicans wanted in place of a public option. Mitt's plan has a similar mandate. Public option was removed in favor of a more bi partisan approach and that includes the mandate.
I know your sources will never readily admit this nugget, and you're really only interested it Republicans receiving credit, but I am trying to help you understand the basics.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Really?

Actually no. He outlined as to why it is constitutional for one to be taxed if they do not comply with the law.

I've seen some spin in my time, but this is up there.
Roberts loves the mandate. I'm sure all his boats and new summer home were kindly provided for him by insurance reps. He is loving this. Weeeeeeeeee

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
interesting thread

after doing way too much reading on a very dry subject...well no, it was sorta like reading a book backwards...........well here it goes....the PPACA (obamacare) was passed by the senate on 12/24/09 (what?!? christmas eve....really?!?), the house on on sunday-3/21/10 and signed by hussein on tuesday-3/23/10 (wasnt one of his promises that a bill would be posted for 5 days before he signed it?)

the HC&E Reconciliation Act was passed by the house on sunday 3/21/10, the senate on thursday 3/25/10 and barry signed it on tuesday 3/30/10. this was used to amend the PPACA. a reconciliation bill is to combine into one bill the work of multiple committees that are changing federal spending and tax laws. apparently this can only be used once each year. it would seem, since it hadnt been used yet in 2010, the dems said 'hey, lets get something passed together or we will use this reconciliation thing. it can be amended later.' which is what the HC&E Reconciliation act was.

that said..it seems likely that another reconciliation act could be used to amend the PPACA in 2013.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The White House Press Secretary today said that they disagreed with Roberts opinion about it being a Tax. So the rhetoric from the campaigns this fall will clearly be that this was a tax. Assuming that there is a presidential debate, this will surely be one of the key topics that will be covered. It should be interesting to watch.

My prediction is that this will lead to the Republican party picking up a number of seats in the house and maybe a couple in the Senate. It looks too close to call still on the Presidential election, but if the Republicans do gain control of the Senate, the odds are strong that both houses will find a way to roll back the legislation.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join