It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Arrested for Warning People About Speed Trap!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Actually this is par for the course. Back in my younger days when a motorist would see a police officer on the side of the road running radar, they would flash their headlights or high beams as a way to warn other motorist. If you were seen doing this, you would be ticketed yourself. Instead of a ticket, I guess you get arrested now.

I'm not saying it is right... but with that being said, police do have a job to do. If they are running radar to catch people speeding, it is obstruction to warn others and stop them from speeding before they are caught in the speed trap.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
So next time how about she has a sign with small writing saying

please slow down in case there is

and then in large writing

SPEED TRAP

that way she would be asking people to slow down and NOT actually be alerting them to the actual speed trap.
I'm putting this forward as a seed for anyone on here who would like to "slow people down" in the future as well.

As someone else posted, now we shouls ALL go do something similar.

Now THAT would be awsome.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

As one user commented there are radio stations where folks snitch out speed traps as well as phone apps that alert users of such traps when near. Do we want them shutting down radio stations and taking down web sites in order to sneak around and setup revenue road blocks? Likely the radio stations probably get people to slow down with very few taking alternate routes so that they can speed.

Whilst I don't agree with your POV......Your post makes me wonder if the radio stations could actually assist police by adding false sitings or changing the reported location by a small amount (e.g. Say that the speed trap is in a slightly different location..... driver traveling from A to C gets information that a speed trap is at B when it is in fact at C.)

It could be a good way to help lower the road toll provided that the DJ's/radio stations would be willing to help.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
And cops stopping speeders does?

So I guess all those drivers collecting tickets or driving on suspended licenses or working on their 75th DUI learned their lessons a long time ago then, right? The news here just showed a guy who got his 80th DUI and he has already done prison time for his bad behavior twice. He just doesnt care.

Did I say that those who would be pulled over would have instantly stopped speeding? No, I didn't, so please don't assume you know what I mean. Most of the time, however, there are those that will stop excess speeding by getting pulled over and having the courts decide to fine them. It doesn't mean everyone will, but most will.
But with her sign, they all most likely would have slowed down until the police were out of their sight and started speeding again. Just like those who put their seatbelts on only when a cop is around.

People are either going to behave or they arent. No amount of law enforcement short of execution upon first offense will ever prevent misbehavers from misbehaving.

So you know this as fact, correct? You know that EVERYONE who gets pulled over for speeding would have kept right on speeding?

If there was a woman like this on every block warning of speed traps people might actually slow down and stay slowed. Her warning is more useful than any cop. Especially since half the time those "traps" are empty cruisers staged.

Her warning was only useful in that immediate area. Those people would have slowed to the appropriate speed, then once out of the way continue speeding. Just like they do when a speed camera is around.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I don't know about in other parts of the world, but here in Canada people driving on the highways will flash their headlights twice to oncoming drivers to warn them of a speed-trap in the direction they are headed. Technically this is illegal, but probably because it interferes with their profits

Yeah, I understand that speeding is dangerous, and I don't condone driving recklessly, but I encourage people to warn others of speed traps, simply because I don't like most police officers and don't want to see them profiting from us.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Edit: God damn double post.
edit on 30-6-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
There should be a website called SpeedTrap.com

List all the common speed traps for Huston online. Now let them try to arrest someone.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
This is ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

She was helping enforce the law? Let me get this scenario straight...

Cops set up a speed trap to catch people going to fast. Why? To enforce drivers to be mindful, and slow down. Woman gets a sign to warn the drivers to slow down due to speed trap, and they arrest her? Yeah that's about on the same level of abuse as Obama calling for Executive Privilege after he had already said he'd never seen any documents...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dxdydz

Good to hear that, it strikes a nerve hearing stories like this. I bet the officer was pulling over random people.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I think she deserves to be arrested. If you don't want to get caught for speeding then don't speed. Simple as that. Forget the money making aspect of it, there is a reason police don't want you to speed, it can be dangerous. There are way too many dumb nuts out there texting/talking on phones and other distracting tasks and when you combine speed then it just makes matters worse.
Don't want the police bugging you then don't do anything illegal.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by knoledgeispower
I think she deserves to be arrested. If you don't want to get caught for speeding then don't speed. Simple as that. Forget the money making aspect of it, there is a reason police don't want you to speed, it can be dangerous. There are way too many dumb nuts out there texting/talking on phones and other distracting tasks and when you combine speed then it just makes matters worse.

why do I feel you must live a massively boring life?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by steve1709

because you obviously think in order to have fun you have to break the law. I've always been able to have lots of fun without booze or drugs. I'm into outdoor activities and adventures not getting drunk and driving home.

That's not to say that I haven't done illegal activities, I've been smart about it and never been caught. If I had been busted then it only serves me right, I have no right to complain.

What she did is right up there with aiding criminal behavior by informing people that police were up ahead.
edit on 1-7-2012 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

This is the thing people don't understand. If you don't like police, don't do anything illegal. It's really really simple, but for some reason people just refuse to understand. It honestly baffles me why some people just don't get that.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Why does everyone hate speed traps so much?

We have LAWS for driving on the road, one of which is that we should be driving at a speed deemed appropriate for that road. So if it is past a school with lots of houses then it should be 30mph or lower for the safety of children and local residents, or if it is on a dual carriageway it is 70mph.

I have nothing against the police enforcing the LAW. I would expect them to do this with every law - it is their job to do this.

I drive to the speed limit as I do not want to break the law and refuse to pay into this pot and it does not adversly affect my journey by doing so. You guys should try it sometime.

Every day I see other drivers cutting each other up, forcing their way into traffic and driving dangerously. What is it with everyone? It seems as soon as we get behind the wheel we become agressive and lose any common sense we might have had.

It is quite simple really - if everyone drove to the speed limits there would be NO REVENUE raised at all - not a single penny.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

because you obviously think in order to have fun you have to break the law. I've always been able to have lots of fun without booze or drugs. I'm into outdoor activities and adventures not getting drunk and driving home.

That's not to say that I haven't done illegal activities, I've been smart about it and never been caught. If I had been busted then it only serves me right, I have no right to complain.

What she did is right up there with aiding criminal behavior by informing people that police were up ahead.

So if you've done things wong, and having the attitude you have, shouldn't you be whipping down to the local constabulary to turn yourself in?

Or should your first comment have included something like .... "and if you DO do something wrong .... DON'T GET CAUGHT"

That's why she should have made a sign as I mentioned earlier that asks something like

please don't speed there might be a SPEED TRAP (written in huge letters) around.
That way she would have only been asking people not INFORMING them.

Think about it, there are actually people who can't even be a safe driver even whilst staying under the speed limit and there are others who have the ability to still drive well at speeds above the speed limit.

I see this incident as just a muscle flexing creep demonstrating once again that it takes a special type of ..... lets just use the word individual, to be a cop.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by YarlanZey
Why does everyone hate speed traps so much?

Not quite the right question to ask to find the answer you are looking for.

The question should be why do people hate the police so much?

The answer would be because they dont understand how our Government works from small town up to the Federal Government.

They don't understand how laws work.

They don't understand their rights and how they work.

They don't understand how the 3 branches work let alone who falls under what and why.

I can keep going but you get the idea.
edit on 1-7-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

As bad as doctors that don't have a damn clue about how to really treat the human body, except for covering stuff up.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
How dare she limit that municipality's revenue!
Doesn't she know the police are just trying to keep society safe? Those dangerous speeders! Just look at the peril they cause:

NHTSA Study: Speed critical factor in 5% of crashes
"Traveling too fast" takes up 5% of crashes in this 3 year study. I know that covers driving too fast in extreme conditions, even when it's under the speed limit, but I'm sure there's some speeders in there, too! Surely lots of money should be invested in catching this huge percent of danger!

“Turning or crossing at intersection” was the number one critical pre-crash event (36 percent)"
So where are the police stakeouts monitoring intersections, if they're really concerned about public safety? Why the stress on "Speeders?"

How about this study fron the UK:
"Speeding drivers cause only 3% of car accidents"

Only 3 per cent of car accidents are caused by speeding drivers, Government figures have revealed.
Yet there are nearly 7,000 speed cameras across the country which are unable to detect 'careless or reckless' drivers who cause three times as many accidents.

Onward with the just and honorable assault against speeders and the extreme havoc they cause!!! Arrest anyone who dares interfere!!!!!!!

edit on 7/1/2012 by DiabolusFireDragon because: Aliens

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Sorry I don't know how to fix the shrinking of the words used in quotes.

Originally posted by steve1709

So if you've done things wrong, and having the attitude you have, shouldn't you be whipping down to the local constabulary to turn yourself in?

The illegal activities I used to partake in were 100% safe and could never be deemed as putting myself or others in harms way. Not so much a criminal behavior as it was something not to be done in public.

Or should your first comment have included something like .... "and if you DO do something wrong .... DON'T GET CAUGHT"
You are right, I should have said "if you are going to do something that is illegal, make sure it is something that can not cause yourself or anyone else harm or cause any damage to property." Some things are illegal when they shouldn't be and others are illegal because it poses a risk. That's how one should weigh their decisions/activities. I've always been one for "As long as what you are doing does not pose harm to yourself or anyone else then it is fine but anything that can bring about harm to yourself or others is not allowed"

That's why she should have made a sign as I mentioned earlier that asks something like

please don't speed there might be a SPEED TRAP (written in huge letters) around.
That way she would have only been asking people not INFORMING them.
That's not really asking someone, that is still informing them. It's like having a sign that says "Hey if you are going to kill someone, don't do it right here cause the cops are around"

Think about it, there are actually people who can't even be a safe driver even whilst staying under the speed limit and there are others who have the ability to still drive well at speeds above the speed limit.

Yes I know there are many people who should not have a license. I live in a town full of them. As a pedestrian who has almost been hit more then 50 times in the last 6years, I'm all for cops stopping people who shouldn't be behind the wheel. A vehicle is on average 4,000lbs of weapon and there needs to be more enforcement for the law to keep people safe. On average in 2009, 93 people were killed on the roadways of the U.S. each day.

I see this incident as just a muscle flexing creep demonstrating once again that it takes a special type of ..... lets just use the word individual, to be a cop.

Cops do need to be "muscle flexing creeps" demonstrating to people who seem to be clueless that they can not aid in criminal behavior or partake in criminal behavior. If you don't show people that they will have to pay for their crimes then they will seek havoc and chaos. That being said yes I know there a many a crooked cops out there who ruin it for the rest of the police. From age 5-11yrs old I wanted nothing more then do me a cop so I could help keep people safe. Then as I got older I saw the corruption behind the police and it really is a shame. I've had to relay on the police to help keep my family safe on more then one occasion and I'm so glad that there are people out there who lay their life on the line.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join