It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

91000 seals in Namibia to be clubbed and shot to death in a few weeks time.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

The government signed a 10-year contract with Yavuz, allowing him to cull 1 million seal pups for their skins. The contract ends in 2019. Alarmingly, the number of seals that the government has agreed to be culled exceeds the present seal population of Namibia.

“The only hope for the seals lies with the government itself,” said Hugo.

Until then, Yavuz’s words remain a reality: “The seal harvest will continue. The noises coming from Francois Hugo will not convince the Namibian State to halt the harvest. We will continue our business as usual.”

www.thenewage.co.za...

What does it say about us..the human species? You know the word human and humane are quiet similar but do we actually have anything humane in us? Clubbing helpless animals for profits in the most barbaric ways? I think the species which is called humans should be renamed as monsters and visa versa. Just imagine using a baseball bat and bashing in your head again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again until your body lies lifeless and still bashing it again to make sure you are dead. Then ripping your skin and organs to sell in a market.

Since ATS is board has more alien topics just imagine if tomorrow a alien species attack us to which we cannot respond and are helpless and they kill us in the most barbaric ways how would you feel? If the strongest rules the world is the way to go why then should we not support the superior aliens killing us - the so called human species in killing the inferior and weak race in whichever way they want?

If we the human species are so noble and humane why do we express shock when specific religious populace stone, hang, cut parts of bodies of other humans? Seriously ?? I mean seriously we call our species unique and thoughtful and capable of understanding our impact on other species if we act not for basic survival but for profit?

Are humans actually a virus? Many people would disagree but cant deny the fact we share a lot of features with a virus. We consume and consume and eradicate other species just for our profit. I actually see ourselves and our great great grandkids in a environment where we are the sole species on this planet - where we have eradicated tons of species for fun, fashion or for profit.

This thread is not sensational and does not reek of politics that we are so infatuated with and may disappear with almost no replies but my fellow friend I want share with you my thoughts, my feelings and what I think at this moment and this is special because I may not type this again and maybe not share with this you again and this is special because tomorrow a time may come when we leave our fingerprint in the face of our words on this internet - whether I live or not but my words can be accessed and may live longer than me. I only ask you to feel and actually be human and humane. Please help and make this world a better place.

I love you all and I hope you wont break my heart by being cruel to other humans and animals. Please think before you act, what you are doing - will it affect anyone else? Will it affect another species? Are you behaving in a good way?

I eat meat and I understand the need for food but try to understand what you are buying and selling absolutely essential for your survival? I am no one to lecture you but please... please put yourself in "their" place. How would you feel if that "monster" or "animals" was you?
edit on Fri Jun 29 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: ADDED SOURCE IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ek Bharatiya

I am in wholehearted agreement with you, Ek. One day there will be no elephants, rhinos, tigers, and all the other magnificent creatures we kill for no good reason, other than furs or for some fake medicinal purpose.

Not much we can do about it, I'm afraid. The best I can do is being a WWF supporter, giving money to help with endangered species, and their dwindling environments.

Sad...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
you know, the stipulations which are normally used to justify a cull (damaging the environment, negative impact on other species, disease prevention etc) would apply most perfectly to one species only. us.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
People need to be really careful with this.....

There are many dangers involved

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I am no animal rights activist by any stretch, however I am truly getting disgusted by our discrimination against non humans. Earthlings was a good documentary on speciesism, just dont watch it if you are in a chipper mood.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Humans are on the verge of witnessing another mass extinction as habitat diversity dwindles and this is definitely NOT helping!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
That's just too much negative energy being emitted..

Consequences will be had.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

You forgot to post a link

This isn't your source but it confirms the story and the frankly horrific numbers involved.

www.thenewage.co.za...

Killing for food is one thing. Killing to protect property or food supplies is understandable. Kiling to maintain an ecosystem or because of overpopulation is something I think we can all accept. Killing purely for greed and to satisfy primitive superstition is quite another.

The world needs to be made aware of this. This is the 21st century, not the 1st.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

You are right I forgot to post the link. To be frank the link didn't even matter to me more than the content to what I read and felt. I'm horrified and I am feeling disgusted. I dont even care if the link is not there because what I wrote is from my heart and I linked what my heart said in the link through the words. If that is not enough a connection between fellow humans than I dont imagine a internet link will express my feelings will be more helpful and express me in anymore adequate way.

But if any of you my fellow people wants the link here it is: 91 000 seals have weeks to live. I just hope if my words dont matter you the article may let you gain you more knowledge.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
People are also killing and eating cows at an alarming rate. I hope they don't go extinct. They have such soft eyes.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

The point being, we're eating them. And, indeed, breed them in the first place to eat them. They wouldn't exist otherwise.

There's a big difference between that and slaughtering tens of thousands of wild animals just because you can make a fortune selling parts of their body to ignornant people who subscribe to stone age superstitions.

It wouldn't be 'quite' so bad if we were going to eat the seal meat.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Here you see the brave men at work who kill the pups in Namibia...WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES at 0.50 minutes.
And all of that for 1 Turkish business man who want to make money. I sincerely hope, together with the idiots who buy his coats that they will rot in hell. Oh wait, I forget the Namibian guy at the government office who signed the contract.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

It does seem like a huge waste. One can be glad that the meat makes it back into the food chain. The Japanese have been known to make fertilizer out of dolphins. Nambian authorities should set up a seal blubber plant and feed the nation.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
So, I guess the seal population is in really hard shape, huh? Actually, no, the seal population is put under no strain from these quotas. It's easy to sit in your nice cozy home safely in the west, safely away from true reality and the need to literally but food on your families table. Taking a job as Fry Cook as Micky D's isn't an option for these people.

You know what sickens me? When people care more for the bloody seals than human fricken bings just trying to support themselves and their families financially.

The world-wide seal hunt isn't fun, and it's hard to watch. But neither is what goes on inside an abbotior or slaughterhouse, or any stockyard the world over.

How about you pay attention to whats going on in your own backyard before demonizing people on the other side of the world for trying to make ends meet.
edit on 29-6-2012 by Monger because: Typos

edit on 29-6-2012 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
There's this huge illusion that the meat goes to waste from a seal carcass. Couldn't be farther from the truth. I have several uncles and cousins in the sealing industry, and even the ones I don't like well send every one of their family members as much seal meat as they can. I don't personally enjoy the taste of seal meat, but I do have several seal carcasses in my freezer, sometimes I have company over and I like to cook it for them.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

I didn't realise you were a Namibian

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew
reply to post by Monger

I didn't realise you were a Namibian

I'm a Newfoundlander. We get flak in the international press every year, too, for our seal hunt. High minded Europeans, mostly. Not to mention Sea Sheppard's buffoonery.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
clubbing a baby (or adult) seal to death with a hooked stick requires, in my opinion, a lack of basic (and essential) human emotional sensitivity. i don't care how you try to justify it, it stinks. eat something else. wear something else. you have choices the seals do not. they are where they are because they are what they are, and can't move and adapt like we do. they are no threat to humans in any way shape or form. unless it's 'they eat too many fish'. - really? they live in the sea. hence the fish. again, we have choices they don't.

unjustifiable.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
A baby Seal walks into a bar and orders a Canadian Club. Ba- Da- Boom...

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
So, I guess the seal population is in really hard shape, huh? Actually, no, the seal population is put under no strain from these quotas.

Which seal species are you referring too? The Caribbean Monk Seal? Oh wait, that species went extinct in 2008 from over harvesting. Finland's Saimaa freshwater seal(freshwater seals are rare to begin with) is in danger of extinction in the next few years.So is the Canadian ringed seal, the Baltic Ringed seal because of dissappearing ice, and then the Hawaiian Monk Seal. Canada hasn't stopped their hunting either, though the species is about to be put on the endangered list.

The Cape fur seals in question are extinct in 98% of their habitat.The quota should not be over 30% of the population, but this new contract exceeds the pup population altogether, essentially dooming the species to extinction. That is wholesale slaughter of the worst kind.

It's easy to sit in your nice cozy home safely in the west, safely away from true reality and the need to literally but food on your families table. Taking a job as Fry Cook as Micky D's isn't an option for these people.

If you got off your high horse and read the article, it is contracted to one businessman from Turkey. this does not benefit any of the "poor people". In fact, these seals are a tourism industry, and will doom the locals that make any money off the tourism for a quick buck.

You know what sickens me? When people care more for the bloody seals than human fricken bings just trying to support themselves and their families financially.

I have no pity for people who stick to an outdated standard of living to make money, by brutally and inhumanely kill animals to extinction for profit.

So in the next ten years when all the seals are killed and there is nothing left to eat, then what are they going to do?
I have no problem with a family killing an animal for meat to feed their family for a few months, I do have a problem with 6,000 bulls being slaughtered because people think their balls are an aphrodesiac and it makes money.

And when you make a species go extinct it wreaks havok on the entire ecosystem for the rest of us.

The world-wide seal hunt isn't fun, and it's hard to watch. But neither is what goes on inside an abbotior or slaughterhouse, or any stockyard the world over.

You are right about slaughter the world over, but the difference is that instead of hunting cows and pigs to extinction, they were domesticated, bred, and put on ranches as a ready food source.

In the States, companies are now forcing large corporate animal farms to adopt more humane practises.

How about you pay attention to whats going on in your own backyard before demonizing people on the other side of the world for trying to make ends meet

Talk about short sightedness. Because the ecosystem is everyone's concern. Why should everyone look away as hundreds of species go extinct because of corrupt government's wanting a quick buck to fund their battles?

Why should the small families have to suffer without food because this government sold an entire species to a large businessman? Why should the tourism sector suffer because the seals that draw tourists have been removed?
Not to mention the horrific effects that it would have on the other industries in the area brought on by bringing an animal to extinction.
By bringing this problem to the world eye, a conservation group is now raising money to buy the seals from the government so they can keep them. Everyone wins.
By bringing this problem to the world eye, methods and conservation ideas can be brought up that can keep the industry and keep the species.

and yes, we deal with these problems here. I live along the Chesapeake Bay and there are always fights between conservation and the watermen who want to hunt the Blue Crab or the Rockfish to extinction, and in already failing Bay. The Rockfish were almost gone, which allowed an invasive species of mussel to flourish and destroy the Bay. Oh the poor Waterman who wanted to protect their way of life and "feed" their families, who would have nothing to fish if it wasn't for tight government restriction, and conservation efforts. So fish farms were developed, released into the Bay, along with restrictions, and the population was returned and fishing was resumed a few years ago. This kind of information needs to be shared.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join