It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your car could be stolen and driven away by mobile phone!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I used the search and although the vid (below) is mentioned in threads there does not seem to be a thread dealing with this specific subject.

Modern cars can be hacked.

Methods of attack.
Short range: BlueTooth - WiFi - Wired.
Long range: FM Radio - Celular phone - Networked radio stations

Long range means GLOBAL. A baddy sitting on the other side of the world could hack your car!!

Researchers have been able to hack into cars and...
Turn OFF the brakes!!!
Apply the brakes!!
Turn the lights on or off.
Get complete control of the dash instrumentation.
Activate built in microphones and record conversations.
Start the car.
Remotely drive the car.
etc etc.

Some clips from the vid below.

So, some young kid, on the other side of the world, can take control of your car. He can listen to the conversation your having with your passengers and if he doesnt like what your saying he can dissable your BRAKES and accelerate the car!!!

Imagine what an organised gang could do! I know many trucks already have all this techno built into them, imagine terrorists taking control of a petrol tanker! or a truck carrying a highly toxic substance!

I realy dont think the world is ready for remote controlled vehicles, the way things are at the moment it seems like madness to fit these devices.
When we stop all the wars and all the fighting, then maybe it might have a use.

Skip along to 4:44 if you want to go straight to the car experiment.

Avi Rubin is Professor of Computer Science at Johns Hopkins University and Technical Director of the JHU Information Security Institute. Avi's primary research area is Computer Security,

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It looks like your article could use a little cleanup and formatting.

This is pretty old technology:

books.google.com...=onepage&q=corvette%20 horse&f=false

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It looks like your article could use a little cleanup and formatting.

This is pretty old technology:

books.google.com...=onepage&q=corvette%20 horse&f=false

edit on 29-6-2012 by questforevidence because:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Remotely drive the car.

I see they can remotely influence cars systems, no where do I see they can start and drive a car away by remote.

This is the same as hacking the RF signal that opens your garage door, its just another example of hacking and phreaking.

with many modern cars having keyless entry and remote start this could help car theifs gain access to your car, I could also see the law enforcement apps for this if they can trigger your brakes remotely.

Guess ill be driving my 1970's charger more often lol.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
It's a good thing hand breaks are still void of electronics.

I don't really buy in this story although, I doubt all cars have a bidirectional system that could be controlled remotely. It's like trying to hack a computer that is not connected to internet trough the internet, good luck.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Wow, that is super creepy! Sure does make ya think twice before running out and getting that nice car.

It's news like this that makes me cherish my 1998 Jeep POS. =D

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

This is most certainly the way modern cars are going. As I said in my OP I know trucks now have this same techno installed. The mechanics & engineers back at base can watch how the driver is handling the truck in real time. They can also download the data while the truck is out on the road.

Another angle to think about is this. Imagine trying to get a repair done while the car is still covered by the warenty and they say "Sorry your not covered because on (date here) you accelerated harder than we recommend in the handbook, your warrenty is now viod."

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Remotely drive the car.

I see they can remotely influence cars systems, no where do I see they can start and drive a car away by remote.

This is the same as hacking the RF signal that opens your garage door, its just another example of hacking and phreaking.

with many modern cars having keyless entry and remote start this could help car theifs gain access to your car, I could also see the law enforcement apps for this if they can trigger your brakes remotely.

Guess ill be driving my 1970's charger more often lol.

You cant drive the car remotely because you cannot control the steering but you can control the brakes just by driving next to the car.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Ok, so what about On-Star being able to remotely unlock your vehicle?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
You cant drive the car remotely because you cannot control the steering

Thats not true. Many cars now have electricaly powered steering that is monitored and controlled by a computer so that feedback can be sent to the driver. The electronics CAN turn the steering wheel.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by Infi8nity
You cant drive the car remotely because you cannot control the steering

Thats not true. Many cars now have electricaly powered steering that is monitored and controlled by a computer so that feedback can be sent to the driver. The electronics CAN turn the steering wheel.

Not many car, VERY FEW cars have it, remote start is possible for most recent cars but brakes and steering is ONLY possible in auto-parking cars. only few cars have that auto parking function.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

My father had a quite old Suzuki, cant remember which model, small model aimed at the retired person, anyway it was fitted with electronic assisted steering. I suspect any car that has modern assisted steering will be fitted with an electronic unit as its cheaper to produce and the car is more economical because its not having to power hydraulic pumps that are found on the old power assisted steering.

top topics

join