It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has-God-Particle-finally-been-found-Scientists-prepare-to-announce-new-results

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I wish people would stop calling it the God Particle. In fact the guy who coined that term wanted to call it "The God Damned Particle" but his publisher wouldn't let him. The media latched onto "God Particle" to get everyone's attention and to make scientists out to be the bad guy as if they were trying to play god. The media has once again manipulated everyone.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
My personal opinion, it will prove nothing! There is and always will be a paradox beyond and I think it would make for quite an empty feeling that there is nothing and we have figured it all out, how arrogant of man.

"Laws" pfttt

And I'm not alone.

"The Big Bang could've occurred as a result of just the laws of physics being there," said astrophysicist Alex Filippenko of the University of California, Berkeley. "With the laws of physics, you can get universes."

"The question, then, is, 'Why are there laws of physics?'" he said. "And you could say, 'Well, that required a divine creator, who created these laws of physics and the spark that led from the laws of physics to these universes, maybe more than one.'"

But that answer just continues to kick the can down the road, because you still need to explain where the divine creator came from. The process leads to a never-ending chain that always leaves you short of the ultimate answer, Filippenko said.

The origin of the laws of physics remains a mystery for now, he added, one that we may never be able to solve.

"The 'divine spark' was whatever produced the laws of physics," Filippenko said. "And I don't know what produced that divine spark. So let's just leave it at the laws of physics."

source
edit on 29-6-2012 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-6-2012 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

It actually was a good source, I just cannot recall who it was, but it was a description used on the CERN website, or some place like that. Or maybe it was in the science section of New York Tiimes--a syndicated writer, perhaps---but, I found it 'legit', it was when they first announced they might have found a "light" that was faster than our limited light--- which was 'detected' as "the sound heard before the trigger was pulled' and it was thought perhaps they had found the God Particle --- I thought that was a great description, one that we can all understand, but certainly is Mysterious. I love a Good Mystery too! I just call the Mystery "God" and you may call it otherwise---

Some people have a lot a fear of the word God, but really, you just have to expand your awareness and understanding of the word, you have to get out of limited closed minded views---it's not scary, really---and you won't have to think of exploring the interesting and intuitive ideas as so dangerous and frightening that you need to close the door on them

edit on 29-6-2012 by Sweetmystery because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Seeking a bit of magic in your reality?

The Higgs Boson doesn't do much to resolve issues of particle-wave duality and the enigmas encountered by the "double slit experiment" and its various counterparts.

One can't really begin to consciously process quantum mechanics until coming to terms with the raw philosophical conundrum being observed.

There will always be mystery, but a mystery is a mystery until it isn't..then we move on. Good stance btw, don't accept the hypothetical until there is evidence...but from what I am reading of the last few years, it seems like it is heavily leaning towards the HB. Time for new questions then.

I'm naturally suspicious of consensus without contention. The experimental evidence of the Higgs is sketchy, at best - yet there appears to be a rather large consensus that has developed over the years. Humans have a strange ability to see what they want to see and overlook unexpected or conflicting indicators (which applies equally to myself and my own viewpoints).

Until the research is published, however - any questions we could ask are hypothetical and likely rather irrelevant to the actual discovery. I'll hold my questions until reviewing the results.

I'll be very interested, if they have found something similar to the Higgs - what the implications are for gravitational propagation, time dilation in regards to quantum mechanical effects, and implications as they apply to Special Relativity (specifically a universal reference frame; which is, ironically enough, necessary to properly define behavior of multiple bodies - I know, I just became a heretic - but issues like the twin paradox cannot be resolved without arbitrarily coupling physical space to a frame of reference to be treated as the preferred - which is no different than establishing a universal frame of reference).

Either way - I'm prepared to ask some tough questions.

Somewhat paradoxically (and possibly hypocritically) - I just don't like it when we find what it is we expect to find. I suppose I find it more intellectually stimulating to be confronted with the unexpected than to be hit with confirmation of what I was already fairly certain of.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I don't think the higgs boson has been found. I don't know if it will be found, but it seems like they are playing it up for some reason. Why such emphasis on something that is so far over most people's heads. I mean I understand scientific publishings talking about it, but why do Yahoo and other news stations care so much. They report on only if it's found or not never explaining what it is. Are they going to try to use it as some type of scientific evidence to fly in the face religion with the "god" particle?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

So its arrogant to try and understand the universe? Maybe we should stop asking questions and be content with ignorance? I'd argue it's arrogant to expect a stop to our quest for knowledge simply because you're uncomfortable with existential questions.

Regarding the OP, I think I'll be happy waiting for now, we've had a few false rumours if this already so I'm not holding my breath just yet.
edit on 29-6-2012 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth

So its arrogant to try and understand the universe? Maybe we should stop asking questions and be content with ignorance? I'd argue it's arrogant to expect a stop to our quest for knowledge simply because you're uncomfortable with existential questions.

Regarding the OP, I think I'll be happy waiting for now, we've had a few false rumours if this already so I'm not holding my breath just yet.

No, not to ask questions, arrogant to think we CAN know everything and have figured out every last detail of 'the secrets of the universe'. My opinion, none of this would disprove a God but I feel a good amount of people are trying to do just that and, for me, that would leave a void. To each their own.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
here a good video i watch today talks about the god particle
its 15min long and their a second part 2

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I would love to know every last detail of how the universe works. I have my doubts that we can ever know everything. And I have no desire to disprove God.

As far as I can tell God is pretty safe. Nobody can explain how the Laws of Physics came to be. They just seem to exist.

I would like to add that given the fact I can't keep up with and understand current science I doubt I could understand "everything" even if it was presented to me.

edit on 29-6-2012 by dxdydz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dxdydz

I find great interest in the mysteries too. I just see how science has made atheist of so many people, and that is their choice, I'm not knocking anyone's beliefs or trying to preach mine. Just stating an opinion.

Ever since hearing of the Big Bang, I always just saw the paradox of, what banged, where was it, who or what made where it was, and who or what made it happen?

Those are questions that will never be answered any time soon .

When I was a kid I used to entertain the idea that everything that we know that is the universe might just be an atom of something much bigger. Kind of like the marble universe in the movie Men In Black, though that was many years before the movie came out. Then the question would arise, if it is all part of some enormous object, what made that and where is it?

Ad infinitum.........

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dxdydz

It is impossible to disprove God.
It can never, and will never happen.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I hope you didn't think I implied you could disprove God. That wasn't the point of my post.
That's a whole other discussion in itself of which I would like to stay out of!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker

Originally posted by john_bmth

No, not to ask questions, arrogant to think we CAN know everything and have figured out every last detail of 'the secrets of the universe'. My opinion, none of this would disprove a God but I feel a good amount of people are trying to do just that and, for me, that would leave a void. To each their own.

Who ever said that we will be able to answer all the questions of the universe? I know of no credible scientist who would suggest such a thing. As for God, it's not for disbelievers to disprove, it's for believers to prove but that's another (off)topic entirely.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by xKatox
here a good video i watch today talks about the god particle
its 15min long and their a second part 2

www.youtube.com...

Thanks but here is a post from the youtube page and at this point I agree....

4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th ...dimensions....sometimes i swear they are making it up so they can baffle people with bull# and you can be none the wiser , but sit there with jaw hanging in amazement at their computer generated images made by a programer (man)who has no idea what this 4th dimension even is(like they admit) FieldsofGreen09 5 hours ago

Maybe I'm just not smart enough.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Why-must-you-hyphenate-the-headline? Just-asking---

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
It's great that some people are commenting when they clearly have no understanding of the subject. The whole point of science is to learn, even if the subject is difficult to grasp.

But, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE share whatever it is you're smoking with the rest of us!
At least we'll all be on the same level! lol

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

i really don't believe in other dimension but i just like how they talk about the god particle thats what i was focusing on

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by xKatox

Yeah the dimension thing is a little far fetched......but who knows.

Thanks for sharing the link it was interesting. I'm one of the people learning you see I don't know everything like some people on ATS.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

I suspect FlyingFox's space bar is broken, otherwise they would be adding commentary to the thread along with the post. Just in case anyone else was wondering...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Can any practical applications be created from the discovery of the Higgs Boson or is this just mostly exclusive to the science world, with no real benefits to your average joe just yet?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join