It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has-God-Particle-finally-been-found-Scientists-prepare-to-announce-new-results

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

The hunt for the God Particle could be close to completion as scientists prepare to reveal the latest results from the Large Hadron Collider ahead of a major conference next week.

Scientists from Cern will announce on Wednesday whether the tantalising "hints" of the Higgs Boson which they presented in December have been strengthened or grown weaker over the past six months.
Although the results may not be strong enough to declare an official discovery, they are rumoured to show very similar signals to those announced last year which back up the previous findings.
Independent experts said a replication of the same results would leave little doubt that the "hints" were genuine, indicating that the sought after particle, or something resembling it, exists.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

edit on 29/6/12 by masqua because: added ex tags for external content

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
seriously? Omg what the hell human up to? Being god? You sick..

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
They have done this before.

It seams like a big announcement everyone gets excited, and they just say something along the lines of

"we are going to be researching for an extra 4 months"

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Okay enlighten me please.

I've heard of this "God Particle" but what is it and what does it mean if it exists?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't know much about this subject.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

The God Particle's actual name is the Higgs boson. It was theorized to explain how the spontaneous breaking of electroweak symmetry occurs in nature. It is through this mechanism that other particles obtain mass. So finding the Higgs boson would explain why other particles have mass.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingFox

I posted on this already.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Things will be heating up if they actually confirm the existence of higgs boson.
It was a rumor before but now we shall see if the rumors are true.
edit on 29-6-2012 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout

I've heard of this "God Particle" but what is it and what does it mean if it exists?

The Higgs field is a quantum field with a non-zero value that fills all of space, and explains why fundamental particles such as quarks and electrons have mass. The Higgs boson is an excitation of the Higgs field above its ground state.

The existence of the Higgs boson is predicted by the Standard Model to explain how spontaneous breaking of electroweak symmetry (the Higgs mechanism) takes place in nature, which in turn explains why other elementary particles have mass

Wiki.

Although its a bit above my paygrade..it ultimately is a unifier particle that confirms the current understanding of our physical understanding of the universe..also it kills the need for a deity..no magic..or, if there is magic, this is how magic is done.

Lederman said he gave it the nickname "The God Particle" because the particle is "so central to the state of physics today, so crucial to our understanding of the structure of matter, yet so elusive," but jokingly added that a second reason was because "the publisher wouldn't let us call it the Goddamn Particle, though that might be a more appropriate title, given its villainous nature and the expense it is causing."

Waiting for someone with the big boy pants to explain it a bit better to us monkeys.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Announcements of announcements.....

Don't you just love em?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

The Higgs Boson is a particle that is, at least in theory, supposed to be the propagator of every subatomic particle. The most fundamental building block. If quarks and gluons are Lego blocks of different shapes and sizes - the Higgs Boson is the 'peg' that makes Legos snapping together possible.

Personally - I don't believe it exists or will be found.

That said - I can't turn away experimental data with mere belief and intuition. If the experiments indicate that they have found the Higgs Boson (or something like it) then that's what we have to work with.

That said - I sincerely hope we do not find the Higgs Boson - but are, instead, presented with another mystery.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I doubt that any of them realize that reality is consensual and we create it as we go...if they have been channeling their hopes and ambitions into finding the Higgs then they will probably find it even if they have to unconsciously create it. I doubt any of them bother to follow parapsychology journals and so they don't even consider the creative power of their own unconscious collective psi.

God particle indeed.

edit on 29-6-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
This Link is a good laymans understanding of what is being discussed about the subject.

My question is simple...once we have a full understanding..can we make sweet holographic chambers???!!!
If general quantum physics understanding gave us digital television, what can this discovery give us?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

lol, how.... cheesy.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
I doubt that any of them realize that reality is consensual and we create it as we go...if they have been channeling their hopes and ambitions into finding the Higgs then they will probably find it even if they have to unconsciously create it. I doubt any of them bother to follow parapsychology journals and so they don't even consider the creative power of their own unconscious collective psi.

God particle indeed.

I doubt any of them channel spirits either to get advice.
Tell me...what has your angle of doing nothing because everything exists as consensual reality ever accomplished?
People worldwide agreed fully, from scientist to fool, that the world was once flat. some fringe groups thought otherwise...and proved the consensual mass wrong.
That in itself completely and irreparably destroys your perspective. aka, you are wrong and I just shown you why. So, its time to give credit to scientists ignoring the idiots like you and I and instead actually seeking out answers outside of foolish child thoughts...ya?

or are you going to remain egotistical and demand you personally have allllll the answers and the rest of the world are a bunch of fools?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Thank you to those who attempted to explain this to me.

It's like explaining the internal combustion engine to an ape.

Okay so let me rephrase my question.....why should I care and how is this going to impact the average person or will it?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I read this explanation somewhere:

To oversimplify grossly: If the Gran Sasso scientists had a plate to record the arrival of the neutrinos and a super-powerful telescope to peer (through the Alps!) directly into the lab in Geneva from which they were being fired, the Gran Sasso guys would have “heard” the neutrinos clanging against the plate before they observed the Geneva guys squeeze the trigger on the neutrino gun."

So, this is how it seems to me: The God Particle is "something that exists before time"---Or "outside of limited light" ---Or maybe to say the God Particle is the Unseen Light that is faster than our tangible 'world of light-matter'.

Kind of like they heard the bullet hit the target sixty nanoseconds before they pulled the trigger.

If this gets proven then it is evidence that there is "something "before" time-space-matter tangible matter. Something "outside of time-matter" would be called Godhead, the Ineffable All 'behind' all things.

I personally do not need proof of "Something" (God), I have my own Heart's Knowing Proof of God and Its Infinite All Inclusive Love that works fine for me--- However, just from my own personal take on all this; I see the God Particle as The Absolute Awareness that is aware of 'all things' and This Awareness or Mind is always 'before' time-space-matter. Our Awareness that is aware right now, this Awareness that is reading this, It exists 'before' the things 'appear'--- It is Divine Mind, Consciousness and It stands behind the 'tangible appearances'. Consciousness 'belongs to God the Infinite All' (not the limited 'god' of the bible or church or religions)---

This could be a wonderful and much needed brake-away from the "fundamentalists type religions' ---into freedom from fear and freedom from dogmatic, doctrines and beliefs.

This could be a major step toward finding the Truth that everything we see and know is happening after the Fact.

Kind of like discovering there is an absolute and real principle behind the arithmetic. But instead, it is a Divine Principle behind all 'tangible existence'.

edit on 29-6-2012 by Sweetmystery because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
That said - I sincerely hope we do not find the Higgs Boson - but are, instead, presented with another mystery.

Seeking a bit of magic in your reality?
There will always be mystery, but a mystery is a mystery until it isn't..then we move on. Good stance btw, don't accept the hypothetical until there is evidence...but from what I am reading of the last few years, it seems like it is heavily leaning towards the HB. Time for new questions then.

But for more practical concerns...I am wondering what this will bring forth in regards to innovation. perhaps new dematerialize weapons...or materialize technology? still trying to grasp this concept.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sweetmystery

Its very dangerous to take poorly understood concepts and hypotheticals of science and demand religious significance...cults are born from such practices.

and no, that is not even remotely what the HB stuff is. your talking about extralinear experimentation (doing experiment X has impact both before and after the event...so you can measure changes before the experiment is triggered, which may suggest that linear time is either an illusion (in the same way 20 minutes into a dvd is an illusion when you can rewind, ff, pause, etc) or at least flexible...but that also is outside of my current understanding, so I know I am simply slaughtering the concept.

Don't find your information from "somewhere". look for good sources of people whom studied their lives for this and read what they say, or the summery based on their work...ignore fools in robes demanding every experiment is of religious significance.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
Thank you to those who attempted to explain this to me.

It's like explaining the internal combustion engine to an ape.

Okay so let me rephrase my question.....why should I care and how is this going to impact the average person or will it?

Hard to say.
Most discoveries have had big impacts on the world in time. physics lead to many machines of war, airplanes, etc...quantum physics gave us the internet, television, etc..this no doubt will have a revolution of research/development either way in time. perhaps not tomorrow, but smart people will learn how to use this understanding for material gain.

Consider the very base concept...we are learning how matter basically pops into being..from energy to matter...
off the top of my chimp brain, I am thinking of things like the star trek food replicators, perhaps hole digging machines that can disrupt or alter the higgs field to make perfect holes in moments by holding some sort of gun thing..etc.
but this is just my rather wild imagination more than scientific understanding..

Still..would be awesome to figure out how to control and alter matter on the fly.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I guess this is a 'yay for science' thread so lets all pretend that the subject/object dichotomy is fundamentally real and that the minds of the scientists are somehow separated from their experiments by a magic glass wall, and in so doing we pretend that their desires, fears, ambitions, beliefs etc have no unconscious psychic impact on the results.

Yay for science...just another controlling narrative

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
reply to post by SaturnFX

I guess this is a 'yay for science' thread so lets all pretend that the subject/object dichotomy is fundamentally real and that the minds of the scientists are somehow separated from their experiments by a magic glass wall, and in so doing we pretend that their desires, fears, ambitions, beliefs etc have no unconscious psychic impact on the results.

Yay for science...just another controlling narrative

Thats the spirit!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join