It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Americans prodominantly against Obamacare?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
reply to post by jutes

You have no idea what you're talking about. Just because it's not free, it sucks?

American hospitals will give top of the line care to anybody, it is against every rule to turn someone down because they can not pay. You literally can not do it.

As another poster said, insurance isn't very expensive. I work at Walgreens, as an underling, and pay for my own every month. It's not the easiest, but I manage.

You people who are talking about how terrible it is over here have absolutely no clue. Either that or you're just disingenuous liars. Simple as that.

The other, main, reason we don't want this is because it lets the government tax you for not owning something. This is a completely new precedent for us and we don't generally like that.

Say, I own a chevy but the government owns the Ford Motors Company. The Government can now, in theory, tax me because I don't own a Ford. They can effectively fine me for not having what they like. This is a picture of the death of freedom. Enjoy it and shut up.

Americans don't want this bill for many reasons. Nobody is being denied healthcare in the absence of this bill. This will do nothing but make care more difficult to get for many people, and make prices rise.
There are thousands of pages of pork in this bill. Quite literally. It's complete B.S. and people know it.

edit on 29-6-2012 by Mr Headshot because: (no reason given)

So not only the largest tax increase in history, but also the most regressive tax in US history. This is a good thing in your eyes? I'm sorry that health care is hard for you, but its not the Govts choice to step in and force people to either pay a penalty or get health insurance... Where in the constitution does it say that the Govt. can force you to pay for something you dont want to pay for?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Uh....did you read what I wrote?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
Why would any civilized person complain about making primary healthcare available to all instead of just those that have the cash to pay for it?

How can a population of a developed nation like the USA complain about paying extra taxes for this when their current government invests more money in war than all other nations combines accross the globe?

Just saying.

Why overdo something you already have?

Why does no one get the fact that WE ALREADY HAD free healthcare. I dont see how this is supposed to make it any better by double taxing someone for something you're already taxing them for. It's called general Hospitals.

Doh!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
If I may chime in. . . .

The ACA (Affordible Care Act) or Obamacare is an attempt to take the responsibility of the individual and place it in the hands of the government.

Healthcare is not a right.

It is a personal responsibility left to the individual.

How much salt, bacon, scotch, nicotine, soda, Big Macs. . . I put in my body is up to me.

Not the government.

Yet the government has taken the onus upon themselves to determine our own measure of healthcare.

Individuality is hardwired into the american soul. Yet this "Law" takes away our individual right to self-determination.
edit on 29-6-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
reply to post by jhn7537

Uh....did you read what I wrote?

I accidently responded to the wrong person... my bad

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Is there any and I mean any chance that this gets repealed??

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Its nice to know this is how the supreme court justified this ruling

The five-justice majority argued that, while the fine imposed by the law for not buying health insurance would otherwise be unconstitutional, the fine is actually legal under Congress' authority to tax.

Ergo, the fine is officially a "tax" in the eyes of the court. The law stands.

But in a case of biting the hand that feeds, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Friday the fine is still just a "penalty."

Calling it a "tax" causes obvious political problems for the White House. Obama fought that label vigorously when selling the bill in 2009.

edit on 29-6-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
Is there any and I mean any chance that this gets repealed??

Only if the families of the congressmen were threatened with the same laws they are trying to tag us with...

Other then that?...

You really "don't" wont to know what it would take to change this decision based upon greed and self serving motivations...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

What QI meant is, yes, there is.

link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Lol no worries, I was just confounded.

link   

Originally posted by beezzer
If I may chime in. . . .

The ACA (Affordible Care Act) or Obamacare is an attempt to take the responsibility of the individual and place it in the hands of the government.

How much salt, bacon, scotch, nicotine, soda, Big Macs. . . I put in my body is up to me.

Not the government.

Yet the government has taken the onus upon themselves to determine our own measure of healthcare.

Individuality is hardwired into the american soul. Yet this "Law" takes away our individual right to self-determination.

That is where you are so wrong, healthcare is a right, just as the ability to breathe air is. Why would healthcare not be a right? Why would you not want to practice life preservation wherever possible? Is life that cheap to you that it has a pricetag?

To be honest I am flabberghasted by that comment, I never really knew that capitalism could make people regard life so cheaply.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983lHow can a population of a developed nation like the USA complain about paying extra taxesobe?

Because the awake amoung us know that we will be paying taxes for a service we will never recieve.

Obamacare will give out a pill or two if you pay 1000%more in taxes that you cost but when it drops below 300% they cut their losses like racehorse owners the government bea counter will put you down by witholding healcare rather than support your retirement via social security at the drop of a pen. They don't know you why should they care? All you are is a taxpaying widget. to the government.

edit on 30-6-2012 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Fact Sheet: The Truth About Obamacare

Here's some good bathroom reading. Enjoy!

Obamacare Fact Sheet
edit on 29-6-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

That is where you are so wrong, healthcare is a right, just as the ability to breathe air is. Why would healthcare not be a right? Why would you not want to practice life preservation wherever possible? Is life that cheap to you that it has a pricetag?

To be honest I am flabberghasted by that comment, I never really knew that capitalism could make people regard life so cheaply.

Healthcare is not up to the government to grant or allow.

It is up to the individual.

Your argument would have the government determining what we can eat, drink, put in our bodies.

Your argument precludes the fact that our bodies are not ours, but instead, are property of the state.

Your "fail" reeks epically.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

If I may chime in. . . .

Not the government.

My hard earned money is already being taxed going to numerous social programs I dont agree with, so why not just keep adding to this list for god sakes... Even better, lets abolish welfare and unemployment and put that extra money towards health care...

So now I need to shelter, feed, clothe, give healthcare to all these people who cant provide for themselves here?? Im sorry, but I dont need the Govt. to tell me that I need to give money to people I dont know... Call me a d*ck, Im ok with that... I donate money each year to causes I believe in... Unfortunately, when the Govt. tells me that I need to give my hard earned money to those who cant provide for themselves it leaves me feeling cheated

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Healthcare is not up to the government to grant or allow.

It is up to the individual.

Your argument would have the government determining what we can eat, drink, put in our bodies.

Your argument precludes the fact that our bodies are not ours, but instead, are property of the state.

Your "fail" reeks epically.

My argument is nothing to do with the Government telling you what you can or cannot do. A national insurance type tax for healthcare is not uncommon, in fact it is common in developed countries. Having healthcare available to ALL is something to be proud of, not something to moan about.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Obama promised he wouldn't raise taxes to cover this and said it wasn't a tax.

They argued it in Congress that it wasn't a tax.

Now SCOTUS has ruled that it is unconstitutional except as a tax. There should be a call for Congress and the President to repeal the bill since they promised it wasn't a tax.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

My argument is nothing to do with the Government telling you what you can or cannot do. A national insurance type tax for healthcare is not uncommon, in fact it is common in developed countries. Having healthcare available to ALL is something to be proud of, not something to moan about.

But the government IS telling us what we can and cannot do!

People parrot the "developed country" meme like it's an end-all to an argument.

Developed countries also don't have the freedoms that we enjoy.

I see what YOU want to give up for government sponsored bandaids.

I'm not willing to sacrafice my freedom on the altar of government ordered healthcare.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Theres some things to rightly complain about in your governments taxation, but keeping somebody alive just isn't one of them. I cannot believe how selfish some people can be when they are worried that some of their tax dollars might go towards keeping somebody alive and that they see no direct benefit from that. Reality check.... if you saw somebody knocked down in the street by a car, would you not help them just because thhey are poor?

I'm sorry but if this is how most American people think then God Bless the Fact I do not live in the USA.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Housing and food and everything else should be free too right? I mean, it already is free if you can make it for yourself. Otherwise you must pay people to provide you the service of housing and feeding. Your argument is a complete fallacy.

What the person you're arguing with is saying is true, in a sense. Healthcare is a right, in so much as you can get it if you want. The thing is, if you want real healthcare, you usually need to pay someone to provide it because the majority of people can't build MRI machines in their garage. Healthcare is a service, you have every right to seek it out.

The reason breathing doesn't cost money is that nobody has to labor, except yourself, to make your lungs expand and contract.

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join