It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number one survival skill - Gardening

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Learning how to do the gardening stuff now is important.
Saving seeds, starting from seed, seedlings etc.
Co-planting and using food scraps as a way to feed the soil etc.
All mega useful and learning to do it before you have to is important.

This could be an entire essay.

Gardening Post SHTF:

If you're buggin in in the burbs or city area, good luck. Because a whole lot of people seeing your garden and stash and there's only so many bullets that are going to protect you before you run out and it's a matter of time.
If you're buggin in the country, better. You have more options to protect your land and food. Traps and hidey holes.
If you're buggin out, I'm assuming that you're not going to bother with getting a garden up until after the smoke cleared and things have settled down. Because until you know that a place is safe enough to bug out in, there's not point in setting up camp.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Warning....rant incoming

it is hard to garden when it won't freaking rain.
Georgia - what has happened to us?
Every YEAR there's no rain at all in June...in the last few years we've seen no rain all summer.
You water water water water - but after 4 weeks and temps in the 90s and 100's, NOTHING is going to do well. A LOT is going to die.

I garden - a lot.
But then too you can't garden if you can't keep a place to live either.

Why is everything so freaking hard lately and it won't even rain?
And then the rich little ladies in the snow white pants show up with their green little shirts and cute little shoes "Nice weather we're having isn't it? Just wish it wasn't so hot."
Yeah, I can tell you never needed rain, never even had a sense of how important it was.

Dustbowl. That's what this is trying to become. A big ol dustbowl.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Wow great garden like my grand parent had many yrs ago
wish i could have such field to make beautiful garden like yours
in a SHTF scenario it is very important to have seeds and a place to cultivate your stuff

i live on the 3 floor and its way to hot outside to grow a little garden in pots
the sun would burn my plants
i have many pots .. i had a small garden before but didnt work .. no fruit

will need to try again ..any advices ?

People who live in a small house on a big field will have more chance to survive and adapt

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Don't forget Hunting & Gathering. This is a skill which is a must if you want to survive. More skills that you should learn are game tracking, wild food preparing, fire making, shelter building, primitive weapons to hunt if you have no guns available like me. And ofcourse you should also know which plants are edible and which are not.
edit on 29-6-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Here is some advice for you that might work or might not work.

I live in an apt building and even though I don't have the yard that 12make has...i still grow herbs like lemon balm,basil,mint and some sunflowers.
There is also bamboo and a mulberry tree.
I run the building as well so I get to create a small garden on the side of the building...talk to your building guy and ask him if you can do the gardening....you will have to work for it but you will get something out of it.
Plant what you think you might like and need.
Obviously I can't be growing taters and what 12make can but any little bit helps....especially if nobody knows whats growing there.

Another guy in the same building grows hot peppers,basil.chives and tomato plants from his window sill...the tomatoes were harder for him but where there is a will there is a way.

Create shade,water it and baby it.
If you have alot of sun...figure out what needs alot of sun and try growing that.
Pay attention to how many hours you get sun and give it a try.

edit on 29-6-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

No doubt there are other important skills to have. I just pointed to this one as MOST important, because you could do without meat if you had to. (though I'd rather have it).

I realize it's hard to garden in the city, but still some things you can do indoors. Also, chances are, you'd probably be trying to leave the cities in many SHTF scenarios...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Actually number one survival skill is intelligence.
So i can learn everything and everything from others without even noticing.
I bet that most of you would be surprised just how many thing you remember out of the blue in a desperate situation and just how inventive you become in a split second after realizing your next steps count for a score/test/survival.

If you have average and up intelligence you've surely picked up things that right now you don't even realize but in a desperate situation you become aware of.

You need intelligence to craft/salvage/repair..gardening comes a bit later.when you run out of caned foods/ salvaged foods.
First thing is find a safe place...needs intelligence.
Secure that spot ..needs int.
Reinforce and camouflage spot need int.
Find survival mates...cause one man show just doesnt cut it when you have to get food latere on and get supplies to repair/improve/build stuff.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I agree with your post. I started gardening a few years ago and I thought it would be easy. Its not. There is a lot of skill involved and a lot to learn...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join