It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's a guy like me to do?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Have you considered medical transcriptionist? It requires only the ability to type. My aunt does this and makes okay money. She does it only part time as she's retired.

Or consider a home health companion. It's not fun, but there are lots of elderly folks who's family will pay for someone to spend the evening and night with an elderly person. And the added bonus is you'd probably have some time to work on your writing.

Best of luck to you...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
reply to post by TechUnique

So you don't work and spend hour after hour on internet forums, complaining about having no job and no money.

May I ask who pays for your food and rent ? Your mommy ? Your girlfriend ? The society ?

If you want to be rude, you can ask. It really isn't any of your business. Perhaps if you were in his shoes you may be a little more understanding.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
What you do is continue having the determination, drive and desire you have now, don't lay down. When you are determined to succeed, the mind figures out how to reach that goal. Keep churning ideas, and opportunities. You are very young, and your generation is likely to come out of this mess (even if 10 yrs down the road), and you can be pioneering into that new economic era with a goal you set.

Also, maybe most important, collaborate with as many peers that you can. I can't stress that enough. As an entrepreneur you'll need to gain as much support for your idea/goal/business model as possible. Learn what the trend of your peers are, what do they desire, and need.

Be prepared to encounter the toughest of times, make it through, be strong. When you come out on the other side, the life education you will have received will be priceless, and rewards high. At 30 yrs old you will view the entire world through new eyes. 20 yrs old to 30 yrs old is night and day for the determined and intelligent individual. Remember collaborate with your peers. If you have no peers, go meet people, talk to everyone, learn everyone. You are an artist, make it happen.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23432

Start an indoor snail farming operation .
Set up a Digital Marketing & Promotion Company .

Requires $
Requires $

Which he does not have. Remember?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Not everything requires money.
The fields that you expanded your education in, look for volunteer work or an internship.
The hardest part of any job is getting your foot in the door.
Good luck.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Thanks for all the comments guys! There has been some really good advice I wish I could respond to you all!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
One thing that people neglect is picking the brain of the person who tells you they are not hiring.
Ask them for leads. "Do your know anybody that is hiring?" It doesn't hurt to ask and you might get a good steer.

Another thing, if you are going out looking for a job to show up in the early AM is much more impressive than coming in at 4 PM.

Can you do any tutoring or any other services that individuals might need? e.g. grass cutting, piano lessons, dog walking/sitting, gutter cleaning, painting. Put together a single sheet flyer and tape it on peoples doors.

One story that comes to my mind is the when the stock market crashed in 1929 people were jumping out of windows and despairing and the next day one elderly businessman put his business suit on and stood on Wall Street selling apples. A positive attitude wins.

Don't give up before you start.

BTW That blog idea was excellent.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie

So you don't work and spend hour after hour on internet forums, complaining about having no job and no money.

May I ask who pays for your food and rent ? Your mommy ? Your girlfriend ? The society ?

Actually I hope you pay for it. You personally. I hope every penny that you pay in tax goes to helping this young man do his drugs and pay for his wide screen 60in TV. I hope every penny goes to keeping his 12 kids in food and clothes. I hope every penny goes to keeping him in his 8 bedroom mansion in central London and making sure he eats steak every night while the rest of us poor taxpayers eat gruel. Sensing the sarcasm yet?

This young man needs help, not the psychiatric help that you clearly need but some help. I apologise to the OP if I'm speaking out of turn but I see the problem. The problem is people like you, the person I am responding to, not the OP. They have no time for their fellow human, they have been brainwashed into thinking that the world exists by the "kill or be killed" mantra. STOP, you see that guy, the one that is your neighbour? He needs a hand and deep down in your soul, your humanity will tell you...what? You figure it out.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

That's it, when he bumps into more and more people like you his goals get supported, and realiized.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

The medical field seems to usually keep opportunity-even something you can get quick training on like a CNA certified nursing assistant-RN registered nurse ect. My worst case was those 2 or to go be a garbage man if there is no work. I have no pride block preventing me from working to make money so I can do theses messy jobs if I must. Just keep looking around & good luck

Blah. I'm sick of this lie.

Nurses compete BIG TIME for jobs. The reason you see so many nursing postings usually has to do with turnover .. which is pretty high in nursing. But then you get these crap jobs like CNA's (which many hospitals and clinics are cutting back) you pay $40-60k to get a CNA or LPN license and make $11/hr. Makes no sense.

Then we have the media hyping up "who will treat the sick" because Obamacare is "spreading coverage" .. it's not, and hospitals nation wide are shedding jobs preparing for Medicaid payment cutbacks and increased operating costs. My wife is a BSRN in a pediatrics emergency room. The hospital she works at (one of the largest in the region) has been on a hiring freeze for the past 4 years. 6 months ago they removed "support staff" from the budget in preparation for increased state expenses.

My advice... don't chose a career path because of job availability (because it's almost always a lie) or for money. Just do what you love... and if no one hires you, find a way to work for yourself doing whatever it is you love to do. Or move.. economies are different all over the country.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join