Basic Stone Work

page: 2
20
<< 1   >>

log in

join

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I thing stone is the most useful thing that isnt man made in a survival situation. Why ? Cause it's hard enough to be used for knives and axes and pickaxes and that hardness also makes it brittle enough that i can split it and split it to result a micron sharp edge. Wood is so last year's survival tech.
If i had to start surviving with absolutely nothing on me, not even in my pockets:
Find sticks/clubs and rocks. Find some vine or rope like branches i can smash and weed into a strong rope.
Find high/secure vantage point and make recon of area so that when i start splitting those rock i'm sure nobody is around to pinpoint my hideout.
Split rocks...into small , mediu and large...Use vine/natural made rope to secure sharp pointy slices of rocks to wood handles and make a knife, a spear, and an proper axe.
After that i can make my way down from the tree and get some more wood and rocks and make myself some small spears to be used at the bottom of a hole in the ground or with some trap.
At least i've got a knife and spear so that takes care of wolfs and zombies.

Use axe to cut medium trees and build a wood fortress :d




posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Choice777
 


Good call mate. I'm a firm believer in past civilizations (coming and going in cycles) and believe that this is what keeps happening. We get so advanced technologically and forget where we came from, then destroy it all (or the creator does it to remind us) and we have to start again. Stone and wood become your only real tools to work with.

In this day and age from what I've been reading, you won't have to worry about the wolves...........It's them damn zombies you gotta watch out for!



posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stonesplitter
reply to post by Choice777
 


Good call mate. I'm a firm believer in past civilizations (coming and going in cycles) and believe that this is what keeps happening. We get so advanced technologically and forget where we came from, then destroy it all (or the creator does it to remind us) and we have to start again. Stone and wood become your only real tools to work with.

In this day and age from what I've been reading, you won't have to worry about the wolves...........It's them damn zombies you gotta watch out for!


Actaully if i thing about it bears are the mot dangeroud animal for a human. Cause it's faster on land, faster in water, and climbs trees. it's almost impossible to escape it if you dont have a ready made hideout.
Only slim change someone has of evading a bear if its required to leave base and so cant take advantage of hideout with proper door/fence, is to always carry a really sharp sturdy spear, maybe dipped in some frog poison..
or always carry a resonable length of rope/handmade rope with a hook so you can instantly hook it up a tree and climb up on it...and out-wait the bear. thats the only unreachable scenario.



posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Choice777
 


Ahhhh.....do you mean one of these brutes:
RRRRRRAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
Sorry mate, couldn't resist........that's about as scary as bears get here!

But yeah, if you're in the U.S.....you're right, although the frog poison (if It's the South American one I'm thinking of) I hear that's a pretty delicate process.



posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stonesplitter
reply to post by Choice777
 


Ahhhh.....do you mean one of these brutes:
RRRRRRAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
Sorry mate, couldn't resist........that's about as scary as bears get here!

But yeah, if you're in the U.S.....you're right, although the frog poison (if It's the South American one I'm thinking of) I hear that's a pretty delicate process.


Oh man..i wouldn't be seen dead near one of these...haven't you seen the movie Screamers from 1995 ?

edit on 2-7-2012 by Choice777 because: spell



posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Choice777
 


Yeah I saw it many years ago but don't really remember it too well, other than these robotic creatures in sand that got more intelligent with each kill........or something? I'll have to watch it again


As for stone blades, you've reminded me that when another lad and myself had some spare time on our hands we ground and shaped a couple of swords from slate..........I'll have to find go find them and get some pics!



Edit: These things were more like the smaller Roman Legion swords, similar size and shape. I'll have a go at making Excalibur some time!
edit on 2/7/12 by Stonesplitter because: more detail



posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Wow...must be quite big..pics are a must.



posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Awesome thread I logged on just to say my thankyous for sharing this valuable knowledge. I have been in the stone industry for many years, but somewhat on the other side, restoringmarble and granites antiques, statues, floors. some carving and lots of polishing, obviously quite different but the feel of working with stone has been captured in your thread.



posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Stonesplitter
 


Where I grew up building a new house meant first backing the old pickup into the riverbed and loading it down with stones and sand. Then you hope the truck can make it up out of the river.


Take materials to site of house, dig foundation, lay foundation. It's amazing to see the variation in viewpoints of country folk and city folk. Cityboy says "omg that's crazy!" Countryboy says, "doesn't your house have a foundation?"



posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by Stonesplitter
 


Where I grew up building a new house meant first backing the old pickup into the riverbed and loading it down with stones and sand. Then you hope the truck can make it up out of the river.


Take materials to site of house, dig foundation, lay foundation. It's amazing to see the variation in viewpoints of country folk and city folk. Cityboy says "omg that's crazy!" Countryboy says, "doesn't your house have a foundation?"


well u left out the form building and additives such as lime and portland cement but yeah, foundations work,

concrete slabs do too, not on my house but....





new topics
top topics
 
20
<< 1   >>

log in

join