It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**2nd Inscription carved into stone staircase Confirms 'End Date' of Mayan Calendar - Dec.21, 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Archaeologists have found carvings in a stone staircase at the La Corona dig site in Guatemala which confirm the ‘end date’ of the Maya calendar, December 21, 2012. It is only the second known inscription which confirms this 'end date'.

Mayan temples in Guatemala: Researchers have found walls adorned with unique paintings - one depicting a line-up of men in black uniforms, and hundreds of scrawled numbers - many calculations relating to the Mayan calendar

The 1,300-year-old inscription is described as one of the most significant hieroglyphic finds in decades. Most of the inscription, carved into a stone abandoned by looters, deals with political history - but there is a reference to 'the end' in a passage about a king's return. This was a time of great political turmoil in the Maya region and this king felt compelled to allude to a larger cycle of time that happens to end in 2012,’

Mayan carvings at La Corona: The 1,300-year-old inscription is described as one of the most significant hieroglyphic finds in decades

Rather than the end of time itself, the inscriptions refer to the start of a new era. The 'apocalypse' refers to the end of a cycle of 5,125 years since the beginning of the Mayan Long Count calendar in 3113 B.C. ‘This text talks about ancient political history rather than prophecy,’ says Marcello A. Canuto, dco-director of the excavations at La Corona. Since 2008, Canuto and Tomás Barrientos of the Universidad del Valle de Guatemala have directed excavations at La Corona, a site previously ravaged by looters

Source: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Well, So much for the ObamaCare ruling... Guess it really doesn't matter as we will need more than that come December..... (Sorry, I couldn't help myself....

Well, I think it is a big leap of faith but you know..... What if. Even if it is 1/2 as bad as predicted, it will be a very interesting time.

I have to wonder though and I have to ask... How can the Mayans say it is the end of the world? What "world". Was there world a total of a few 1000 square miles near where they lived (which I believe was once wiped out when the Gulf of Mexico was made via an asteroid or the alike)

OR did they have some advance knowledge that would allow them to see and know about other civilizations that existed around the globe? And if they did know about others civilizations etc... did they communicate with them to either develop their theory/belief. Did they take steps to warn the other people of the world?

Remember, the world is a pretty big place when you don't have air travel or even motorized vehicles etc.

Anyway, there you go for the believers and information seekers.

Please, tell us/me what you think.... I can't wait.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The world will not end!

Anyone who says this has obviously believed the hype and never even looked into the Mayan calendar and what it says or what it means to them. It really doesn't take much to find out they never once said the world was going to end and they are kind of pissed people think this.

ATS threads on the subject
Wnat The Mayan Elders Are Saying About 2012
Mayan Elders Talk.....

Other sites
Mayan Elder Says World Wont End
End Times Prophecy 12-21-12

There is so much more online with just doing a simple google search on Mayan Elders not saying the world will end. You can even search it right here on ATS and find many subjects on it. I would love to post more but I have to leave for work

I will check this thread when I get home and add more if others haven't already.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I think it is the end of a cycle of mans rule on earth.. I think somebody is going to return from the skies to take back over. I think man has failed miserably at governing..........

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mckeesport

I agree!

Second

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I think I will wait until I can read the comments of actual archaeologists before passing any kind of judgment. However, considering one the archaeologists involved in the find has said this is not a prophecy but has to do with ancient politics I feel it's safe to say that this article is merely the Daily Mail using 2012 hype as a way to increase readership.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
I think I will wait until I can read the comments of actual archaeologists before passing any kind of judgment. However, considering one the archaeologists involved in the find has said this is not a prophecy but has to do with ancient politics I feel it's safe to say that this article is merely the Daily Mail using 2012 hype as a way to increase readership.

reply to post by Xcalibur254

Here's what the archaeologists are saying:

Maya Archaeologists Unearth New 2012 Monument
June 28, 2012
Kathryn Hobgood Ray
Phone: 504-865-5229
tulane.edu...

Archaeologists working at the site of La Corona in Guatemala have discovered a 1,300-year-old-year Maya text that provides only the second known reference to the so-called “end date” of the Maya calendar, December 21, 2012. The discovery, one of the most significant hieroglyphic finds in decades, was announced today at the National Palace in Guatemala.

“This text talks about ancient political history rather than prophecy,” says Marcello A. Canuto, director of Tulane’s Middle American Research Institute and co-director of the excavations at La Corona.

tulane.edu...

edit on 6/29/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: reply to line

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I think people use the term "End of the world" meaning the end or near extinction of mankind. The Earth will continue to exist for billions or trillions of years, mankind will not fare so well. Here is a post that I had up, I got accused of saying the world is going to end and I did not. My Russian wife was on a trip home to Russia 3 years ago and visited a Nun who "sees things" and she asked about Dec21st as I requested and her responses were odd and she told my wife to come home to Russia because the U.S. was not going to do so well... My post about wifes visit to nun

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Firstly, what amazing and detailed stone work

Good ol' daily mail to ever so slightly re-word something to make it sound dramatic and fearfull, not an expert but Im going to take a stab in the dark and say guess that they do this for sales.....?

Even though the Mayans never spoke of an oblivion and rather aserted to a new transition taking place, we will never truely know untill the dates, and even then it would probably be gradual rather than an instant dramatic scene.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I think we often complicate things that are relatively simple. We're told the Mayan's spent an inordinate amount of time observing the cosmos. They understood that everything cycles. The stars, planets, nature, etc. From that vantage point, they probably saw everything as a cycle. So it would be no wonder they would see mans very existence in terms of cycles. Hence, the end of one cycle, and the start of another. For them, it has significance. For us, we likely won't notice a thing.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This is the worst attempt at a thread that i have ever seen on any forum!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by poppycock

What? Please do elaborate?? Make sure you don't start any threads because by the sound of it, you're going to take the cake if you would.

The world is not going to end, when people say things like that, to me it's pretty clear they have only just gotten into the whole 2012 thing, or they're just repeating what other people have told them, and this cycle goes on and on and on because sadly, most people won't look things up for themselves, they'll either ridicule or blatantly copy what they've heard.

2012 is the end of an era, a new beginning, it doesn't even matter what kind of new beginning it is, so I don't understand why some people mock this, if we were to decide our gregorian calendar would reset at 5000, it would also mean something "ends", why on earth people would find that hilarious is beyond me. You don't have to believe in anything, but any person with at least some intelligence can understand that according to the mayans, THIS era will end and a NEW era will begin, whether you believe that will hold change for our species as well is up to you, but there is simply no denying that ACCORDING TO THEM this era ends and a new one begins, basic logic 101.

So next time someone tells you nothing is going to happen in 2012, make it clear to them that an era ends for the mayans and it doesn't matter if you believe something will happen or not, the end of an era is fact, no way around it. People understand a year can end, a month can end, a week can end and a day can end, but when you tell them an era will end (according to some cultures), they laugh in your face, some people are too plain stupid to walk around.

I think change will come, and I think it's already started, I feel it and I see it around me, people who were once walking around with their head in the clouds only caring about themselves are starting to long for more freedom, more joy out of life, less of what we have today, and more of what we used to have as natural human beings. More interaction with other people, bringing meaning to their lives (which obviously is lacking for pretty much the entire western civilization imo),... I think the end of this year will be important in a way many people can't imagine, 21 dec probably won't have anything special (though nobody can tell for sure), but I do believe it's a sort of invisible tipping point, we're heading there now, and when the time comes, enough people will start feeling it to get started.

Of course, nobody knows, and when I say these things I'm merely thinking/dreaming out loud, it's just as well possible 2013 will hold more sh*t for us in store so yeah, it's as foolish to live by these things as it is to discard them, however I keep hoping it hold some truth, because we really really really need change, and if you can't even see that, you're obviously living in a box.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
No the world will not end, the Maya calendar restarts. Just like ours does on January 1st

The last time their calendar reset, it did so on December 3114 BC....and guess what the world before it didn't end nor did 'ours' begin.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Like i said before .. this 21 december will be a transition to a better world
the Age of Enlightment literaly
We should all embrace it and have faith in the Creator
there is no end of the world .. just the end of the world has we know it
the human system is so corrupted today that it has become unsutainable for 99%
of the population
the 1% getting richer and the other 99% getting poorer
the balance on earth is completely unstable its filled with dark energy everywhere

We know that for our futur generation sake .. we need to change
this 21 december will mark the day that every soul
realise the power and the great potential they have within them

for that to happen .. we will all need to wake up
the galactic allignement will open the door the purest form of energy (positive energy)
the same energy that created everything in the universe from the Creator himself

why do i believe that ? because i sense it from deep within me since a long long time

2013 will be mark has yrs 1
where human will live in complete symbiosys with all living thing and earth

having positive energy... it is the key
and you can only get that through the Creator
loving him the same way he loves us

Rather than the end of time itself, the inscriptions refer to the start of a new era. The 'apocalypse' refers to the end of a cycle of 5,125 years since the beginning of the Mayan Long Count calendar in 3113 B.C. ‘This text talks about ancient political history rather than prophecy,’ says Marcello A. Canuto, dco-director of the excavations at La Corona. Since 2008, Canuto and Tomás Barrientos of the Universidad del Valle de Guatemala have directed excavations at La Corona, a site previously ravaged by looters

edit on 6/29/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Nice new age sentiments but December 22nd will be notable only for the number of embarrassed believers, those saying that yes something has changed which only they can feel.... and those laughing

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
From the DailyMail link...

Mayan temples in Guatemala: Researchers have found walls adorned with unique paintings - one depicting a line-up of men in black uniforms, and hundreds of scrawled numbers

Who are these men in black uniforms...?!?...makes me think of of Chan Chan.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
reply to post by Ben81

Nice new age sentiments but December 22nd will be notable only for the number of embarrassed believers, those saying that yes something has changed which only they can feel.... and those laughing

I hope people like you indeed don't feel anything change, so the normal human beings can move on, leaving the ones that hold us back, like you, behind. There really isn't much anyone can do for you if you don't want change

Enjoy spending another cycle in this dimension buddy! We'll send postcards

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by poppycock

I can see you haven't been around long. There are many...many poorly orchestrated threads on ATS. However this is not one of them. "Make every post count" bud...

I wanna thank the op for sharing this news. The Mayan calendar thing is indeed intriguing. I think the Mayans were conspiracy theorists!

From what I gather, the Maya believe that there will be a spiritual shift on that day. Not the world coming to an end. Just like many of us at the new year, take the lessons learned and apply them in the new year... A new beginning...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThisIsNotReality

I hope people like you indeed don't feel anything change, so the normal human beings can move on, leaving the ones that hold us back, like you, behind. There really isn't much anyone can do for you if you don't want change

Enjoy spending another cycle in this dimension buddy! We'll send postcards

Considering we'll both be in the same dimension on Dec 22nd that might be difficult. I've noted your name and will send you message on the 22nd welcoming you back to reality.

Now to your charge of not wanting change, sure I want 'change' but your not going to get it from a calendar date moving from one state to another, change comes from human action. I'd suggest you try changing the world instead of waiting for some pseudo-magical event to do the work for you.....

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by poppycock

now that is poppycock.

But seeing you have only been here two weeks... well enough said.

Now, of course I don't think the world is going to end... People People..

Put the info here, discuss it, debate it and move on.

Now, let me see your thread(s)... I'll wait.

In the mean time, check out some of my other ones..... Maybe you will find something you like. If you do, U2U me and I will focus strictly what you want and like. Peace...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I find it interesting no one has commented on IF the Mayans could tell the future etc... related to THEIR world..

What constitutes their world. What about the peoples living around the globe... did they warn them? Compare notes?

Did they even know the world was round? How? One could go on and on.

Again, a group of people who developed enough to carve a calendar--okay. But what supports they knew 2000 years ago what would happen this year, just by watching stars? What would happen if a star they were keen on is gone for whatever reason... then what?

Happy Fourth of July to all of my American friends!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join