It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Books vs E-Books, Kindle etc

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

this morning while i was drinking my coffee, a news article about ebooks was shown on Head Line News (HLN).

they said that the ebooks track your usage. things like how long you read, what you read, where you read, where you store your ebook reader and sends the information to the publishing company.

i logged on and am trying to find a link to the article but so far i can't find it.

the only thing my regular books would say is i sometimes read in the bathroom. ha ha ha ha

-subfab

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

i found the article.

from the wall street journal. the article says that ebooks track how you read & how long you read.

online.wsj.com...

the article is titled: Your E-Book Is Reading You

Some privacy watchdogs argue that e-book users should be protected from having their digital reading habits recorded. "There's a societal ideal that what you read is nobody else's business," says Cindy Cohn, legal director for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit group that advocates for consumer rights and privacy. "Right now, there's no way for you to tell Amazon, I want to buy your books, but I don't want you to track what I'm reading."

Amazon declined to comment on how it analyzes and uses the Kindle data it gathers.

i thought about starting a thread for this article, but decided it was better to continue this thread with the information.

-subfab

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
i'm bumping this thread because the link about ebooks sending information about you (the reader) to the publisher is big news.

here is the link again:

online.wsj.com...

i'd hate for an article this interesting to get buried and forgotten.

-subfab

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
someone started a thread on this subject.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

good they did.

-subfab

top topics

<< 1   >>

join