It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Christians can (& should) believe in aliens without losing their faith..

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

How do you know if I'm a practicing christian or not? Whatever that means anyways.
I said i don't know that much about scripture, so I don't lead others astray with what I wrote.
I can't quote from the bible or know which book to look in for certain teachings, but who cares.
My post was in defense of God and what I have been taught and chose to believe.

I was answering with my opinion of how I personally feel, not condemning your post.
You are free to believe in both

I think there is a very good possibility of alien life on other planets. There is no crime in wondering.
What I don't like is people who claim to be in communication with them and claiming to have been told things about God or Jesus with the attempts to establish a new spirituality.
The aliens can come here but they can leave their preaching behind.
I'm not suggesting you have done that.i haven't read all your posts on this site to know. However the internet is full of people who do just that or poor souls who have been swayed in that direction.

When I said God would cease to exist I meant his power would. I wrote that wrong, so I am amending that part here in this post.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Thanks for clarifying some points for me. If I overreacted I apologise, it is one of my failings (and they are many).

Don't believe that I am trying to adjust the scriptural principles of the Christian faith - I'm a devout Christian, recently recovered from being a lapsed Christian. I just like to explore the scripture for concepts that are under-examined by us in the faith..

Another example of under-examined scripture is the way that Jesus asked his disciples if they had any swords. They replied that they had two, between twelve of them. Jesus said that was adequate.

When He was taken to be crucified, He stopped Peter from using the sword in his possession. So why did He ask them if they had swords in the first place? My tentative thought is that He was dropping a hint - that Christians are generally required to 'turn the other cheek' - particularly if they are being persecuted for the gospel. However, I believe He was suggesting that there might come a time when they are called upon to defend themselves, in order to preserve the gospel message at a time of widespread warfare. I might be wrong, so I've asked God to let me know in a dream whether my assessment is accurate or not.

I would recommend trusting God for discernment, especially on the topic of extra-terrestrials. Simply because I believe we might be headed for a massive 'false flag', shock and awe, alien invasion type scenario. And don't pay any attention to 'channelled' material either, which comes from deceiving spirits, not peace-loving aliens.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I'm not a Christian anymore but way back when I was I definitely believed in the possibility of alien life as well and here's why:

The way I saw it the Universe was billions of years old (I was never into the young Earth idea) and God had been around that entire time. I never liked the idea that human kind was the center of God's plan or the center of the Universe, it was just too damn big for any of that. God had been around forever, even before the Universe began but the Earth was fairly recent, 4 billion years old, so the idea that God waited around 10 billion years before creating life didn't make any sense. I liked to sort of put myself in God's shoes, he can do anything, which means he has this whole Universe as a playground for experimenting with different lifeforms of varying shapes, elemental and chemical make-up, and intelligence levels.

Come on believers, put yourself in the shoes of a limitless God for a moment, you mean to tell me mankind is the best you could do? You wouldn't be doing other things elsewhere in the cosmos? We're talking about a God who is meant to be omnipresent as well, so limiting him to one planet worth of intelligent life is just anthropocentric nonsense.

I don't really agree with the idea that aliens are at all mentioned or talked about in the Bible. Attempts at connecting the two tend to stretch the Bible out of its proper religious and historical context in order to fit modern ideas of aliens in. But I still see no reason why theists can't accept the possibility of alien life, to deny the possibility is to put limits on God.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicorette

All I can say is that your post talks of vanity and humility, but demonstrates that your concept of both is upside down...

It is surely vanity to claim that the intelligence that handed down the commandments, and went on to provide the promised Messiah (thus canceling the need to keep the letter of the law), causing him to heal the sick and give sight to the blind, raise the dead and cast out demonic spirits - to suggest that the intelligence who caused these things to happen is somehow to be ignored/ridiculed as 'ignorant human fabrication' - it is surely vanity.

It is surely humility to accept the instruction of the intelligence who did all those things - to 'seek, for you will find'.

God is a rewarder of the truly humble, who admit their inability to measure up, and come in submission to learn from Him. Anyone who claims that we can never know the truth, obviously hasn't taken seriously the fact that God actually loves us. We are not a random cosmic accident, or a science project gone wrong. We are a cherished treasure, living in a terrible place, from which we will ultimately be liberated. We have a spiritual enemy, who will be conquered one day, and in fact has technically been conquered already.

Pride (such as assuming that you personally have the means to make absolute statements on the nature of the universe we live in) is the sin that caused angels to fall. Our leaders currently worship/ serve the interests of these fallen beings. Part of their strategy is to fool people into thinking that neither they, nor their counterparts on the heavenly side of the fence, exist - and that God either doesn't exist, or must not care. The deception runs rampant as we near the end of the age. Quantum science is already proving that we can't get to the fullest understanding of the universe by simple observation. A leap of faith is required.

I don't expect you to believe me, but hope that you will reconsider your perspective at some point in life.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
How could you explain Jesus choosing planet Earth from all the trillions of billions of planets to get crussified

or did Jesus repeated his story on every planet in the universe in every type of life form there is??

Or why God "forgot" to tell us about other superior intelligent life and gave man some long winded story then have the followers having to use vague passages to fill in the gaps for him - desperately rationalizing any and everything to try and marry the two concepts in a vain attempt to find a balance to allow belief in both.

The Bible states categorically and without ambiguity that man is the center of creation and the universe was formed in this manner, Adam & Eve etc. When Aliens prove otherwise Christians will be like:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Aright Giorgio.... Leave UFO's/Aliens out of the bible, ....

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Aliens most likely influenced christianity. So they have good reason not to want to believe in aliens.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Belief in angels is one thing. But space aliens? They would be creatures of flesh and blood. Without their spaceships and futuristic gadgets they would not be gods. But just like mortal humans.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join