It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New 2012 maya monument unearth by archaeologists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Archaeologists working at the site of La Corona in Guatemala have discovered a 1,300 year-old year-old Maya text that provides only the second known reference to the so-called “end date” for the Maya calendar on December 21, 2012. The discovery, one of the most significant hieroglyphic find in decades, was announced today at the National Palace in Guatemala.

“This text talks about ancient political history rather than prophecy, this new evidence suggests that the 13 Bak’tun date was an important calendrical event that would have been celebrated by the ancient Maya; however, they make no apocalyptic prophecies whatsoever regarding the date,"

La Corona for many decades has been known as the enigmatic “Site Q,” the source of many looted sculptures whose whereabouts had remained a mystery until its rediscovery only fifteen years ago. For the past five years, Marcello A. Canuto and Tomás Barrientos Q. (Director of the Centro de Investigaciones Arqueológicas y Antropológicas at Universidad del Valle de Guatemala) have directed the La Corona Regional Archaeological Project (PRALC) which has been investigating this intriguing Classic Maya city and its jungle environs.

In 2012, Canuto and Barrientos decided to excavate in front of a building that had been heavily damaged nearly 40 years ago by looters looking for carved stones and tombs. “Last year, we realized that looters of a particular building had discarded some carved stones because they were too eroded to sell on the antiquities black market,” said co-director Barrientos, “so we knew they found something important, but we also thought they might have missed something.” In fact, in 2012, excavations not only recovered 10 more discarded hieroglyphic stones but also something that the looters missed entirely—an untouched step with a set of 12 exquisitely carved stones still in their original location (in total, 22 carved stones were recovered). Combined with the known looted blocks, the original staircase had a total of no less than 264 hieroglyphs, making it one of the longest ancient Maya texts known, and the longest in Guatemala.

Why the 2012 date? Marcello A. Canuto, Director of Tulane’s Middle American Research Institute and co-director of the excavations at the Maya ruins of La Corona, explain:

Rather than prophesy, the 2012 reference served to place this king’s troubled reign and accomplishments into a larger cosmological framework. “This was a time of great political turmoil in the Maya region and this king felt compelled to allude to a larger cycle of time that happens to end in 2012,” says Stuart. This evidence is consistent with the only other reference to the 2012 date in ancient Maya inscriptions—Monument 6 from Tortuguero, Mexico. “What this text shows us is that in times of crisis, the ancient Maya used their calendar to promote continuity and stability rather than predict apocalypse,”

Read the whole article here

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I dont think any one has any idea what these designs mean....

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
The mainstream media started this whole thing there never was predictions for 2012 to be a year for disasters.

edit: The disasters that we see are because of what we are doing to the planet not because of some prophecy.

I think tptb want something to blame the distruction and colapse of their sinking ship on....
edit on 29-6-2012 by openeyeswideshut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I think we're all over the whole "disaster" portion of it. I want to know what the stone actually says. Them saying "This is not about disasters" does not satisfy me.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Does anyone know the real situation with what's going on anywhere?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
What about the film footage from Revelations of the Maya: 2012 and Beyond? Ever think we'll get to see it?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Always knew nothing was going to happen, I can't even image on how many people have cashed in on this scam.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Here are some links to 2012 references you won't find with a Google search - for those with an open mind about the topic, some may be obvious frauds but some contain interesting info:

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by openeyeswideshut
The mainstream media started this whole thing there never was predictions for 2012 to be a year for disasters.

edit: The disasters that we see are because of what we are doing to the planet not because of some prophecy.

I think tptb want something to blame the distruction and colapse of their sinking ship on....
edit on 29-6-2012 by openeyeswideshut because: (no reason given)

It was not the Media that started it but Tinfoil hats that interpreted the end of the Calender as meaning the End of The World and then spread the stuff around unttil the Movie industry cought it up and thought; "Hey, there are bunches of people actually believing this, let's make some profit of it!".

So, the only "TPTB" that are to blame, are The Tinfoilhats That Be, that started it all.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by chanel

What about the film footage from Revelations of the Maya: 2012 and Beyond? Ever think we'll get to see it?

I really don't know. The woman in the Team, as you may know, took the footage and ran with it, and that is basically all I know about it, since.

Anyway, I found the following FB-page, perhaps there could be some further info revealed from it; www.facebook.com...

In any case, the Documentary is registered at the IMDB, so it apparently do exist, so to speak: www.imdb.com...
edit on 30-6-2012 by Nightchild because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

...“This was a time of great political turmoil in the Maya region and this king felt compelled to allude to a larger cycle of time that happens to end in 2012,” says Stuart. This evidence is consistent with the only other reference to the 2012 date in ancient Maya inscriptions—Monument 6 from Tortuguero, Mexico. “

so the actual translation reads; "...happens to end in 2012."

i would say that the stone carving does not say 2012
but tellus that the 'End' will happen on the winter solstice...
and i don't even think the stone carving even says that the 'end date' is 1,300 years after the King being talked is no longer on the throne...

NO there is way too much of jumping to conclusions that 12-21-2012 is the proper date of the Maya calendar cycle

good find... but lets get a unbiased translator tell us just exactly what the inscription says...NOT what is Assumed by a series of others...

...“What this text shows us is that in times of crisis, the ancient Maya used their calendar to promote continuity and stability rather than predict apocalypse,” ...

well... if the King & calendar priests equated that troubled time period with the years immediately upon the 'end-of-calendar...
it only proves that trouble and strife/famine/disease/ect are common forces...
in that time period of the distressed kings' reign AND in the latter days to come...
was that to be considered some sort of solace to the people of that era?

That things would be even worse in the future--- ""so buckle up and strap in. you whiners"" is what the King of 1,300 years ago was telling the peasants/subjects of that paricular Maya city state
edit on 30-6-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
let me get this strait. They talked about a 1st bak'tun a second - 12th talked about a 13th but never is there any 14th Bak'tun.

so long as I have the story right, sure, since we are here and they are not, why not create a 14th Bak'tun.

after all it would be like creating a UltraSupreme Supreme Court, lets make another Ocean and here, just put another book after "The Revelation" that says "ha ha ha, just kidding, its all a hoax"

sure, I'm down with that!!!

spell check didn't like UltraSupreme Supreme Court

so much for a 14th Bak'tun

ah the ever rhetorical question. How did movie makers in 1997 know there would be an African American President of the United States in 2012?

edit on 30-6-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Nice find.

Pretty interesting and it supports the position that 2012 is a made up modern story.

top topics

join