It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canary Islands,Yellow Alert( El Hierro Volcano)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I certainly can't be the only one that is taking notice of the Canary Island situation. She has been shaking and quaking for a few days now. 750 Quakes in the last few days. Reports of bulging and I believe the island is at yellow Alert Status.
Article:Spanish Article Translated In VID And if anyone remembers these great documentaries: MEGA Tsunami
and this NAT GEO Doc

Certainly does not look good! Yikes
I just checked the live EQ map here.LIVE EQS and just looking over the last few days, I see the average magnitude rising steadily. JMHO. With all the recent Volcano activity globally it looks like a matter of time before El Hierro blows.The quakes do seem to be migrating towards the western end of the Island. That spells trouble! Hopefully a new island will emerge underwater Instead of the west end of the island sliding into the ocean. More Updates HERE YELLOW ALERT
Yellow MAP I don't even want to think about the possible consequences.
CANARY ISLAND QUAKE LIST

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Thanks a lot for the information (S+F for this). This is definitely something to watch and lets all hope that this calms down again.

If we really see an eruption with a landslide here we will see that 2012 is really the end. Just imagine what a 50ft tsunami (or 100+ ft as predicted by many scientist) will do to all those reactors on the west coast of the US

It is predicted that the tsunami of this landslide will directly hit the west coast so lets hope that this is just a small episode of earthquakes without any consequences for the volcano/island.

I've found this website with some info about the island/volcano here: modernsurvivalblog.com...
edit on 29-6-2012 by UnixFE because: Added link to webpage

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I'm replying to bump this up a little just to keep it getting noticed. El Hierro and Cumbre Vieja, both in the Canary Islands, both are huge threats if eruptions generate landslides. Although any generated waves will take up to 8 hours to cross the Atlantic, the African, European, and UK coastlines will be affected much sooner. A tsunami *could* hit the south coast of the UK in around 3 hours, which could be even more devasting if it happened in the middle of the night...how many people would have just no warning at all? Let's hope it just doesn't happen.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Cumbre vieja and El Hierro are like two horrible little timebombs, im really hoping nothing with come of this. s+f.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
I'm replying to bump this up a little just to keep it getting noticed. El Hierro and Cumbre Vieja, both in the Canary Islands, both are huge threats if eruptions generate landslides. Although any generated waves will take up to 8 hours to cross the Atlantic, the African, European, and UK coastlines will be affected much sooner. A tsunami *could* hit the south coast of the UK in around 3 hours, which could be even more devasting if it happened in the middle of the night...how many people would have just no warning at all? Let's hope it just doesn't happen.

Unfortunately, this theory was proposed by a couple of scientists / geologists and the MSM jumped all over it. In actual fact, the overwhelming amount of geologists that have seen the same data have seriously challenged this viewpoint - both in terms of potential tsunami size but also, and far more importantly, even on the fact that either could slide into the sea on anything like the scale proposed.

In other words, i really wouldn't worry about it.

That said, the Canary Islands are a potentially very violent part of the world. If i lived on Hierro at the moment, i would be very, very worried - the whole island lifting 5cm in only 4 days is pretty spectacular. it may only sound a small rise, but in that time scale that is very worrying, particularly as it shows that at present there is no active vent for it to rise from.

Several earthquakes in Tenerife over the last few years too - wouldn't want to be there if Teide has a violent eruption. Had a book once i borrowed from an old geology professor that had half a chapter on Teide. It demonstrated that in a Vesuvius (AD 79) type eruption, the island would be covered by a minimum of 20 ft of ash! The geological strata of the island shows that this volcano is certainly capable of producing this type of explosion, although it should be noted that there haven't been any particularly violent eruptions for quite a while.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I hear what you're saying...the last thing I want to do is get people all worried about what will hopefully be nothing. It's just that there is potential for something like this, and perhaps it should be in the back of our minds, or someones mind, at least. No geologist, never mind any of the rest of us, can accurately predict how an eruption/landslip/tsunami event might unfold or what the consequences might be. We just have to be aware of potentials, that's all. There have been landslips, albeit on a smaller scale in the past that have affected even this part of the world, like the Storegga event. I just don't want to be one of the ones not expecting a biblical event, just cuz one hasn't happened here in the last 46 years.
(That's how old I am, by the way...
)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Mister1k

No, just the other day saw an update to El Hierro, but didn't get a chance to post it. Certainly is a scary, I remember when Peter Jennings of ABC(that was when the main stream media was a little bit more unbiased when there reporting, not much but a little bit) went out there to look at it At the time the take on it was 100 ft tidal waves, a tsunami of epic proportions.
But that was before the Japan quake.

I highly doubt the media, is looking at it all. Busy waiting for the next scandal to arise, for cover up of real news.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Its getting serious now......

Update
29/06 – 13:43 UTC - 105 earthquakes so far today ! The weakening of the process has been reversed the last couple of hours (stronger).
- The depth of the earthquakes is again upwards, this after a chaotic period yesterday and earlier today.
- Since 12:41 UTC, harmonic tremor and earthquakes started to pick-up again. Our readers checking our pages a number of times a day should check the depth and the location of the earthquakes after 12:41 UTC. The increased HT is a new magma flow who fills up new lava tibes, cracks etc. Once it is filled up it HT will decrease again. The vertical lines on the graphs are earthquakes (minor (not reported by IGN these days) and major alike).

Source

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I remember seeing a documentary about this volcano, and it's potential of creating a Tsunami that would be pretty bad for most of the Atlantic

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

edit on 6/29/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnixFE
Thanks a lot for the information (S+F for this). This is definitely something to watch and lets all hope that this calms down again.

If we really see an eruption with a landslide here we will see that 2012 is really the end. Just imagine what a 50ft tsunami (or 100+ ft as predicted by many scientist) will do to all those reactors on the west coast of the US

It is predicted that the tsunami of this landslide will directly hit the west coast so lets hope that this is just a small episode of earthquakes without any consequences for the volcano/island.

I've found this website with some info about the island/volcano here: modernsurvivalblog.com...
edit on 29-6-2012 by UnixFE because: Added link to webpage

Guessing you are talking about the west coast of Europe? I know if something big happens and regardless of size of tsunami produced that the east coast of the US will have to watch....especially Florida.

Also a lot of good info in thread : www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 6/29/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Mister1k

zomg we arz going to die!!!1
fear
fear!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Shminkee Pinkee

We'll know it's bad when we see obama and higher ups of DC clear out suddenly.
But this is gonna be bad if that moutain side slids off, something deffinately worth keeping an eye on and if you live on the east coast a full tank of gas for a quick getaway.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

I have just read an academic report that states the mega tsunami's may be an issue - but only for the Canaries archipelago. Potential for waves 800 - 1500 ft high. However, based on ocean currents, wave lengths, amplitudes, etc, even if this happened any waves that the US would be far far smaller than this in size (although still large enough for significant damage).

However, before any of our US friends panic, it also states that this would be from a full or large scale landslide / collapse. Their research shows that this is not likely, based on observed remains of other slips from collapsed volcanoes. By far the biggest likelihood is small scale collapse, generating no massive waves (unless you are nearby).

ETA:

Will try and find the report online - i will post it if i do. It was undertaken because of the fears generated following the "mega tsunami" sensationalism.
edit on 29-6-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I don't even pretend to know what would happen if that big chunk of land falls into the ocean, but I found some info from more recent computer simulations and it sounds as if they're saying the megatsunami we've all come to fear is a worst case scenario and is unlikely to happen. Here's a link:

To take a fresh look at the impact of these smaller events — and give old results a reality check — a different research group created and ran the most detailed computer simulations to date for the volcano.

“This has remained unexplored territory,” said Stéphan Grilli , a University of Rhode Island ocean engineer and co-author of the new tsunami study, published March 30 in Journal of Geophysical Research . “Our hunch now is that the East Coast would see no more than a hurricane storm surge of 10 to 15 feet.”

Source

This seems to suggest that at least the east coast of the US wont be obliterated. Would be nice to see predictions for other countries as well. I'm in the US and even I think there's too much focus on the US alone! There are plenty other people out there on other continents as well!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Great Thread buddy!

Thanks for the Information. My uncle had to leave today from Canary.... (Research for some life, I don't know!)

He said it's just like constant little rumbles, some big ones.

I don't care much about that Islands. They are like just nothing. California could have a huge Quake and slide into the Ocean Believe it or not!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
When it does go and the tsunami it created hit east coast. Those of us that live in Florida, will find ourself swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The main threat in my view is the potential for explosiveness if the sea water that surrounds the volcano makes it to the magma chamber... The temp differential of the water meeting the magma would blow the whole island apart... The resulting tsunami would be devastating...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnixFE

I don't want to burst you bubble but nothing will happen to the west coast reactors.
This volcano is in the Atlantic not the pacific and will only wipe out the east coast of the US.
That will be no big loss.when Washington is wiped out.
en.wikipedia.org...
www.rense.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I have seen the potential problems with the landslide/tsunami issue feature in a documentry in the past, but fir the life of me, cant remember the areas/coasts that could be hit.
Is there a map showing possible at risk areas?
I love the canary islands, having been there many tines in the past for holidays on lanzarote.
No doubt the islands are getting busy now with holiday makers from the UK and other parts of europe.
If this blows off in the next 6 weeks, then it coulsnt be at a worse time, as this is when the uslands are their busiest.
I shall be watching this closely.

P.s. Pkease excuse my typos. Doing this post from my touchscreen cell phone, and my thumbs are too big fir the keyboard lol

<<   2  3 >>

join