It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to hold back time - for a second

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
Yeah time is a concept created by man, as stated by a previous poster. There is no time in space. And what kind of scientific term is that anyhow? "Wibbly wobbly". I mean come on...

-SAP-

edit on 28-6-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

As long as entropy exists, time will continue to exist everywhere in our universe. We may not be there to observe it, but we can never be sure that someone or something else is not observing.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

four words
montauk project

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

When I read the title I said to myself "this is a definite read", then when I read it, I was like #%#$%@&^%&%@$^^&@$#%@#$^%$^#..

I thought scientists finally did a break through, but nah, jokes..

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Yes, it certainly caught my eye. Too bad they can't figure out how to do it literally, or better yet, to time-travel. Especially if you wanted to go back and try to change your mistakes. Maybe one day.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Nice post Doc

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jcolsto

You do know that is the title given by the article, right? Not the OP. You might need to actually click on a link next time (you know, so you'll have some idea of what you are talking about?)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by BellaSabre

Hence my reply above admitting the error of my ways. You might want to actually read through the comments before you reply. You know, so you have some idea of what you are talking about?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jcolsto

Oh. Ooops.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Okay so the math is strong,

In reality what is happening, is that one method of measurement is being used in the 3d world, to record an aspect of an experience/event, one other method is being used to measure the other part of the event measurable. Not in the 3d world.

Doh.

Im sorry mathematically and in reality lemons are left handed oranges, in smell and taste to, I dare anyone to deny that, however they are obviously very different?

Really? in that lies the answer to all that is.

Love J

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I don't understand...it takes millions and millions of dollars to make clocks calculate in such a way that a second is added daily?

And obviously misleading title, but that has been covered

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
they haven't really spent much as far as doing all this.
Our time periods are divided into years, (months, weeks, days), hours, minutes and seconds. we are an infintesimal amount off as far as seconds go in our calculations. something like 0.000000000001 or something of that nature. Due to this, since 1972, they have occaisionally added a second, called a "leap second" just as we have added a day in Feb for "leap year".

Now don't ask me why they don't just add the second on to leap day and have it done with, but they don't.
Here's a wikipedia article that shows when the second has been added through the years.

This isn't some new-fangled idea, it's been around for 40 years, and this just happens to be the year they're going to add one to keep us in sync with the atomic clock.

en.wikipedia.org...

ETA: we're still about 9 total seconds off from Universal time compared to terrestrial time (atomic clock vs "earth time") and that will be added eventually... it would be much easier to just do it all at once on a leap day, but I don't get to make those decisions.
edit on 29-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Woohoo, I got more time to do nothing now!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
Yeah time is a concept created by man, as stated by a previous poster. There is no time in space.

Of course there is - it's called space-time.

Tah dah!

edit on 28-6-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

Time definitely exists in space.

Space Time is not like regular time, it's a ratio. When you experience 99% space you experience 1% time, when you experience 99% time you experience 1% space.

Time exists in space, it's just the faster you travel the more space you experience and the less time you experience. So in other words the more of one you experience, the less of the other you experience and vice versa. When standing still time ticks like it does for you when reading this. When traveling at 28,000 mph in orbit, you are traveling through more space and hence experiencing less time. Time has to do with speed of traversing space, the faster you go, the slower time ticks, the slower you go, the faster time ticks. If you were to travel FTL you would actually become younger as time would move backwards. Time can't move backwards, this is why Light Speed is the fastest universal constant. We can likely traverse faster than FTL, but only by utilizing short cuts, or if we were to figure out a way to travel out of the physical realm.

Time and space are intrinsically linked by a ratio. Time is not a man made concept, it exists. Things die over time. Things break, over time. The way we keep track of time is a man made concept, but time itself is crucial to the existence of the universe.

P.S.

Daylight savings time is pretty dumb and should go. There are some places in America that don't do day light time... Timezones are pretty stupid as well. It doesn't matter to me what my clock says, it only matters to me if there is daylight outside.

In other words, if the world was synced in time record, I would still wake up when the sun rose, I would still go to bed a few hours after it set. It wouldn't be 6am and 11pm, it would be more like 12 am and 5pm. It wouldn't change a thing.

We actually already have this, it's called "World Time" which is then applied to "Internet Time." Why we do the day light savings is baffling to me.

My father says "I don't want to go to work at 1 in the morning" and I say, but in reality you are going to work at the same time, you are just changing what the clock reads for YOU. You don't get any less sleep, any more sleep, you don't lose time... it just reads accurately the same for everyone on the globe.

The way daylight savings time works is just dumb. As a result to daylight savings and Time Zone's we actually have parts of the globe a whole day ahead, even though they aren't ahead. So who's calendar is wrong? Ours (The U.S.) or Asia's?

More specifically, say the world were to end on December 21st 2012. Who's clock are we counting by, because those in Asia are going to be on the 22nd by the time we get to the 21st. This is stupid as a day signifies how long it takes for the earth to complete 1 revolution. That process takes 24 hours, not 40. Timezones make it 40, since Asia is 16 hours ahead of the states.

So in essence what they do is count a day from multiple starting positions, known as timezones. Each time zone starts their 24 hours based on the position of the sun in relation to their position on the earth, even though a day has nothing to do with the sun.

A year is how long it takes to revolve around the sun, a day is how long it takes for our globe to spin 1 complete revolution. We spin 366 360º revolutions to every revolution around the sun.

Therefor, I deduce the person who came up with timezones was an idiot.

P.S.S.

We should also use a unified 24 hour clock, instead of the 12 hour clock. The 12 hour clock is what confuses people into thinking that you want them to work in the middle of the night. AM/PM F's it all up.

In other words, my dad wouldn't care if he got 8 hours of sleep and was awake for 16 hours and had to get up at hour 1. He only thinks he cares because he associates hour 1 with darkness. He still gets 8 hours of sleep and 16 ours of being awake. He still has to go to work an hour after he wakes. Whats the difference what the clock says.... nothing, there is no difference in reality.
edit on 29-6-2012 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BellaSabre

No big deal. It happens. We scan through a couple of comments and say to ourselves, "Oh no they didn't!" and go from there. Most people, when they see a link posted by a person adversarial to their claim, will simply scan a line or two and go from there (if they even click on it). I appreciate being called on my bs. I'll either try to better understand/source my claims, or I'll back off. I like debate; in fact, I love dissenting opinions. I think they make us stronger in our beliefs and as people. In this case, you and the original poster were right. I clicked the initial article, read that it was misleading (the media's fault, not the OP), and based argumentation off that. Had I looked through the comments, I wouldn't have made that mistake. In fact, comment 2 (made by OP) completely diffused my argument.

This was my fault; I only threw it back to save face. Nothing personal at all.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join