It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to hold back time - for a second

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I had plans for that second. I was going on a hot date.

It is not fair.

I will have to cancel it for another time.

Not enough notice in my book

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I could have sworn that they did this last year too??

Maybe I had a time slip
I distinctly recall them doing this last year or maybe the year before. Silly human scientists thinking they can hold back time :shk: . I am actually still waiting for them to get rid of daylight savings time as well. They should work on that next.
edit on 6/28/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

The last one was Dec 31, 2008

en.wikipedia.org...

ETA: I'm all for getting rid of Daylight Savings Time!!! I hate it!
edit on 28-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

Woah! I had a "couple of years" time slip!
I knew I did recall it though.

I think they keep DST to torture us.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

They are Logical guesses though, that means they thought about it so long they forgot to ask themselves why they are even bothering to think about it.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

You must be quick as a bunny

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by magma

You must be quick as a bunny

Well, he's a guy sooo.....

Teasing!!! Only teasing! I couldn't resist...

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Been waiting all year for that too, saving up and everything.

Sure its a quicky but you should see her
I was looking forward to being able to brag and sayu it was worth every second

But now I can't

I feel ripped off, cheated and abused

I am the victim in this

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
mmmmmm never mind

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Sensationalist and misleading thread title here! You make it sound as if this is some kind of time travel experiment when in fact it's just slightly adjusting the way we measure time on Earth. Uncool.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jcolsto

Silent Thunder himself conceded it is misleading, and he posted in Breaking Alternative News, one of few forums to contain exact headline of news articles posted.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by exzgtct

You're right. I withdraw my criticism. Was just hoping for something more substantial, I guess. That's all on me, though. Thanks for setting me straight!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
Time keeping is a Man Made concept as is to control the mass populace,

Time, Calenders, Age Etc,

It is a man made concept but it has nothing to do with controlling people...It is just mans nature to try and put things into a linear order. It is how our brain works. It wants order.

Time is basically just a measurement of the expansion rate of the universe.

Time it self is not a physical thing.

Vote TRUTH_2012 for ATS Regent.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

This leap second actually has implications. We have to do maintenance on equipment because of it. As we fine-tune and more accurately determine our construct of time, these adjustments become necessary.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Are we allowed to move during the second being held back?
I need to know it might be important?

Absolutely not!

Everyone has to remain completely still otherwise there will be no point in freezing the second.

Here's how its done -

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by DarkKnight21

Yeah, seriously though. These guys have PhDs (we assume) and they can't even tell us the actual term...

The "guys with PhDs" aren't writing the article. If they would have said "precession," 95% of the people who read it would have to Google the term. The author made it easily comprehensible. What exactly is the problem there?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Earth gets out of step with International Atomic Time (TAI),

Earth gets out of step? And you wonder why you cannot get passed the use of the wheel.

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

It is just mans nature to try and put things into a linear order. It is how our brain works. It wants order.

Not true. Mayhap for you. My brain is fine in the state that it is. It is definitely not seeking order.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by bowtomonkey
There was probably a team of experts working tirelessly with a budget of, say $10 million, and a further budget of $100 million to sway the officials in over governments whose team has used up only $9 million

.. and of course ATS blames the Illuminati for having the cash and the USA for the wobbles

Lol. Tha's a nice one. Hopefully the Guys at Cern will read your post.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Well yeah it's man made, but it wasn't to control the populace. Even without time, we'd still say stuff like "a while ago" "the next rising sun"

Age though, yeah I think so. People to get hung over it. I couldn't wait till I was 16, even though all it meant was if I got caught having sex by the police I wouldn't get in trouble. I can't wait till a few weeks when i'm 18 so I can sit and get wasted everyday, but it's all silly cos if I wanted to I could do that anyways. People want to achieve things by a certain age, assume there's a certain way to act as you age because others that age act that way.

I think they take advantage of the way our brain thinks about ageing, or maybe it wouldn't be like that at all without the influence.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Explain "Man Made" to our Suprachiasmatic nucleus.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Yeah time is a concept created by man, as stated by a previous poster. There is no time in space. And what kind of scientific term is that anyhow? "Wibbly wobbly". I mean come on...

No, your idea of time was created.

Space-time, the fabric of the universe, is real and can be manipulated.

Gravity affects time, speed affects time, etc etc..

But, time as an esoteric concept, does exist but only in our perceptions. Events happen in a linear fashion, you posted your comment, then I followed with mine. Time is merely a concept to explain to our pea brains the effects of events happening in a linear fashion instead of all at once.

Time is relative to the observer, and this is where it gets hard to really understand, but it's been tested and proven, time exists as we experience things happening, but time for me is not time for you, it's depending on mass and speed.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Good. I could use the extra sleep.

This reminds me of a time when I had to give a speech before about 300 people. The speech was supposed to start at 7pm sharp. I got there at 7:05pm. The organizers were freaking out because I was late. Someone pointed at the clock on the wall and whined about not starting on time.I walked to the clock, took it off the wall and moved the hands back to 6:59....problem solved. The guy looked at me with a blank stare and said, "you can't do that". I said if you don't like it you can take it up with Einstein. I gave my speech and all was well with the world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join