It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to hold back time - for a second

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Scientists to hold back time - for a second

www.telegraph.co.uk

The last minute of June 30, 2012 is destined to be 61 seconds long, for timekeepers are to add a "leap second" to compensate for the wibbly-wobbly movements of our world.

The ever-so-brief halting of the second hand will compensate for a creeping divergence from solar time, meaning the period required for Earth to complete a day.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Now that the the article has your attention...let it be noted that the headline is misleading. They aren't actually doing anything to "time itself" in a "fabric-of-reality" sense. Rather, they are fine-tuneing and synching the way time is measured.

A leap year here, a leap second there...who makes these calls, and what can happen in an extra second? Probably nothing too exciting, although the way we measure and synch time is interesting in its own right, simply because it always seems to be more complex than you (or me, at least) might guess at first glance.

Happy leap-second!

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
There was probably a team of experts working tirelessly with a budget of, say $10 million, and a further budget of $100 million to sway the officials in over governments whose team has used up only $9 million

.. and of course ATS blames the Illuminati for having the cash and the USA for the wobbles

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

let it be noted that the headline is misleading.

no s or f for you !

screw a leap second.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Are we allowed to move during the second being held back?
I need to know it might be important?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Damnit, Earth, you're messing up our calculations here!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Time keeping is a Man Made concept as is to control the mass populace,

Time, Calenders, Age Etc,

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I could have sworn that they did this last year too??

Maybe I had a time slip
I distinctly recall them doing this last year or maybe the year before. Silly human scientists thinking they can hold back time :shk: . I am actually still waiting for them to get rid of daylight savings time as well. They should work on that next.
edit on 6/28/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Co-ordinated Universal Time (UTC) is "controlled" by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures.

UTC is allowed to be up to 0.9 seconds different from UT1 - which is defined by the Earth's rotation.
edit on 28-6-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Yeah time is a concept created by man, as stated by a previous poster. There is no time in space. And what kind of scientific term is that anyhow? "Wibbly wobbly". I mean come on...

-SAP-

edit on 28-6-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky

let it be noted that the headline is misleading.

no s or f for you !

screw a leap second.

Misleading subject lines should be grounds for total thread deletion. "Saucer spotted in woods" should be about UFO's and not about a little plate found buried in the dirt. "Scientists to hold back time" should be about time travel and nothing else. No S&F here.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
Yeah time is a concept created by man, as stated by a previous poster. There is no time in space. And what kind of scientific term is that anyhow? "Wibbly wobbly". I mean come on...

-SAP-

edit on 28-6-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

I got a good chuckle out of that one too.

I believe the correct term is "precession" here.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight21

Yeah, seriously though. These guys have PhDs (we assume) and they can't even tell us the actual term...

Off topic: Awesome Avatar DarkKnight21

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
Yeah time is a concept created by man, as stated by a previous poster. There is no time in space.

Of course there is - it's called space-time.

Tah dah!

edit on 28-6-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
All that research leading to this second was wasted because it really doesn't matter. I hope they didn't spend much money on this crap.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Our calendar is #. It makes no sense and sucks ass. Monday tuesday wednesday thursday friday saturday sunday. Where's the variety? Whatever a civilizations calendar is, it shapes the whole consciousness of the society. Hence why we are so ass #ing backwards. Some asshat named pope gregory instituted the gregorian calendar in the 17th century. We're STILL following it. Hey if it ain't broke don't fix it right? Jose Arguelles has proposed a 13th month calendar more in tune with the lunar cycles. I think we should have a calendar more in tune with natures cycles rather than blatantly opposing them. Makes for a very non harmonious existence.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I could have sworn that they did this last year too??

Maybe I had a time slip
I distinctly recall them doing this last year or maybe the year before. Silly human scientists thinking they can hold back time :shk: . I am actually still waiting for them to get rid of daylight savings time as well. They should work on that next.
edit on 6/28/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

The last one was Dec 31, 2008

en.wikipedia.org...

ETA: I'm all for getting rid of Daylight Savings Time!!! I hate it!
edit on 28-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
All that research leading to this second was wasted because it really doesn't matter. I hope they didn't spend much money on this crap.

they've been doing it here and there since 1972

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
in your face, take that monday

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The Earth is slowing now that is a fact. Now by how much you ask.
Well you tell me. I have been all over the net and I get anything from 2 milliseconds per century up to 1 second every 18 months.

As to how long until a full stop? Well again the numbers are all over the place From 140 million years all the way up to (now hold on) 1.9 trillon years so the sun will blow up before the Earth does a full stop.
I find it funny that the number are so messed up and all over the place. It is crazy. I think evey one is just guessing.
edit on 6/28/2012 by fixer1967 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join