It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soccer: "Opium of the masses"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Hey everyone, just some random thinking I wanted to share with you...and just as a little disclaimer, I'm no expert on the economic situation in EU, but I know enough.

I have always struggled to identify with any one religion, or to hold onto the tribal seperations we call countries, and likewise have difficulty enjoying sports like soccer or hockey, and sticking to my regional team made of of imported players for the right price.

That being said- I have been observing the Euro Cup tournament going on and it may be a stretch, but it looks like the whole point of these games is to give some entertainment and distraction to the countries who are currently at the cusp of economic disaster- Portugal, Spain, Italy. It's why I was certain Italy and Spain would be in the finals, since Greece is already a write off (economically) and Portugal, well it seems they've been more complacent regarding the situation. Germany (playing the entertaining roll of Goliath) simply did not need a win, the extra morale was not needed, and they played pretty poorly today, Italy was running circles around them at points.

So I'm going to go right out and say it, I think whoever wins these finals will be the next country to follow in Greece's footsteps. And I hate to say it but I'm guessing it will be italy. btw I'm obviously implying that these games are just a little fixed, but I could be wrong.
edit on 28-6-2012 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by el1jah
Hey everyone, just some random thinking I wanted to share with you...and just as a little disclaimer, I'm no expert on the economic situation in EU, but I know enough.

I have always struggled to identify with any one religion, or to hold onto the tribal seperations we call countries, and likewise have difficulty enjoying sports like soccer or hockey, and sticking to my regional team made of of imported players for the right price.

That being said- I have been observing the Euro Cup tournament going on and it may be a stretch, but it looks like the whole point of these games is to give some entertainment and distraction to the countries who are currently at the cusp of economic disaster- Portugal, Spain, Italy. It's why I was certain Italy and Spain would be in the finals, since Greece is already a write off (economically) and Portugal, well it seems they've been more complacent regarding the situation. Germany (playing the entertaining roll of Goliath) simply did not need a win, the extra morale was not needed, and they played pretty poorly today, Italy was running circles around them at points.

So I'm going to go right out and say it, I think whoever wins these finals will be the next country to follow in Greece's footsteps. And I hate to say it but I'm guessing it will be italy. btw I'm obviously implying that these games are just a little fixed, but I could be wrong.
edit on 28-6-2012 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

Portugal, Spain, Italy & Germany were the favourites before the Tournament anyway,Spain has won the last World Cup and the last Euro in 2008 with almost this same team.So its no surprise they are in the finals, They have been discribed as one of the best teams in the world ever.The German team is fantastic to,they got to the finals of the last world cup with almost the same team as well.
Portugal also has an amazing team with two of the best midfield players in the world (Ronaldo and Nani). The Italy team is a fantastic team too, with some amazing players like Pirlo & Balotelli.So i dont realy see your point, to sum up....these four teams that got to the semis, were probably the four best teams in Europe anyway, so its no shock or surprise.
edit on 28-6-2012 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
As far as Opiates of the masses go , football is a pretty good one. It's a universal language and the greatest sport ever invented. These championships have been a fantastic spectacle and a much needed distraction for many Europeans. I hope and expect Spain to go on and win. They are also the next to to be hit hard in the EURO, but I don't think there is a connection with the football team and the financial crisis.

Maybe they should employ the Spanish manager Vicente Del Bosque to run the country.

new topics

join