It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This contempt charge against Holder could get really crazy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Contempt vote would put Eric Holder, US Attorney in uncharted territory
www.foxnews.com...

The all-but-certain contempt of Congress charge against U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder could put one of his own employees in the awkward position of dragging his boss in front of a grand jury, but experts doubt it will happen.
(amended to certain as the vote has taken place)

The man that would be called to subpoena Holder would be U.S. Attorney General Ronald Machen. Skim his wikipedia biography and tell me if you think this Obama appointee is going to turn his boss over to a grand jury?
en.wikipedia.org...

How can he avoid it?

"If the U.S. Attorney believes the assertion of executive privilege is well-taken — meaning he thinks that there is no contempt because Holder had a privilege not to comply with the subpoena — he has no duty to present the matter to the grand jury,"

Can Holder overrule Machen if he actually did send him to face a grand jury?

Perhaps a more likely scenario would be for Congress to have a special prosecutor to issue the subpoena and the grand jury would have to rule on the validity of the executive privilege.

What a can of worms!

edit on 6/28/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Yeah, it's pretty wild... it is too bad the GOP has destroyed their credibility over the last 3 1/2 years by raising so many obviously false claims and charges against the Obama Administration.

As it is, at this point I at least do not believe these charges (the contempt charges). I do not like the use of EP at ALL; I didn't like it when Bush used it and I don't like it now that Obama has.

However, it is undeniable that Bush used EP in situations evidencing far greater crimes on the part of his Administration than this appears to be for Obama. So having the same Congress Critters that supported and defended Bush in his use of it now getting all in an uproar by Obama's use is somewhat ironic. But not surprising.

Nor is their targeting of Holder particularly surprising. The GOP is desparate to suppress as many votes as they can in this cycle, and the DOJ is pushing back. Not hard enough, but pushing. For them to put Holder in any kind of duress that they can, by for instance trumped Contempt charges, is just one more brick in the GOP strategy to suppress as many votes as they can.

So the behavior of the GOP by even raising this issue is suspect, given their own fairly recent history on this subject, and their targeting of Holder is also suspect, given his actions in fighting the GOP vote suppression strategy. It is reminiscint of the Bush DOJ firing those various States Attornys General for political reasons.

It's a mess. And the Obama Administration is not shining very brightly on this. But the behavior of the GOP has ruined their own credibility. I for one will not be changing my vote (for what it's worth... ) based on this latest GOP circus act.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Yes it would be a precarious situation for the AG! But couldent happen to a better person!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

Excuse me, targeting Holder?????? Is that what it is called when you are caught lying under oath? Let's stick with the here and now instead of deflecting back previous administrations crimes.

This executive privilege from Obama reeks of cover-up.

Sorry, to take an angry tone.
edit on 6/28/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Some democrats seem to the this is all a big fuss over a single death. And that giving only 5% of documents requested regarding F&F is ok. It's easy to redirect blame and walk out for them as well. It won't be so easy when the truth comes to light as it will and that administration had better brace themselves when it does.

No
Fortitude.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

More like a waste of time and resources. This will be long forgotten before any action is taken on it, just a show put on for the masses in an election year.

All noise, no meat.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Yes, "targeting Holder". It is what it's called when charges are brought for political rather than legal reasons.

Absolutely this reeks of cover up.

And it is true that many many right wingers really really want Bush to just have never been, and it is very inconvenient when reminders of his behavior and the defense of his behavior are brought up. So sorry to be inconvenient.

The problem here is, you know as well as I do, that if this exact same set of circumstances were in play, with the exact same people in the House, and the ONLY difference is that this was a Republican Administration, these charges would never have been brought.

THAT is the problem here. One of them, anyway. As stated earlier, the Obama Administration is not doing themselves any favors. EP sucks, and gun running sucks and politicians in general suck.

But the behavior of the GOP has raised "suck" to new levels of meaning.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Think about this. By approving "Fast and Furious", Holder could face criminal charges of "Felicitation of Murder" in the deaths of the two agents and everybody else who was killed by these weapons. If Holder is found guilty of these charges, Obama could face criminal charges under RICO for his claim of "Executive Priviledge".

As far as Bush is concerned, don't you think that if there was anything that he could LEGALLY be charged with, that Pelosi would have done so?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Yea this all because of a democrat being in office
I have been following this since it broke and the media silence has been telling. Real brief coverage then nothing. Perhaps if Holder hadn't been playing games this whole time it wouldn't have come to this. He created this fiasco by lying and stonewalling. But no some people want to try and claim this is a republican election stunt. If this went down under Bush the torches would be all ready lit and the mob would be raising a stink.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Obama will just pardon him anyway

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
My family and I watch a lot of various news stations, just to get a little taste of the mainstream spin. I also check alternative news sites to find issues that I should research. The lack of coverage for F&F based on political preference is astounding.
You've got CNN and MSNBC, who if they say anything it's just a quick spun snippet "Republicans trying to hold AG Holder in contempt."
Then you have Fox, who basically want to crucify Obama at any cost.

Plain and simple, Obama is covering something. Holder has been covering something. The whole thing is a mess and they don't have a lot of time left.

I don't disagree that a lot of republicans are just trying to nail Obama on something else, or that the democrats just want to protect their own. But something smells here.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Justice Department shields Holder from prosecution after contempt vote
(videos at link)

www.foxnews.com...

Republicans technically have a handful of other options if the Justice Department still refused to take the case to a grand jury.

Republicans could move to appoint a special prosecutor or even move to impeach. The last time that happened with a Cabinet member, though, was in 1876 -- with the impeachment trial of war secretary William Belknap.

Surprised? Can't wait to see what Obama does.

new topics

top topics

join