It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House holds Holder in contempt

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Those that walked are guilty of having a hand in it.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The standing rule that you don't prosecute the crimes of the previous administration is just bull! I don't care what or who the previous administration was if they violated the law then they need to be prosecuted.

They should learn that the only to defend and uphold true democracy is to throw the previous administration under the bus when evidence of crimes emerge.

Bush and now Obummer think that this tradition is serving the people when it only serves the their system and does nothing but encourage future crimes because they know they will get away with it!

for Congress and now will the Democrats finally bring criminal charges for Rummy and little Dickie..

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Holder has given these Republican schemers all the documents they asked for.

Now they want docs from 2011 that Eric Holder is "forbidden by law" from sharing.

This was a ATF scheme that Holder and Obama knew ZERO about until Holder shut it down.

>> This is going to bite Republicans on the ass. They are merely fishing for documents that are actually just internal memos -- totally unconnected to the Fast and Furious program -- hoping to find something they can misconstrue to a gullible public.

I was kind of skeptical of this whole charade and the more I know about it, the more I know it's the same old Republican dirty tricks to try and get control. They have nothing of value to offer but they sure know how to make people look bad.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by stanats

Allowing yourself to be bribed and threatened by the NRA has nothing to do with integrity.

Neither does allowing yourself to be bribed by the Teamsters, NEA and a whole lot of other AFL-CIO affiliated acronyms!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst

Now they want docs from 2011 that Eric Holder is "forbidden by law" from sharing.

This was a ATF scheme that Holder and Obama knew ZERO about until Holder shut it down.

>> This is going to bite Republicans on the ass. They are merely fishing for documents that are actually just internal memos -- totally unconnected to the Fast and Furious program -- hoping to find something they can misconstrue to a gullible public.

I was kind of skeptical of this whole charade and the more I know about it, the more I know it's the same old Republican dirty tricks to try and get control. They have nothing of value to offer but they sure know how to make people look bad.
If there's nothing there, why not release it?
Scared of something, apparently.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Atleast they did one thing right yesterday. This is a good start now just repeal Obummer Care and we're on the right track again.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Why are elected officials throwing temper tantrums? I wish I could have a job where I got to storm off in the middle of the job and still get paid.

They are trying to turn it into a "Race Thing" in a lazy attempt to cover up the illegal actions of holder.

(second line)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This is nothing more then a dog and pony show to add deflections until after the elections( Which of course I do not believe we will have a finished set of elections in 2012)...

Just "saying" that you are assigning the moniker of being in "contempt" , is definitively not the same as being "held" in contempt...

One is nothing more then a slap on the wrist, and a small trivial fine, the other is being "held in jail" for contempt and not being allowed to go home...

Until this nimrod is "arrested" and "held in contempt" , this is worthless to give a minuscule amount of mental observation to IMHO...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Justice Department has informed Congress that they will not prosecute Holder for contempt.

source

So as many predicted absolutely nothing will come of this.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Just because the DOJ wont dont mean they cant. Its a conflict of interest for the DOJ to do it anyway. If need be it will be a civil trial possibly. The point is DOJ does not control congress and has no ability to actually stop it.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by observer42

Correct me if i am wrong, but the prosecution is going to be conducted by the DA for Washington DC, not the DoJ.

Of course the DoJ isn't going to prosecute Holder runs the DoJ. Why would he prosecute himself for not presenting documents?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Holder will squeal like a pig,

and implicate Obama.

Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hendrix92TheUniverse

Hell no he won't. He will clam up and hope Obama stays in the clear. That way, on Obama's last day in office, Holder can receive a pardon.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
reply to post by xuenchen

What I find interesting is that Pelosi didn't vote "No", she didn't vote at all.

I think those that don't take a stand and just don't vote are all cowards.

Honestly, this is their job, they are paid well to take a stand for their states, why do they have the right to not vote and many almost never bother to show up!
edit on 29-6-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

....and Congress doesn't control the DOJ.

Get it yet ?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

If Congress wishes, they can use 'inherent contempt' and arrest Holder themselves. The power is established, has been used in the past and has been upheld by SCOTUS.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

The file Issa entered into the record states otherwise in terms of how much the DOJ knew and when they knew it. The civil contempt is going to be the determining factor in all of this. Since it goes before a judge with no need for a prosecutor to file charges (civil and not criminal), the judge will be able to decide the issue once and for all.

If the judge determines -
The material being subpoenaed is within the scope of the governments request (Congress is NOT required to explain the focus of their investigation btw)

Executive privilege does not apply.

Then the criminal charges can be reinstated and moved forward with the use of a special prosecutor.

From the other possibility category -
Holder has lied to the committee on a few occasions now, even though he has gone back and tried to clarify / correct. Executive privilege cannot be applied to conceal criminal actions. Lying to congress is a criminal offense and privilege was invoked after he lied and was caught.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst

If there's nothing there, why not release it?
Scared of something, apparently.

Release what?

They've given the Republicans over 7000 documents -- they are well outside of anything concerning the "Fast and Furious" incident. I'm all for transparency, but you can't hold someone in contempt - much less have a DOJ investigation without a charge. There is no CRIME they are after nor allegation - just a presumption of guilt and a fishing expedition.

This is just political maneuvering by Republicans who want more power and don't want to have to bother with elections to get it.

If they can come up with some crime to investigate -- then I'm all for it. But I don't endorse rewarding people who abuse the system for self serving ends. The entire controversy is being created out of thin air.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join