It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My experience as a Freemason

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
OK, my experience as a Freemason....

I never knew a thing about Freemasons, and in fact if I had known anything about them it would have been the cuckoo conspiracy theory anti-Mason stuff, because when I was little my Dad was big into that CS stuff, and even now he is not too happy about my brother and I becoming Masons, but luckily he never really mentioned it when we were little. A great-uncle of mine was big into Occult, he was shot many times by a tank machine-gunner during WWII, and then when the foot soldiers came through he was still alive, so they shot him some more. He was riddled up his front and backside with machine gun holes, but he still survived, and it made him a little kooky! I don't know if he was a Mason, I doubt he was, some family members think he was, but regardless he was said to be able to place his hands on a dining room table and levitate it, and he could read playing cards from another room even if he wasn't prepared or expecting the challenge. Sometimes he would even answer before he was asked. Anyhow, I didn't know him that well, I met him several times, but no real personal relationship. So, that is the naive side of my exposure to Masonry growing up.

When I was 20 years old, I had just gotten married, and we were remodeling an old house for my wife and I to live in, and a freak accident occured. I blew myself up pretty good. Gas lines and steam and paint thinners, and lots of bad stuff. I had "full-thickness" burns over 25% of my body. I was told I'd be in the hospital for months, therapy for years, and I probably would never walk right again. They showed my 19 year old wife grotesque photos of the things she could expect. It was really psychological torture, and completely unnecessary, because my skin graft surgeries went well, I went home in 10 days, I taught my physical therapist what would work for me instead of the old lady stuff he was trying to do, and I was back at work in 6 weeks. I didn't walk right for several months until I convinced my damn doctor to X-ray me and find all the staples he left behind. Once they got the stupid staples out of my achilles tendon and knee joint I walked out of the surgery suite perfectly normally!

During my stint in the burn unit I saw many kids and parents there, and it was heart-wrenching. I knew how the idiot doctors had tortured my wife and I with their "worst-case" scenarios, and I wanted to help those kids and their families by giving them so hope and trying to serve as a "best-case" example for them. I often got in trouble during my 10 days in the sterile burn unit because I would visit other rooms. I started searching to see how I could help, and I found the Shriner's hospitals.

BUT, to be a Shriner, you have to first be a Mason. I wasn't 21 yet, and I couldn't become a Mason. Time passed, and I met a few Masons, and when I turned 21 I started trying to get an application. I was working at a radio station and a juice factory. One of the most visible Masons I knew was an ex-record executive, and a big-time marketing rep for our radio station. He had the gold rings, and jewels and emblems on his car, and he was also a Shriner. For months and months he gave me the runaround, hazed me, had me doing half his work, and the more I learned about him the more I hated him, and by proxy most other Shriners and Masons. He was a slimeball that used people (especially women) for his own will and pleasure, and I became completely disinterested in the fraternity, and the radio business. At about the same time my wife was working for another slimeball that owned some banks, and he was sexually harassing her at work, doing some very nasty things to her and some of the other women, and making pretty scary threats if they were to ever tell or sue. My wife knew how I would respond to threats, so she didn't tell me for months, but eventually she did tell me, and some bad things went down. We ended up moving to Florida during the fallout. No permanent scars on my criminal record, and a little extra cash in hand that he decided was a more then fair deal.

Reached my character count, continued in next post...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
So, Florida has a Shriner's hospital, and I became interested in visiting it, but I learned they do not have a burn unit. It is an orthoepedic hospital. Time passed, I ended up divorced from that wife, and met my current wife, and she is such a wonderful woman, from a wonderful family, and it was something I'd never experienced before. The more I got to know her family, the more amazed I was. She is open-minded in every way, but also spiritual. She has a clear and apparent moral code, but she is in no way a prude. I have never met anyone like her. She can talk openly about sex, or religion, or politics, even with her parents or strangers. Most of the things she does are done with a matter-of-fact quality to them. No games, no weirdness. It is so refreshing to be around her and her family, and then one day I discovered her Dad is a Mason and a Shriner, and her Mom is in the Daughter's of the Nile. I started asking about the burn hospitals, and how I could volunteer, etc. I wasn't really interested in becoming a Mason or Shriner, I just wanted to visit the hospitals. Her father is the same "matter-of-fact" fellow that his daughter is. Very clear answers, lots of good advice, open and willing to help in any way, but he never once suggested I become a Mason.

Hanging around her family, I ended up meeting many other Masons and Shriners, and eventually one of them asked why I wasn't a Mason. I relayed some of my past experience with Masons, and they were shocked. They completely understood, and still never suggested I become one, they were just curious why I wasn't already one. More time passed, and the closer I became to all of the family and family friends, the more I appreciated what they were, what they stood for, and what good they were doing for each other and their community.

One day I asked my father-in-law, "How does one become a Mason?" He said, "They have to know one." I laughed and said I think I know a few, how do I get the ball rolling? He said I had to ask the right questions. This back and forth went on for quite a while, and he had some fun with me, and his best buddy got involved, and they asked if I'd ever ridden a goat before, etc., etc. At some point they both got serious and said, "Seriously, all you have to do is ask. We don't recruit, so if you want to become a Mason, you just have to let someone know. I told them I wanted an application, and the ball was rolling.

Now, I'm a fairly skeptical person, I've been wronged before, I've been in hundreds of fights, I've been robbed, I'm not all that trusting of a person, but I know I can handle myself in any situation. I have to be honest, when 3 men came to my apartment to interview me, I was a little worried, and when they scheduled my first degree, told me to wear clean socks and underwear, and not bring any weapons, I was a LOT WORRIED! When they wanted to blindfold me, I almost walked out.

It was a weeknight in the winter, already well past dark, a bunch of old men standing around an old musty building on a side street off the main drag. I was the only candidate there. There was a sword by the front chair next to the entry door. There were ropes, blindfolds, old pajamas that didn't fit, and they wanted me stripped down, barefoot, blindfolded with a rope around me. I swear I walked to the door to leave a half-dozen times. I trusted my father-in-law and his best friend, but I didn't know any of the rest of the guys. I stuck my head in the Lodgeroom and found the exits. If there hadn't been an exit door at the opposite end of the room, I would have never gone through with it. I looked over the 15 men that were in attendance and I sized them up. They were mostly older and smaller than me, but there were a couple that looked like they could handle themselves, so I took note of their voices. I was honestly very scared, and prepared for anything when I finally let them lead me into the room.

The Masons here will know what happens when you are "received" into the room, and that set my mind at ease, because what they were saying in comparison to what they were actually doing was pretty tame. I started to suspect it was all for show. Still, I kept track of where I was in the room by mapping it in my head as I walked and turned, I wanted to know at all times where those exits were!

When all was said and done, the EA was finished, and they asked me if I'd like to say a few words. I almost cried. It was close to midnight, there were a bunch of very old men that had driven in and spent their evening putting one guy through the EA degree. Some of them had a 40 mile drive back to their homes. They had each said wonderful things to me, and they were obviously so pleased to have a new young Mason among them, and at the time I was the youngest in the Lodge, and I was already 31! I've never met a more sincere and kind group of men, and in the 6 years since then it has only gotten better and better!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Now it's Augustus' turn. I feel like it will start out something like.....After a hard night of partying,I came-to in an alley.......

edit on 29-6-2012 by network dude because: Augustusmasonicus is a beer hoarder. A crime of the highest level. Justice must be served!!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This is an interesting idea, sharing more about ourselves as individuals within the Fraternity. After reading the personal accounts of some of the Brother's lives and experiences, I was reminded of the section of the Entered Apprentice lecture that discusses the three great tenets of Freemasonry.

BROTHERLY LOVE.

By the exercise of Brotherly Love, we are taught to regard the whole human species as one family—the high, the low, the rich, the poor—who, as created by one Almighty Parent, and inhabitants of the same planet, are to aid, support, and protect each other. On this principle, Masonry unites men of every country, sect, and opinion, and conciliates true friendship among those who might otherwise have remained at a perpetual distance.

Brotherly Love or Friendship is regarded by Freemasons as the strong cement of the Order; without this high moral virtue, the Fraternity would soon cease to exist. By Brotherly Love, we are to understand that generous principle of the soul which regards the human species as one family, created by an All-wise Being, and placed on this globe for the mutual assistance of each other. The man who is actuated by the pure principle of Brotherly Love, will not desert his friend when dangers threaten or misfortunes assail him. When he is calumniated, he will openly and boldly espouse his cause, and endeavor to remove the aspersion. When sickness or infirmity occasion him to be deserted by others, he will seize the opportunity, and redouble all the affectionate attentions which love suggests. No society can exist for any length of time, unless Brotherly Love prevail among its members. To "dwell together in unity," is the life and support of the great Masonic institution.

RELIEF

To relieve the distressed, is a duty incumbent on all men, but particularly on Masons, who are linked together by an indissoluble chain of sincere affection. To soothe the unhappy; to sympathize with their misfortunes; to compassionate their miseries, and to restore peace to their troubled minds, is the great aim we have in view. On this basis, we form our friendships and establish our connections.

Relief flows from brotherly love, as free, pure, and refreshing as the mountain air. It dries up the gushing fountains of grief, banishes want from the abode of a distressed brother, and pours the oil of joy into the wounded hearts of the widow and the orphan.

TRUTH

Is a divine attribute, and the foundation of every virtue. To be good and true, is the first lesson we are taught in Masonry. On this theme we contemplate, and by its dictates endeavor to regulate our conduct. Hence, while influenced by this principle, hypocrisy and deceit are unknown among us; sincerity and plain dealing distinguish us; and the heart and the tongue join in promoting each other's welfare, and rejoicing in each other's prosperity. *

Truth is the foundation of all Masonic virtues; it is one of our grand principles; for to be good men and true, is a part of the first lesson we are taught; and at the commencement of our freedom we are exhorted to be fervent and zealous in the pursuit of truth and goodness. It is not sufficient that we walk in the light, unless we do so in the truth also. All hypocrisy and deceit must be banished from among us. Sincerity and plain dealing complete the harmony of a Lodge, and render us acceptable in the sight of Him unto whom all hearts are open, all desires known, and from whom no secrets are hid. There is a charm in truth, which draws and attracts the mind continually towards it. The more we discover, the more we desire; and the great reward is wisdom, virtue, and happiness. This is an edifice founded on a rock, which malice cannot shake or time destroy.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
Now it's Augustus' turn. I feel like it will start our something like.....

...it was a hot night in New Jersey. The sound of twist-off beer caps made a pleasing hiss as the Brothers sat outside the lodge and induldged in a pleasure that their Southern counterparts were forbidden. They laughed heartily as countless jokes were made at their less fortunate Fraterinty mates's expense, each trying to out do the other. A brief thought was given to sending them a care package of ice-cold adult beverages, but it just as breifly left their thoughts as they realized that Lipton would be more suited to their simple palates.

A motion was made and seconded and much debate ensued over who would fulfill this menial task and how it would be funded. It was determined, now over richly scented cigars, that it should be tabled for the next business meeting as the more important task of opening the Single Malt Scotch was brought to the Brethren for action. This was done with great determination afterwhich they saluted the wisdom of the Grand Lodge of New Jersey and its ability to treat them like men.

So mote it be.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It was nice getting in from work and reading the replies, brought a smile to my face cheers

reply to post by Numbers33four

Hmm I didn't do a good job of keeping my secrets seeing as in my OP I disclosed a lot about myself, but in the theme of the thread I invite and look forward to you posting how you have come to the viewpoint that you have.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I actually came in contact with a Mason today :x
He is getting me a petition asap..
Anything you guys can let me know on what to expect?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Pelvi

If you turn in your petition to your sponsor this summer, they will read your petition for membership in September or October (whenever the Lodge returns to work after summer break) and appoint an investigative committee who will call soon after to arrange to meet with you. They will return the results of their investigation at the next meeting and then assuming a favorable ballot, they will tentatively schedule your initiation and contact you to confirm that date will work for you.

Other than that, DON'T READ ANY EXPOSES AS IT WILL DIMINISH THE EXPERIENCE FOR YOU!

Best of luck yo you.

edit on 29-6-2012 by no1smootha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Pelvi

Expect some questioning of you history and your motivations, and expect to undergo a background check, and an interview. If that checks out, then you should not expect anything, just go into it with an open mind and an honest desire to absorb the experience.

The fellas there will be way nicer than you expect, and they will have a lot of knowledge and life experience to share, and they will expect you to study and learn some things, and participate as much as you can, but they will never want that to interfere with your family, job, or personal life.

Good luck!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

It always comes back to the tea.

You would think I'd learn after a few years.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by no1smootha

EXPOSES?

what do you mean don't read the exposes? Lol.
Just give me like a brief "Leave x (x meaning the certain curiousity) alone."

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pelvi
reply to post by no1smootha

EXPOSES?

what do you mean don't read the exposes? Lol.
Just give me like a brief "Leave x (x meaning the certain curiousity) alone."

You don't want to read about the degrees (rituals). If you know what is coming in advance it will be extremely silly and boring. Read the history, read what is on the Grand Lodge sites, talk to Masons, but don't go read the garbage on the anti-Mason sites trying to give away the "secrets," because some of it might actually be true, and it will make your experience less fun.

If you read what I wrote above about being scared, my experience would have been entirely ruined if I had read some of the stuff on the net before going to that first degree.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four
Slavemasons take the short bus to the mystery school.

I drove my car to lodge last night buddy..

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I wish there was an equivalent society for women. But if women assembled in the name of society's betterment, between discussing who put weight on and where so-and-so got her stupid shoes, nothing of substance would be accomplished before it was time to bitch about going home to their ungrateful kids and mates. I really hope you guys stop and appreciate that you can all assemble with a goal and accomplish it.

Being a woman is fun sometimes - on account of the beautiful dresses and not having to wear a plastic cup over our goodies during sports - but overall, the company of men is far more interesting. Thanks for all of the information about it -S&F!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
It always comes back to the tea.

You would think I'd learn after a few years.

Sorry, you did ask for it however.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

There are female only lodges, they have the same goals etc. If what we've been chatting about stimulates an interest it may be worth seeing if there is a lodge near you.

You don't need dangly bits to enjoy Freemasonry.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamjar
reply to post by chasingbrahman

There are female only lodges, they have the same goals etc. If what we've been chatting about stimulates an interest it may be worth seeing if there is a lodge near you.

You don't need dangly bits to enjoy Freemasonry.

Yes you do. You must be a male, freeborn, and of lawful age, to become a Mason.

Those would be considered "clandestine" lodges, and although they might have very similar teachings, they are not considered Masons to those of us that are in "regular" lodges. It really isn't a big deal, because in my state Prince Hall is also considered clandestine, but if I go to other states they are regular.

Most likely it would still be a worthwhile endeavor, but I thought I should correct you since you are considering joining a regular lodge of Masons. Once you join, you will not be able to sit in one of those other lodges.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I believe here in the UK the UGLE have now acknowledged female lodges. Although they remain unrecognised.

Women Freemasons

I did say "enjoy" and I am already a Brother :-)

edit on 29-6-2012 by Jamjar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamjar
reply to post by getreadyalready

I believe here in the UK the UGLE have now acknowledged female lodges. Although they remain unrecognised.

Women Freemasons

I did say "enjoy" :-)
edit on 29-6-2012 by Jamjar because: (no reason given)

Eventually everything will be homogenized, as individuality is becoming frowned-upon, but we are at least a century away from recognizing any female lodges in the US. Here in my district it is extremely rare to see a black Mason, and we still haven't recognized the historically black Prince Hall. Mentioning a woman as a Mason in a lodge in my district would draw gasps and horror, and then some sad discussion about how it is probably inevitable, but won't happen in any of our lifetimes.

I did say "enjoy" and I am already a Brother :-)

Yes, you are!
Sorry, forgot which thread I was in.
edit on 29-6-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I find it odd that on a conspiracy website, the secret societies forum be dominated by Freemasons. Freemasonry has been exposed time and time again, but you people keep lying and denying.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join