It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for parents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I do not have children... but im looking for a parents point of view on this issue...

Here it is...

Lets say for starters you were the ruler of a kingdom...

You have one child... lets say a son.

Now your kingdom is in turmoil... your subjects are are all messed up, running wild, committing murder and all the worst attrocities you can think of... completely not following the rules of your kingdom.

Would you send your son who knows your rules by heart... to fix your kingdom, to let your subjects know how the rules work... Even though you know he would be beaten, tortured, and mocked... but also knowing that he will return exactly the way he left...

Would you send him?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
How is he returning how he left if he is beaten?
No I would not send my son. I would hire an unsuspecting slave to do the job. Rulers have slaves. Slaves do whatever you tell them to do.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I would free my people from opression, and allow them to live without the support provided by my rule.

Once the food was gone, and the the anarchy set it, they would come back.

No need to send my son out to die

edit on 6/28/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Hmmm, interesting, Akragon, is this perchance a God / Jesus scenario ?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I would say to hell with it, you bastards are on your own.
Pack my bags and leave.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I understand the Christian parallel you are making. But there is a flaw in your analogy.

According to Christian theology, God views people as his children. So sending his son to save his other children is a more accurate depiction.

Having said that, there are a LOT of things God supposedly does that I could never do.

S for a great topic.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
I do not have children... but im looking for a parents point of view on this issue...

Here it is...

Lets say for starters you were the ruler of a kingdom...

You have one child... lets say a son.

Now your kingdom is in turmoil... your subjects are are all messed up, running wild, committing murder and all the worst attrocities you can think of... completely not following the rules of your kingdom.

Would you send your son who knows your rules by heart... to fix your kingdom, to let your subjects know how the rules work... Even though you know he would be beaten, tortured, and mocked... but also knowing that he will return exactly the way he left...

Would you send him?

If I knew that the after the mocking and beating, he still would accomplish the goal I set out for him..yes.

Nice try on the subtle trap of trying to to put down the message of Christianity.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Force him to go? No.

Let him go if he wanted to? Yes, as much as I'd hate it I'd stand by him

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
This sounds like a Jesus/God thing so I suppose I will answer along those lines.

I would have a hard time doing it since I am not God. I have weakness and would want to protect my child at all costs initially. If it could save a whole kingdom and my Son could return home in the end as if nothing had ever happened to him... then I would do it.

Sacrifice one to save many...but it wouldn't be a huge sacrifice on the parents end if the child returned home the exact same way he left.

I would have a lot of difficulty doing it, but if I knew the outcome beforehand I would like to think I would be able to do it.

I know it isn't along the lines of what you wanted (though I have to add), anyone with children that send them out into the world every day DO send them out NOT knowing if they will come home at all. Schools are more violent, people are mean, car crashes, bus crashes, kidnapping, etc. etc. etc. happen daily. So in reality any parent with a child that leaves the house does indeed send them out hoping they will see them at the end of every day. Same thing goes for when our children leave the nest. One just never knows.

edit on 6/28/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Since we're getting silly here let's not forget the Trinity. The concept of the trinity is one that attempts to conceal polytheism in the belief of the monotheistic God.

You send yourself to die in order to protect humanity from yourself.

Hmmm.

-SC

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This sounds like Jesus' parable about the workers and the vineyard. Here's one version from the book of Matthew:

Matthew chapter 21, verses 33-45:
33 Hear another parable: There was a certain householder, which planted a vineyard, and hedged it round about, and digged a winepress in it, and built a tower, and let it out to husbandmen, and went into a far country:
34 And when the time of the fruit drew near, he sent his servants to the husbandmen, that they might receive the fruits of it.
35 And the husbandmen took his servants, and beat one, and killed another, and stoned another.
36 Again, he sent other servants more than the first: and they did unto them likewise.
37 But last of all he sent unto them his son, saying, They will reverence my son.
38 But when the husbandmen saw the son, they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and let us seize on his inheritance.
39 And they caught him, and cast him out of the vineyard, and slew him.
40 When the lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen?
41 They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons.
42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?
43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.
44 And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.
45 And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them.

As noted, you seem to be making an analogy in asking if we would do the same with one of our children.

There is the part about the tri-une nature of God in that God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all part of a single God. Jesus is God in the 'flesh", coming to live among us a human. There is the love exhibited here in that he wants to be with us his creation. It might seem cruel that God expected to be killed, but it provides a full life experiencing the best and worst of human behavior, and allows for a death of someone who for an entire life did nothing wrong - did no sin - to take our place in death for us who are not able to live perfect lives.

The story also seems to hint at the eventual spread of the news of Jesus beyond the Jewish people, who had so far been the keepers of the revealed words of God.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

i take it this is a subtle way to ask questions about god/jesus without letting religion influance peoples answers.

anyway, i wouldnt send my son, id send my army to police my kingdom and keep my son safe at home

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Although this question does have some religious implications.... IF this was about religion i would have posted it in the religious section.

Unfortunatly i was on my way to work so i had little time to phrase the question properly...

So carry on people. I'll deal with questions when i have a break

new topics

join