It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tenants launch legal action to stop missiles being put on roof for Olympics

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by Nspekta

Why on earth would the local population be intimidated by anti-aircraft missiles on their roof tops???

For many reasons, i know i would see it as intimidation and fear mongering, especially with the increased military presence on active duty in my neighborhood, notto mention that you would be living under a military/terrorist target!
What would your reaction be if they put one on your apartment building, assuming you lived in one?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You realize the police run cams are in addition to the private cams correct?

If you read the 2002 report you selectively comprehended it bud.
I think the whole argument is moot for us anyway. Drones are the future and take neeto pics and can loiter forever.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta

reply to post by Nspekta

Why on earth would the local population be intimidated by anti-aircraft missiles on their roof tops???

For many reasons, i know i would see it as intimidation and fear mongering, especially with the increased military presence on active duty in my neighborhood, notto mention that you would be living under a military/terrorist target!
What would your reaction be if they put one on your apartment building, assuming you lived in one?

I'd be oogling it as much as I could - I hardly ever get to check out modern military equipment any more!

& chatting to the squaddies if I could - telling them old "war stories" - lamenting how light their current firearms are compared to the monsters we had to carry "in my day"....etc

but probably not...since they'd probably have a security perimeter & I'd moer likely just be frustrated at not being able to do so.

I do work on the top floor of an office building that overlooks a parliament tho - so perhaps one day i'll get lucky!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

So you are saying there is absolutely nothing wrong with installing these on top of apartment buildings?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

FOI Request to the Information Commisioner

The entirety of your post is based on erroneous information, so is pointless breaking your maths down.

reply to post by howmuch4another

Of course I realise that, but they are accounted for in the working paper from 2002 which started the whole CCTV bollocks off. I'm not the one selectively comprehending anything, in fact, that paper has largely been rebuked now as inaccurate

reply to post by Nspekta

I've already said what the point of these batteries is, if you choose to ignore that and assume it is some nefarious plot to "control" the populace (god knows how as the systems we use are of no use against anything not flying), that's your prerogative.

We'll see, after the Olympics is over and they return everything to normal that all this nonsense over Big Brother, intimidating the population etc is exactly that.

And no one seems to even care that this is nothing new in the Olympics. China did the same, as did Greece.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

It stands to reason, with a system that has a limited range (8km at best) and is optically guided, which is to be used in a built up area where a ground level deployment would hinder line of sight, that you would want them on the highest points for maximum effectiveness.

Hence why they have chosen tower blocks or large open area's to deploy the systems.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

So you are saying there is absolutely nothing wrong with installing these on top of apartment buildings?

Absolutely.

Insofar as there is any possible threat from the air shooting the bggers down would be a good thing (tm).

Why are you siding with the terrorists??

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
who the hell could those missiles possibly defend from if our modern enemies are asymetric in their abilities?

meaning they don't have jets or tanks to shoot at

unless MOD is thinking the Russians are coming from every angle?

they would be better off shutting their mouths and sitting on the side with some tactical response teams on the ready for a reaction rather then a missile battery to sit there for no reason.

the only reason I can think of is introducing the public to the batteries for a future conflict when they imagine drafting everyone in the Commonwealth and NATO they can.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It is such an obvious and vulgar display of power. For the life of me I cannot fathom how those calling the shots believe that the public perception of this act is anything but sharp.

Perhaps we should be playing Wagner from the balconies as well.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
who the hell could those missiles possibly defend from if our modern enemies are asymetric in their abilities?

how are you going to shoot down a light (or any other) aircraft if you do not have anti-aircraft weapons??

the only reason I can think of is introducing the public to the batteries for a future conflict when they imagine drafting everyone in the Commonwealth and NATO they can.

Really??
you cannot imagine a light aircraft loaded with 100 lbs of explosives being flown into an Olympic venue?

Or even a light aircraft without any explosives for that matter - just the momentum and on-board fuel could kill hundreds if you hit the crowd.

What a limited imagination you have.

edit on 28-6-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

how are you going to shoot down a light (or any other) aircraft if you do not have anti-aircraft weapons??

they are surface to AIR missile batteries....

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

they are surface to AIR missile batteries....

Yes.........precisely....to shoot down aircraft - that is what I was refering to.

What do you think I was talking about??

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Protection from who...?

Why would London come under attack?

No, really?

Two pages of camera this and police state that...

So the threat may be real, put the batteries on the water- in the channel, get 'em at the thresh-hold not under the roof.

my 2 cents

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy
Protection from who...?

No, really?

So the threat may be real, put the batteries on the water- in the channel, get 'em at the thresh-hold not under the roof.

my 2 cents

Who knows where an arial attack might come from. By putting the missiles close to the stadium they are covering many possibilities. its better to be safe than sorry in sitiuations like these. They will probably have the channel covered anyway.

edit on 28-6-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Originally posted by loveguy
Protection from who...?

No, really?

my 2 cents

Who knows where an arial attack might come from. By putting the missiles close to the stadium they are covering many possibilities. its better to be safe than sorry in sitiuations like these. They will probably have the channel covered anyway.

edit on 28-6-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

London is on an Island, surrounded by water.

Britain, is an island situated to the north-west of Continental Europe

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

O.T.T. silliness ! Using missiles to bring down any aircraft over a suburban area, may cause greater devastation than the original threat posed by the aircraft itself...?

The world Is becoming more and more neurotic...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
wasn't the building used during ww2 and has a reinforced roof which probably makes it a rare find when its got to support the missile system, 20-30 soldiers and 50 police along with enough snacks and drinks and has the necessary power/communication points already in place

and while theres loads of cameras in london its funny how they're used along with the tannoy system of the underground for example to wake up those sleepy heads who have fallen asleep without having to send someone down to wake them up
and for more gruesome things like suicides to prove that they jumped and not pushed in a coroners court

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I live in the UK and yes it is a police state hugely monitored by CCTV. For anyone to deny that or insist it's not that bad. Well.... they must be in some serious denial or is employed by her majesty's government to spread disinformation.

The fact is, every traffic journey is monitored in the UK. Even traffic monitoring cameras which look out for congestion and accidents have been adapted to read number plates, number plates are logged into a database and your whole car journey is tracked by the police (if they so request that information)

It's not just in London there are cameras, the smallest of towns to the biggest of cities are over flowing with these cameras.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
These are needed to stop the Al Qaeda air force. Al Qaeda have been re-equipped with the new air borne bungee jumping suicide bombers and the secret pogo stick air semi mobile divisions.

These things are likely to shoot down more civilians under friendly fire terms than to shoot at an enemy. Who is the enemy. They will have to create some new ones. The New Al Qaeda, coming soon to the fertile imagination of those who must be obeyed.

P

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I really cant believe they think that they need Surface to Air missles. You would think that the UK would have surface to Air mislle already in place, to prevent an attack on London, and neighboring cities. Why doesnt the Defense dept just rent out an entire building, and place the Missles it a not so Obviuos place, A roof top??? They must have some Serious INTEL, To be takening such drastic actions, and if that is the case, then I dont have a problem with it. Its just a weird thing to hear, right before the Olympics

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join