It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

peruvian seabird guano will be very hard to find this year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
i'm putting this in Survival because it relates to gardening and self-sufficiency. if it is to be moved to a different category, so be it.

I received an email from the head of one of the largest guano importers in the US stating that Peru isn't exporting any guano until fall at the earliest due to political wheel-turnings going on there.

if you don't know about PSG and you make your own compost teas to feed your plants then you might be missing out....10-10-2 : N-P-K ratio i believe and being organic will not burn (over-fertilize) your plants.

my compost tea recipes ( 5 gallon bucket with an aquarium air pump, tube and air stone bubbling for 48 hours)

plants less than a month old:
per 5 gallons of water- 1 cup earthworm castings, 5 tablespoons molasses, 2 teaspoon myccorhizae

for growing plants (not yet producing fruits or veggies)
per 5 gallons of water-
1/3 cup EACH earthworm castings, peruvian seabird guano, mexican bat guano during growth and then indonesian during fruiting or flowering.
5 tablespoons molasses
5 to 25 teaspoons powdered kelp (apergilis [sp?])
2 teaspoons myccorhizae (endomycco unless you're growing pine trees or oaks, then add endo and ecto)
2 teaspoons rock phosphate
used with every 3rd watering

and for flowering/fruiting plants- again for 5 gallons of water you use the same amounts as above except the EWC, PSG, and you start using Indonesian here- guanos all are 2/3 cup EACH and this tea is used every watering.

Peruvian Seabird Guano (product page)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

1/3 cup EACH earthworm castings, peruvian seabird guano, mexican bat guano during growth and then indonesian during fruiting or flowering.

Can you explain me the difference between peruvian, mexican and indonesian guano, please?
Why indonesian during fruiting or flowering? Is there a reason for this you can tell me or is it just your green-tumb-feeling???

PH and EC is the guide to me. Because the roots depend on PH to work the nutrients. Some nutrients are better aviable at lower PH and some are better aviable at higher PH. I work with Ebb/Flood(hydrophonic) and Aerophonic systems on some plants and I use self composted earth mixes too. They all depend on the right PH.

Edit2: For example my chipotle peppers run best in vegetation state at 6.2 PH because the nutrient table is balanced there. When they start to flower, I go down over time to 5.6PH while slowly rising EC to a maximum of 1.5. You can get this watching the drain PH/EC
edit on 28-6-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter

Can you explain me the difference between peruvian, mexican and indonesian guano, please?
Why indonesian during fruiting or flowering? Is there a reason for this you can tell me or is it just your green-tumb-feeling???

no problem- its rather simple. Mexican has the nitrogen, Jamaican has low nitrogen and high phosphorus, Indonesian has high phosphorus, and the seabird guano is usually balanced in the N and P numbers. theoretically one would use mexican and peruvian during growth, jamaican and peruvian during early bud set, and then indonesian and peruvian through flowering/fruiting. this is kind of moot since there's no peruvian seabird guano to be had at the moment.....

i know what you're saying about pH- some molecules are locked out when its too high or low. hydro is a whole different waf of growing than soil, as im sure you know. ive done ebb & flow with great success- and not so great- and i found it to be completely bug-free, unlike the usual soil gardeners use. and although the value of any tomato or anything produced hydroponically is always higher than a dirt-produced one, the complexities and flavors from the soil-grown far exceed those from hydro, in my opinion.....they look perfect- like a Kodak picture- but they taste like nothing. my plan is to do, not hydro, but aquaponics with fish waste water instead of advanced nutrients or botanicare or whatever else ive been using. i think it will improve the flavor of lettuces and other easily aqua-fied crops.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Thanks for the guano lesson
I just couldn´t imagine such huge differences between guano and guano but now it makes sense.

As for hydro, you´re right with what you say about the flavor. Most of our veggies still grow in soil because of this reason. I´m not sure either if there are less vitamins and such in hydro grown veggies.
I only use those hydro for my peppers and the aero system is for my herb. I figured out the peppers get really hot on hydro and this is what I want. Flavor on peppers is not so important to me, they still have flavor of course.

The herb, well I do not aim for the flavor, I need it for medical reasons.
I have my greenhouse setup with solar panels for my well-pump and the whole solar-hot water circuit so I use the excess energy for the aero pumps. If SHTF, I still can run my hydro/are systems and have fresh water out of the well, hot one when I need,too.

If I did not have those setup of solar cells, I would use soil only, too. But with those hydro and areo systems I get huge yields, more then we can "can" while having almost nothing to do because I use a siemens step7 for the whole PH/EC regulations. The only thing I have to do is control the roots sometimes and refill the basin by hand because I don´t want it to flood the greenhouse when something goes wrong with the solenoid.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

you're very smart and/or lucky to have solar panels. i too am off-grid with a greenhouse but i could only afford a remote-controlled generator this year. if my crop does well this year solar well pump panels are the first thing on my "land list". although im not as bad as the guys who run 16 hour grow lights off generators, i have to go 5-6 hours/day to run my exhaust fans here in the desert.

i dont think there's a difference in nutrient levels between soil and hydro- its more of a matter of accessibility and break-down time. hydro is great for pumping steroids into the plants but the pH has to be about perfect for the plants to uptakes the nutrients, and any slight imbalance can cause problems. i like the fact there are usually a lot less bugs around with hydro, that's for sure.

sounds like you've got a nice setup. i know they say "pics or it didn't happen" but i'll take your word for it on this one......

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Damn it I wrote to the caracter maximum describing the problem with taking pictures and talking further about the setup and then I hit the backbutton on the mouse and all was gone

My PV and solar setup still needs extern power to guide the DC/AC converter to 50Hz sine. Thats a problem I will solve either this or next year with a converter that does not need extern power. If power outages, I have to grab the generator and hook it up to the greenhouse in order to keep the converter functioning :-/

Pictures are not an option as my wife depends on it. She was diagnosed MS two years ago and insurance would only partake in little of the cost. So we would spend 700-900 euros per month just for the synthetic version.
My country does not allow self helping, they rather generate money for pharma instead of helping people out.
It took a long and draining speech to the kids to explain them to shut up about the issue.

But to give you another straw, If you ever need help with hydro systems (areo not so much) you can U2U me anytime and I will help you get it done. If you need automatisation, we can talk about that too. Pictures over email would be kind of ok somehow.

I have to stop or else I hit char limit again without saying what I wanted to say in my lost post.
Have a nice day

edit on 27-7-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

active topics

join