It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'DNA vaccine' will halt nicotine cravings and could even be used to stop children from starting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
How about a vaccine that you can give to your child that will make then never want to smoke, and can even help current smokers quit.

An injection of genes that make antibodies against nicotine could help millions of smokers kick the habit, scientists believe.

Just one jab could provide life-long protection against nicotine cravings and it could eventually be used to vaccinate children to stop them ever getting hooked.

Sounds great doesn't it?
Don't worry it gets even better.

The ‘genetic vaccine’ has so far been tested only on mice, but research involving people could begin in as little as two years.

The jab contains genes ‘programmed’ to make antibodies that neutralise nicotine before it reaches the brain, where it would normally trigger the pleasurable feelings that underlie addiction.

The theory is that if smokers no longer get such gratification from cigarettes, they will find it easier to quit.
The jab being developed at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York tricks the liver into continuously making antibodies, ensuring there are always some in the blood to fight nicotine.

So they want to trick the brain and liver into changing the way it reacts to certain chemicals.

Does anyone trust these vaccine makers anymore?

This next part is what really gets me.

The research is still at an early stage and the need for large-scale studies means the jab is at least five years from the market.

If it proved to be safe and effective, it could eventually be included in school vaccination programmes to stop youngsters from ever starting to smoke, said Dr Crystal.

It's not enough that the government lets them sell us cigarettes that cause cancer and then creates large cash profits for pharmaceutical companies and the health system but now they might be planning on making this part of the school vaccination programmes. Parents should be outraged that they're even considering this.

This news right here should be proof that these people have an agenda, if you weren't already aware. Sure, it may be years away from happening, but it shows the direction our society is heading. Instead of using common sense and making the healthy choice, let's just get a shot since we as humans are too stupid to make our own decisions (end sarcasm).

If kids are anything like they were when I was young, they will still smoke to bee cool regardless if the nicotine "gratifies" them or not.

The full article can be read here: Daily Mail

They need to stop tinkering with the human body, if it isn't broke, don't fix it

edit on 28-6-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: title

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
See, one day, I'd enjoy genetic modification: when we really know what the hell we're doing.

This is still WAY at the beginning of the infancy stage, and as such, shouldn't be trusted.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I'll take it. I've tried the Champix and it worked once. Probably mostly due to the placebo effect because the second time I tried it, notta. If there is a DNA modification maybe that will prove to be more than just placebo. However, I only have one major concern about all of this. How does it effect the dopamine production? Say good-bye to orgasms then.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
If we know that ciggarettes are sooooo bad, why do we allow these companies to make them? No ciggarettes, no need for this extra junk. I swear sometimes...

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

I completely agree.

We have seen what Monsanto and their GMO crops have done to our food system, and it's certainly not a good thing. The mutations have spread to non GMO crops. Could we see the same issues happen with humans? I think it's very possible.

Why on earth would we let these scientists manipulate our bodily functions for something as stupid as cigarettes, I sure as heck don't trust them.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oannes
If we know that ciggarettes are sooooo bad, why do we allow these companies to make them? No ciggarettes, no need for this extra junk. I swear sometimes...

Just the fact that cigarettes are legal should be an indication to how the world really works.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Wow, that's kind of a big deal, to say the least. I have mixed feelings about this.

First, the thought of something such as this to help quit smoking is intriguing. I hate smoking. I've recently found out that I don't smoke nearly as much as some people, but it still bothers me. If there were something that could make it real easy to quit, it would definitely be worth a second look to me.

However, the thought of playing with genetic code seems more unsafe in the long term rather than the short term. 5 years of testing seems short to me, what happens when people start passing this down genetically? Is that even possible? What if it mutates?

Too many what ifs. What happens if I to want to smoke a single cigar? Should I completely deny myself that pleasure because I was too weak to quit smoking cigarettes on my own?

Besides, everyone I've known who has kicked the habit, did so cold turkey. Why shouldn't I, when it's my time to quit?

Lastly, I think anyone who is willing to inject a child with any "gene-altering" drug is demented. I would never give my kids something knowing that it has the potential to alter anything in their genetic code. I know there are things that may naturally mess with genetics; even bananas are slightly radioactive. But tinkering with intent to change is a horrible idea. How could this possibly affect future generations? They can't possibly know with certainty.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I would just like to know, what gives them the right to sit and regulate things that grow naturally, and are obviously there for a reason? Cigarettes kill, not because of the tobacco, but because of the large range of harmful chemicals added to the cigarettes.

Even if the chemicals were never added, what gives any human the right to tell another what they can't put in their own body? Society really pisses me off sometimes.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

the unintended consequences will be horrific...or are they unintended?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Nah, the war on drugs and what it costs us is an indication of how the world really works. Or the more legal topic on this site: Prohibition.

I know for a FACT with the number of heavy-scary drinkers in my family alone, that Alcoholism is at least 10-fold more dangerous to my family than the danger of smoking.

Father woke up in a tree with no clue how he got there, quit drinking heavy. Grandpa got in a wreck, lost his teeth, quit drinking heavy. Uncle went through the scariest hospital visit of his life, made worse by being a drunkard, quit drinking entirely. I had 1 bout with being too drunk to enforce "No!" (literally, turned the dude down, then forgot within a few seconds that I said no), THEN blanked out after that, quit drinking heavily. Baby brother found himself drinking his life away instead of making decisions, due to the way this country was running, and running out of a future, due to the alcohol, quit drinking heavily. It's painful to look at because this is maybe the half of it, with my own family--and then there's the drinking on my in-law's side. But those of us who came out of this either learned moderation, or had to quit altogether. What helped for us is that we're control freaks. You lose a lot of control, being drunk.

Another Uncle refused to quit drinking, killed himself with the alcohol, and hurt his daughters whenever he was drunk. So we have our failures.

Smoking can kill you--quite painfully, and at a high cost. Smoking can alter your hormones (emotions), but I'd rather die from smoking than putting my family through yet another uncontrolled alcoholic ANY DAY. ANY LIFETIME! You have to have nearly a whole family full of potentially dangerous drinkers to know what I'm talking about--and from what I've heard this goes way back in our families.

So, all of us should be for prohibition, right? Not at all. The moment you make this illegal, you set up another crime world, like the gangs of the prohibition era. Prohibited items FUEL black markets. We don't need to feed the monster by making something illegal.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
This is just bad news all round. Messing around with DNA when not enough is known and understood about it is gonna lead to trouble. And as if the children are pumped full of vaccines already. We already have nicotine patches, gum, electric cigarettes and a whole bunch of other drugs to 'help' smokers quit. It is all about the money.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I know viruses can transform to not fit the shape of the anti body thus making the anti body useless. They adapt. Can nicotine do the same? I know its not a living forum but...?
edit on 28-6-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
When this sort of vaccine becomes mandatory like the other poison, I will refuse it for my children and myself.

This one is for adults, (nicotine), ok,

What if they offer one later for some unavoidable childhood disease? Are we supposed to F with our own genetics because they won't offer any other form?

You know someone who owns the company that offers the vaccine will give just enough to our government so they make it a forced issue. Then we will have profit driving not only the US´ government but the human race as well.

Good luck with that. Count us out, and don't push.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
%$^&*(!!!!!!!!

they don't know what they are doing!

they are going to destroy the pleasure center of the brain!!!

these people wont be able to ever enjoy anything!!!!!!!

peace.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

I wonder that myself-will it affect dopamine levels/serotonin uptake?

But hey no problem-they have more drugs to sell you to restore those back to normal,even beyond normal...
Whay hey,more profits for the pharma engineers!!!

Soon they will invent a vaccine that makes everyone who take its want MORE VACCINES.

Inevitable when so called "medication" is left in the hands of corporate giants,who number one concern is profit,not healing the sick.
Sad state we have allowed to develop,worldwide IMO.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
DNA vaccine for nicotine???
YIKES!
Just don't start smoking and you won't have to mess with vaccinations and the side effects.
(watch obamacare make it a mandate! ... wouldn't surprise me!!)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I am sorry to be the wet blanket here.

It does seem to me, that man will go to extreme measures not to have to take control of his choices, indulgences and obscene pleasures...

Prevention IS better than cure, but then, why go around in super sized circles by creating something that benefits no-one besides the money profiteers, and then spend big money to create a vaccine against it, so that you can overcome it/ not be vulnerable to it?

Seems like me like we are creating ways to water down our inner strength by the minute.

This life, makes no sense.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You raise a good point that I failed to think of (probably because I'm Canadian).

I could totally see Obamacare and it's mandates requiring children to get this, if it were ever to complete clinical trials and hit the market.

The already try and push the HPV vaccine on young people among other things, so if this were to become required I would not be surprised.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

the unintended consequences will be horrific...or are they unintended?

That's a very good question.

The conspiracy nut in me wants to say that any concequences will be intended with the intention of causing the need for more drugs to alleviate the consequences.

These people are crazy for trying to manipulate the human body in the fashion that they do.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I don't understand nicotine craving, I don't suffer from it. I never smoked, but in the last 8 months or so I've been using nicotine patches to control the effects of Tourette's syndrome, which I have a mild form of. I struggled with Tourette's since around 1st grade, not knowing what it was until just last year (I turned 40 this May). Anyway, the nicotine patch is amazingly effective in all but eliminating my compulsions caused by the Tourette's, but I have to keep reminding myself to apply the patches or else I'll forget. I feel no craving for the nicotine at all, none.

I might just be a rare person who doesn't suffer chemical addiction, though. Many years ago I had to go on first morphine for a couple of days, then was on Percocet for a while longer to deal with some pain issues...no addictive qualities at all from these powerful opiates for me, nothing. They did a great job of eliminating or reducing the pain, but the minute the issue causing the pain was dealt with and I went off the drugs, I was done with them. The remaining Percocet pills stayed in my medicine cabinet for well over a year after that, untouched until I gave them to a friend who was dealing with some pain issues of her own. No craving, never even thought about them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join