It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've had a change of heart

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
It's fine that you like Hall's book. It's somewhat misleading to sell it as "The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P. Hall 33°" though.

He also wrote that when he was in his early twenties. I think you need a few more years under your belt before you can say, 'I have the secret teachings of all ages.'

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Are any of those points about his age, not being a mason, relevant to the material contained in the book? I would say it was a pretty factual book with a good deal of information in it. The fact that he went on to become a 33rd degree Freemason, could be in part to the research he had done prior to joining.
edit on 28-6-2012 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas
Are any of those points about his age, not being a mason, relevant to the material contained in the book? I would say it was a pretty factual book with a good deal of information in it.

Considering you are not yet a Mason it would be rahter difficult to say whether it is factual in regards Masonry. Hall himself admitted as much many years later and commented that he was rather immature at the time (paraphrasing).

The fact that he went on to become a 33rd degree Freemason...

The Scottish Right is irrelevant to the Blue Lodge.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

More examples but I wouldn't want to make this a debate over what Freemasonry is and is not. My pain push is because I love knowledge, especially esoteric.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

My pain push is because I love knowledge, especially esoteric.

That is a good enough reason to join, just go in without preconvceived notions from persons whose commentary was made long before they joined the Fraternity.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Are any of those points about his age, not being a mason, relevant to the material contained in the book? I would say it was a pretty factual book with a good deal of information in it. The fact that he went on to become a 33rd degree Freemason, could be in part to the research he had done prior to joining.
edit on 28-6-2012 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

I like Hall, but he is not always 100% accurate. Especially in his earlier books, written as a young man, where he often allowed his imagination to get the better of him.

Of course, he's not the only one in this category. Dr. Albert G. Mackey is another famous Masonic writer who had written many tomes that are historically worthless. I would simply caution all those who read those books to balance them against academic research.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Well, after a discussion with my wife about the prospects of becoming a Mason last night, it appears that as soon as she has secured a job (which could be in as little as 2 weeks), I will be visiting my local Lodge to apply for membership.

I was actually taken aback with how supportive she was with the idea and her knowledge that I would need to be investing a good bit of time away from her to learn and practice and such...

Very excited to begin, and will update progress as appropriate. Until then, time for more research!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

There isn't just one person that says Freemasonry deals with esoteric symbols, though..I'm joining so I can try and understand it, even though I used to think that there were a lot of people in high places from freemasonry. NASA, Presidents, etc.I just thought people would be happy I was giving it the benefit of the doubt.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine
I was actually taken aback with how supportive she was with the idea and her knowledge that I would need to be investing a good bit of time away from her to learn and practice and such...

It should only be a couple of nights a month and you may have to do some memorization at home on your own for a few hours as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join