It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Augmentations - Hell yeah!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Animus974

You're right about that. People will become more and more accustomed to augmentations too, so pretty soon everybody will be augmented, at the very least with neural enhancements or the like, to the degree that someone who isn't augmented will earn a raised eyebrow or two. This is why I consider augmentations to be the next step in human evolution, in a way, because almost everybody will sport some form of augs within twenty-thirty years, with all the benefits that come from it.

So, how do you stop it from becoming the latest fashion trend? I don't think you can, though again, the decision to chop off your arm simply because of a fashion trend is ultimately the augmentee's own responsibility and decision. It'll be like plastic surgery today, in a way - only more tempting and more useful. The difference, though, which brings some balance to it in my opinion, is that you're not putting jell-o implants in your boobs - you're chopping off your arm permanently, to replace it with a mechanical limb. This will hopefully and probably make people think more than once before making the decision so lightly.

I also think that there will always be a few humans who refuse to augment themselves because of various beliefs, which of course brings its own problems and benefits.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

I don't need to be human+, you're still going to end up in the same grave you were before.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

That's your decision, and fortunately we have free will in this world.

That said, you might end up in the same grave, but one of the benefits will in all probability be that you can delay ending up in that grave for maybe another fifty or hundred years.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
theyd have to rename the donors list, the spare parts list lol

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The good thing is, they wouldn't NEED a spare parts list. See, donors come in limited supplies. If you need spare parts though, all you need to do is make a phonecall to the factory.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

yeah, but like with cars, second hand parts are cheaper

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DaveNorris

Persuasive argument. You make it.

Maybe it'll really be like Deus Ex, where people steal augmentations from dead people and sell them on the black market. That'd be nasty stuff.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

well, i guess the only reason its not happening now with organs is that they have a very short shelf life

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Cant wait for stuff like this to be reality. i really want those augmented eyes. who needs a bigscreen tv or a computer when everything is built into your eyes. ive actually been putting money away in an account each month for the past 4 years so hopfully by the time these are commercially available ill be able to afford em
edit on 29-6-2012 by MastaShake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

LMAO!!! That was so funny!!!

Augmentation is so real and the technology is coming soon, I'm pretty sure the Elite can't wait to augment us just to shut us the ___ up and shut us down when we get out of control.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

Ray Kurzweil "The Singularity is Near"
You are referring to the exponential growth of technology.
Good book I would recommend it to anyone here.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

I especially love cars as extensions of our legs.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
If their was ever a cybernetic link up to the brain their would be some thing to consider.
1. Their needs to be a fail safe off switch.
a. In the event of mind domination from computer "Actual Intelligence" evolving.
b. Hacked by third party. (Big brother, Terrorist, ect.)
c. Computer virus, bugs...
d. Information overload via downloading.
2. This technology could liberate humans by amplifying human thought with precision access to collective knowledge, information, data.
a. Imagine a question being asked and all pertaining information and collective wisdom/knowledge being available.
b. Evolution of information and new complex thoughts and ideas being backed up and available for reference and added to data.
c. Calculations available without human error.
d. Creativity takes on a whole new level having available all collective human data.
3. Psychological implications of cybernetics.
a. Would we even need to talk in words anymore or just for enjoyment?
b. Would an elite class be formed?
c. How would the human mind adapt and cope to such vast amounts of information?
d. Could this technology dehumanize us or enable a true potential.

All of these are thoughts and ideas to consider the possible pros and cons of cybernetic technology. At the end of the day though who can you really trust to produce such technology and use it responsibly? Probably not to many high up the pyramid. I think until then we need to work with what we got and not wait around for something of a hypothetical future. Become your own hero and challenge you potential with what you have. Life is a gift. This is your chance to prove yourself and their are not many quick fixes but long term investments such as becoming educated, healthy and strong, and connecting with mind,body, and spirit the nature from which we originate.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by GareyGaia
If their was ever a cybernetic link up to the brain their would be some thing to consider.
1. Their needs to be a fail safe off switch.
a. In the event of mind domination from computer "Actual Intelligence" evolving.
b. Hacked by third party. (Big brother, Terrorist, ect.)
c. Computer virus, bugs...
d. Information overload via downloading.
2. This technology could liberate humans by amplifying human thought with precision access to collective knowledge, information, data.
a. Imagine a question being asked and all pertaining information and collective wisdom/knowledge being available.
b. Evolution of information and new complex thoughts and ideas being backed up and available for reference and added to data.
c. Calculations available without human error.
d. Creativity takes on a whole new level having available all collective human data.
3. Psychological implications of cybernetics.
a. Would we even need to talk in words anymore or just for enjoyment?
b. Would an elite class be formed?
c. How would the human mind adapt and cope to such vast amounts of information?
d. Could this technology dehumanize us or enable a true potential.

All of these are thoughts and ideas to consider the possible pros and cons of cybernetic technology. At the end of the day though who can you really trust to produce such technology and use it responsibly? Probably not to many high up the pyramid. I think until then we need to work with what we got and not wait around for something of a hypothetical future. Become your own hero and challenge you potential with what you have. Life is a gift. This is your chance to prove yourself and their are not many quick fixes but long term investments such as becoming educated, healthy and strong, and connecting with mind,body, and spirit the nature from which we originate.

Those are all good questions, and questions we probably won't know the answer to until we actually have augmentations ready on the open market. And you're definitely right on not waiting around for augmentations. I live under the principle that no time in life should ever be wasted - use all of it as best you can.

Augmentations are supposed to make you better - which means the more prepared you are for when they become reality, the better they will make you, whether we're talking about education/intelligence, strength or anything else. Though I know augmentations will be a reality in fifteen-twenty years tops, I'm not going to just sit around and wait for it to happen. there are more ways to evolve as a human being (from person to person) than just by replacing limbs.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I love(d) the Deus Ex games! I enjoyed Deus Ex: Human Revolution so much, it was an incredible game and I just loved every moment of it and the universe of it. I really hope that the world progresses to something akin to what the game had.

But we should talk about the rejection syndrome and what it could mean.

In Deus Ex, a drug called neuropozyne was developed to combat the rejection syndrome, augs had to regularly take it. The price of this drug meant that you either had to be a high profile person or have it funded via an organisation (Like PMCs). In the game I read a newspaper which had an interview of a celebrity who was heavily augmented. She said (paraphrased): "I'm very lucky to be famous and have the money and ability to buy neurpozyne to keep my augs, most people can't afford it and can't be augmented". Essentially you have to be rich and have a steady income if you're not being funded via a 3rd party to be able to keep buying the anti rejection drugs so you can be safe with your augs. You'll be a slave, much like those who take out a massive mortgage to buy a house to keep your augs on and not to die from rejection. But one man could change, one who had super compatibility with augments and could allow anyone to be augmented without issue.

Beyond that though, was nanotechnology. Essentially augmentation via nanobots in your blood. This was the next step in augmentation technology, no longer would one crudely bolt on metal to their body, they'd be stronger and well beyond any mechnical aug, without the compatibility issues. Soon enough you'd have 3 classes of people. Non-augs, primitive metal augs and nano augs. The nano augs would be in such a higher state compared to the others, and it could cause so much conflict and resentment.

There's a lot of complexities involved with augmentation, but it's an interesting subject.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by shadowland8

There will definitely be one group that will mainly be in possession of nanomachines, and one with biomechanical augmentations. But I don't subscribe to the notion that this would cause a rift between them, for several reasons that I'll list here.

First of all, if accessible, nanomachines would also be used by biomechanically augmented people. Not only would it, as I've said previously, aid against metal poisoning, but it would also possibly make the need for anti-rejection drugs virtually non-existant. In this aspect, I see biomechanical limbs and nanomachines go hand in hand - one can exist without the other, but together they make the best combination.

Secondly, even if nanomachines exist to make you stronger and faster, there's always going to be a need for biomechanical augmentations in the form of prosthetics, as well as the previously given example of use for security related personnel as weaponized limbs and the like - you can't use nanomachines to turn your left arm into a Gatlin gun for example.

I could see, though, biomechanical limbs being limited, not legally but simply by demand, to those who need prosthetics, and military or security personnel who could use it in weaponized form, while somebody who requires greater strength but not a Gatlin gun on his arm, like a warehouse worker, might be better off with just nanomachines enhancing his strength or cardio.

So, I see augmentations, whether biomechanical or nanomechanical, turning into a blur and mix between the two with no definite lines. I can see it rather as humanity being separated into just "human" and "augmented human" rather than "cyborg" and "nanite-enhanced". Unless, of course, people who want to remain human and not use biomechanical limbs, are still prepared to use nanomachines, in which case that quite possibly would change things and might just cause that rift after all...

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
just thought id repost some of the links mentioned earlier on in the thread, just incase anyone skipped over them

intraosseous transcutaneous amputation prosthetics
brain controlled prosthetics
chemical circuits
brain implants
body monitoring
posthuman discrimination

the first ones about overcoming the body rejecting implants

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by Gauss

I don't need to be human+, you're still going to end up in the same grave you were before.

After the Mapping of the entire Human Genome...we know EXACTLY where in the Genomes DNA are the specific Atoms in a short Molecular Sub-Chain...which is responsible for AGING!

Now what is aging? Aging is a living cells degradation of EXACT DUPLICATION of DNA and RNA within a new cells birth by MITOSIS. In layman's terms...when a cell divides by the process of Mitosis...this being the cells ability to take on enough food and oxygen to start the new cell "BIRTHING PROCESS" which is the SPLITTING OF THE CELL INTO TWO IDENTICAL CELLS which also have identical DNA and RNA.

The problem occurs as time goes by...the Cells ability to divide into perfect replicas of themselves begins to degrade. This occurs by design as the Genome itself directs the cells to "AGE" by not continuing to have the ability to divide EXACTLY and the cells begin to "BIRTH" via Mitosis...inaccurate reproductions of themselves. If the cells were able to continue to divide new cells in a state of perfection and identical to the original ones...WE WOULD NOT AGE after a Human Body Reached Maturity and via Genetic Engineering...this age could be determined before hand to be either 18 years old or 25 and then directed to stop maturing and continue for Cellular Mitosis to continue duplication in perfection at that age.

This would be tantamount to IMMORTALITY because as long as all Human Cellular Mitosis continued at this ability of perfect reproduction...we would continue to live and live healthy! Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

i agree, but messing with that part of the genome is dangerous, if change in the wrong way then the cells might continuously split causing tumars and abnormalities.

but like you said, if done right, imortallity

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Do you think this is something we could see within our own life times? Imagine achieving immortality within this century even. Amazing stuff.

If it does happen this century, hopefully by 2050, or at least hopefully it will work on people who have aged quite considerably already

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join