It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HBO's Newsroom says it perfectly... re: American Myopia [2min VIDEO]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
We are fat, lazy, stupid, out of touch, and getting worse...

Although, I am proud and happy that I grew up as an American, We AREN'T the greatest nation in the world... but, we could be:

If you're not going to watch the show - first episode was good - this clip is a great look at the pompous, and unwarranted attitude we've developed in the 60s thru 80s, and lived on until now.

edit on 6/28/2012 by SquirrelNutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

If one of the MSM anchors showed this much "backbone", for want of the proper term, I would be the biggest fan of their show from then on.

In MHO, this is how the job of the news media should be done.

I am old enough to remember the "giants" of the news media which he talked about in another segment of the show.

If you have not seen the full episode of this show -- SHAME ON YOU -- until you do. There are parts where they tell the story of some of the people on the show. I am not talking about those parts.

I only wised the vid had been the segment from the show rather than the trailer the network uses to promote the show.

If someone has this and can upload it, everyone would appreciate seeing it.

The heart of the show is what is said about the mission of the media.
edit on 28-6-2012 by hdutton because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-6-2012 by hdutton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
American arrogance is a huge factor to overcome as a nation. Exceptionalism and fanatical patriotism grounds people in ignorance, bigotry and furthers the "race to the bottom" that is so popular in the US.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Now if only I still had HBO...been doin' a lot of fiscal trimming in my household

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
What is far more interesting to me is what drives human beings to want their nation to be the 'best' to begin with.
edit on 28-6-2012 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

We are all driven to be better and different than others in order to stand out or feel better. We will always find ways to segregate and compete against one another, and the stage sizes vary.

Think about sports, as an example (modern day gladiators):
- City against city (Boston/NY, Dallas/Houston, etc)
- College against college (Michigan/Ohio St., Texas/Oklahoma (goes below, as well), USC/ND, etc)
- State against state (NY/Cali, Tx/Oklahoma, etc)
- Nation against Nation (Soccer, The Olympics, etc)
:
:

We will never truly advance as a civilization until we think cosmologically (not globally) - we need to think as a planet and move our thought beyond our ridiculous little quibbles (all a result of trying to stay ahead of who is around you - our neighborhood, and way of thinking, are extremly small!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by hdutton

Shame on us for NOT subscribing to HBO? That's a weird marketing strategy.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz
We will never truly advance as a civilization until we think cosmologically (not globally) - we need to think as a planet and move our thought beyond our ridiculous little quibbles (all a result of trying to stay ahead of who is around you - our neighborhood, and way of thinking, are extremly small!

I think social stratification trumps your idea, unfortunately. It would be nice to end the quibbling, but I doubt if it's ever going to happen.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

Originally posted by Balkan
What is far more interesting to me is what drives human beings to want their nation to be the 'best' to begin with.

Even more, what drives human beings not to care about their nation?
One can only be better at something if someone else chose to suck.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
reply to post by hdutton

Shame on us for NOT subscribing to HBO? That's a weird marketing strategy.

I had not thought about my statement as a "marketing strategy".

Hummm, let's see.

If I could get HBO to pay me for recommending others watch something which I thought was entertaining as well as made a point; I coud very likely retire a little sooner than I have planned.

Thanks for the suggestion. I know they will be more than greatful when I call and offer to do just that.

No. I know not everyone subscribes to HBO, but they often have friends who do. Isn't this why they made video recorder ?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

It is not often that I feel strongly enough about a subject to do.

I have found the proper video on youtube which I think many people should watch and give a lot of thought toward.

I wished I was smart enough to load it onto this or some other thread; making it more available for viewing.

www.youtube.com...

I would also like to sugest for those who will to put this in the faces of anyone which they may know who works in the media.

I would hope, by seeing this at least a few will grow a spine and start doing their jobs again.

new topics

top topics

join