It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is going on in England???

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

Yes I'm only 18, I no its just England and its weather, it just seems to be changing one day to the next. It's not just England, weather around the world just seems to be strange atm. I was just amazed at how fast it came down that I couldn't even see outside untill it stopped, just wanted to know if this was normal

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
The strangest morning of storms I can ever remember.

Sat down in the dentist chair, here in Rugeley, Staffordshire at 9.30am and the thunder type sound started. It didn't stop and start as it always has done in every storm I can remember. This was one 25 (or more) minute long of a unbreaking growl from the skies.

By 9.55am, I was out of the chair and paid up. When I stepped outside I could not believe how dark it was. Never, ever seen the skies look so dark at this time of day.

Drove home with headlights on, like everyone else in the rain. Couldn't hear the storm because of the rain hitting the car.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The "constant rumbling" the OP refereed to was definitely thunder.

My partner and I have been tracking the storms since early in the morning, with a short break in the morning to get some sleep. In the afternoon we drove to a local high point here in Derbyshire to try and get some shots, but there was too much cloud and rain surrounding the storm and we couldn't see the strikes.

We could hear them though, just like the OP described - a constant rumble, and it lasted at least 10 minutes if not more. That was around 1.30 PM.

I've seen storms like this one before in the UK, but not in a long time.

Just after we got back in the afternoon my partner took this screen shot of the lightning strike map.

Hardly surprising that there was constant rumbling if you consider that just one of the larger storms may well have been producing upwards of 20 strikes/minute.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with wandering if its normal or not, I am 32 and lived in Lincolnshire all my life and never seen anything like it!

The skies went so dark the street lamps and peoples security lights were turning on.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

I really wish it DID clear the air but here its just as muggy as it was before if not worse!

It's a funny world we live in

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

That maps a bit out, it shows strikes around me, there has been no thunder here, yet, I have a good 20 - 30 mile radius view too, not so much as a flash
Heavy rain though.
edit on 28/6/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
First of all ,i want to address the people that are saying 'This is just Englands weather'

I am from Newcastle upon tyne england, and this is not normal, Newcastle has never in its history seen rainfall like this, scenes from the city were discribed as apocolyptic and biblical.

Over a months fall of rain fell on the city in one HOUR, half a months rain fell in the first 15 minutes.

I work in newcastle and at approximately 4pm, the sky went dark, this is meant to be summer, we expect rain in spring and the occasional thunderstorm but nothing like this.

The sky was the colour you would expect it to be at 11pm at night

The city is only just starting to recover from a stand still now, it took myself 5 hours to complete a journey which normally takes 25 minutes, the roads litterally pealed off

Here is a youtube video of Lightning striking the iconic tyne bridge

www.youtube.com...

The police and emergency services were powerless to do anything, No diversions were in place on roads, simply because every major road in newcastle was closed so their were no roads to divert people too, The A1, a69,a68,a19,coast road, central motorway.

Every road was unpassable. One family only survived when a passing onlooker jumped out of his van to save a lady and her one year old baby which was about to be completely submerged in water.

Mud and landslides have piled tens of thousands of tons of rubble onto the cities metro rail link. to the people who think this is normal, you are simply clueless

Part of the metro centres roof collapsed (one of the biggest shopping centres in Europe)

Homes in Benwell were set alight as they were struck by the lightning

Yes we have rain, yes we have miserable summers, but no, we dont get this, this is not normal and im not going to blame global warming, but we might never see rain or weather like this again in the uk
edit on 28-6-2012 by kevbrownuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

The same with me, through out the whole thing I didn't see any lighting, which made me question if it was thunder or not.
edit on 28/6/2012 by DeyTookErJeobs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kevbrownuk

A couple of year back we had the same, 3 months rain in one night, it destroyed nearly every bridge along the river derwent went a tsunami ploughed its way miles and miles down towards the sea. The biggest bridge it took out was 2 minutes round the corner from me, Northside bridge, and sadly claimed the life of PC Bill Barker who was trying to stop traffic crossing.

Before:

After:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Yeah, and I'm kicking myself for not matching the strikes I saw this AM to find out by how much.

Never the less, it gives a good idea of strike rates.

I should have posted the link to the site where I got the map from before.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Yeah, and I'm kicking myself for not matching the strikes I saw this AM to find out by how much.

Never the less, it gives a good idea of strike rates.

I should have posted the link to the site where I got the map from before.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Apart from some of that Saharan sand on cars from a light rain shower last night,it's been a bright and sunny but slightly breezy day down here on the south coast

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DeyTookErJeobs

Although not possible to have thunder without lightning, it is possible something was obscuring your view of the lightning, buildings, hills, even really dark dense clouds.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

Seriously, there are sudden showers in Manchester at the minute which are slightly heavier than usual but nothing to worry about.

My main concern is the humidity, I have been in a mood for the past two days like never before in my life because I have been so fed up with the heat, but in Stockport there have been people with no diagnosed mental illnesses going into full on frenzy and needing sectioning and at one point yesterday which was so much worse than today I felt like doing the same.

Everybody yesterday was unbelievably angry and stressed and when I saw how furious people were on Facebook I decided it was the humidity making them ratty and chose to ignore myself before I upset anybody with my mood.

Add a couple of suicides in Tameside in the past two days and I think we have got a real problem, the weather is sending us mad.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Again, we had thunder without lightening up north in Manchester last week.

Bit of a strange moment.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
im in south lincs...been a awfull day with the heat,we could feel the static charge in the air most of the day,tornado in the next town to me...super hot and hailstones...
this is far from normal......
something is not right..

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Yeah nothing wrong with that dude. Weather, however, does have a tendency to change a fair bit and that is completely normal. I think because of all the climate change bs people are looking far too deeply into how the weather is and as soon as there is a storm or tornado or earthquake it gets people thinking it is totally unusual and because of global warming.

I've always known the weather to change rapidly though, and for there to be really catastrophic events happening around the world. It has always been that way. I've had many days here in the uk where one minute it is sunny so you go out in just a t-shirt and then the within hours it is tipping down with rain or hail and then he next moment it is all sunny again.

Just the way it is and i is totally normal and fine. You should just enjoy the display nature has to offer

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
We had the storm hours ago and our beck has just overflown, This is a pic of what it look's like right now, Hope we do not get any more rain!

flood

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mee30

Just the way it is and i is totally normal and fine. You should just enjoy the display nature has to offer

Normal? since when do you need a torch to walk outside at 4pm in the afternoon in the middle of summer?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ladylove

Yeah it is a little muggy still, perhaps we have more to come. It's funny though because one minute they are imposing hose pipe bans (which btw I remember having 18 years ago) and then the next we get tons of rain. Definitely could do with another little storm or two. Hopefully next time I don't fall asleep!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join