It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long time lurker, new member BS!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I was reading on this site (mainly on the Yellowstone thread) for a couple of years before I joined, simply because I had no reason for posting. I was looking for information. So it does genuinely happen.
However, I didn't actually use the phrase "long-term lurker" when I introduced myself. Perhaps you are just being irritated by the fact that a phrase is becoming a cliche.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I have been a lurker for many years on ATS. My reason for finally signing up was to be Sh** on, accused of being a liar, accused of working for a similar website, accused of fiction and bad fiction at that. I have a nice life with a nice wife great neighbors and needed that unwanted feeling that some have. ATS is great for reading about current unusual events and getting your nuts kicked up into your throat attempting to share events with people that have similar interests. According to a growing amount of members, nothing is real, everything is fake fiction propaganda lies deception and so on. : ) I have this sneaking suspicion that people lurk instead of laying in a pit full of fire ants covered in maple syrup !

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mckeesport
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I have been a lurker for many years on ATS. My reason for finally signing up was to be Sh** on, accused of being a liar, accused of working for a similar website, accused of fiction and bad fiction at that. I have a nice life with a nice wife great neighbors and needed that unwanted feeling that some have. ATS is great for reading about current unusual events and getting your nuts kicked up into your throat attempting to share events with people that have similar interests. According to a growing amount of members, nothing is real, everything is fake fiction propaganda lies deception and so on. : ) I have this sneaking suspicion that people lurk instead of laying in a pit full of fire ants covered in maple syrup !

Laugh

Funny but true. Thanks for sticking around still.

Thats one of the things here. Paranoia. I guess it goes with the territory, right?

Imagine this on a small scale, say 5-10 people in 1 room... "I'm freaking out man..." "ok.. Who took the acid and who took the placebo".

Family guy skit comes to mind. lol

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I lurked for a little while before joining simply because ATS is so huge! I had really never been on another forum before this one except an Ivillage political board years before. I wanted to see how it "worked" around here before I jumped in and embarrassed myself really badly.

However... I didn't lurk for years and like you have a hard time believing that someone read everyday for 4 years and then decided they wanted to join. It's possible I suppose, as most things are.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
I lurked on the boards for over a year before i joined i wasn't sure if i wanted to join and get eaten alive over a thread if i posted one people can be brutal on ATS..
Plus this site is huge and intimidating but i decided to join and I'm glad i did..
Ive noticed allot of the new members lately that join always have important information to tell us then just vanish that makes me a bit mad why even bother joining..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I joined years years ago, mostly just reading as I had little to say, eventually I stopped logging in and finally after a few years a thread came along that I wanted to contribute to, I'd forgotten my user name/password and thus created this account...

Over the last year I stopped contributing to the topics of others and just fell back to reading and then in January stopped bothering to log in at all, but carried on reading or lurking.. only again something caught my eye so I started to log in and post again.. this is how things work for some of us.

I think it is easier for some to say they are a long time lurker as their is a lot of, how shall we say, know it alls here.. some rightly so, some, not so.. in that vain I've only posted one thread of my own research, and even then it was really cut down.. So I can not blame some for feeling they might need to protect their confidence when walking into this den of vipers

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Never even bothered with an introduction, didn't see much point since I was drawn here by the Japanese disaster.
But then I've always been one to just jump in and make a nuisance of myself.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Never even bothered with an introduction, didn't see much point since I was drawn here by the Japanese disaster.
But then I've always been one to just jump in and make a nuisance of myself.

And thats how I like it!

Be spontanious, not this sneaking around, lurking voyeuring nonsense

vvv

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I didnt bother with a introduction either. I just figured jump in and share my thoughts. Even with alot of negativity, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I just live by my Mamas words " If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it at all " : )

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I don't see what the problem...

i lurked for about 6 months before i decided to join...

I never had a Introduction Post

But i think reason most people do it because its another way of saying "i know the rules and regulations even tho i just registered" also it could be preemptive reply to some arrogant posters who says "you just join 2 days ago, you don't know shiz about this site"

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
It happens all the time. I lurked at nfl.com for 8 years before I signed up this year. Then again my team sucked until last season.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
My dear VVV... you know me. I was here in 2007 and then we moved cross country. I lurked for I swear a year before I signed up with a new ID. I HAD to respond to a particular thread, couldnt recall my PW and we had changed email providers a year earlier.. so I couldnt access it. I made this ridiculous ID ( its flea powder I was using on a new dog) and Voila.
So folks do lurk for a variety of reasons!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
First of all sorry I probably fueled your anger with my opening line in my introduction "Hello ATS, long time lurker (2 or 3 years) decided to sign up as I feel the time has come! "
I didn't realize so many people said this but I can tell you from me it's the truth. I've been lurking on ATS since I woke up so to speak over 3 years ago. I've come back every day to see what's going on since then and to be honest I made an account because I wanted to get more into the conversations I see on here, and I wanted to start my own discussions aswell. I don't see why it bothers you that people are joining after years (as they say) lurking, surely this is a good thing more members on the forum.

And I saw you said "OOh, I lurked for 4 years, and decided to join today" and I think to myself, why not just join when you discovered the site? "

I get where your coming from but it's not as simple as that, not for me anyway. When I used to look at ATS I'd feel as if I had nothing to add to what was going on, I felt kind of intimidated to be honest by peoples views they were a lot stronger than mine. But now I have more of an opinion on a lot of things, and I'm also a lot more spiritual and open about things so that's why I felt the time was right to sign up.

Again sorry for being part of these people (didn't realize a lot did it, I didn't even read any introductions before I wrote mine!
) and sorry for the long post just got carried away!

Hope to see you around

edit on 29-6-2012 by Tingle because: typo

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I lurked off and on for 4 years or so before I joined. Never posted an introduction, just started posting.

Intimidation and not having a definitive "starting" point is what left me hanging so long. I joined once I felt motivated enough to do so.

No big deal, I would imaging more people lurk than have ever registered. Both long and short term.

ATS has a HUGE intimidation factor to it. Not just on the subject matter, but to the past and present know-it-alls and my-way-or-the-highway types.

It isn't a matter of having thick skin or not, it's more a matter of just not wanting to have to go there. Some people have better things to do with their time, so lurking and not dealing works better for them than feeling like they may be put on the defensive. Even the feel-good, gooey-love posts have haters, after all.

Believe it or not, most people just don't think that's cool. We can leave it at that.

The moto should read:

Deny Ignorance, Live and Let Live

top topics

<< 1   >>

join