It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long time lurker, new member BS!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Lately it seems EVERY new member opens with that line.

"OOh, I lurked for 4 years, and decided to join today" and I think to myself, why not just join when you discovered the site?

Is it like some voyeur thing? I sometimes feel new members only say this line, to gain some instant respect or acceptance.

I know this is not a big issue for many of you, just something that got on my nerves, after seeing soooooo many of those introduction threads pop up on the recent posts page.

Welcome to all you long time lurkers (if you really are or were) and just regular "join today types"

Have a good day

vvv

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I have to admit I lurked for about a year before joining. But no, I didn't do an intro thread. I guess I just wanted to see what was going on and what to expect before jumping in and offering an opinion.

Can't say it really annoys me though, I tend to skip past it and read where people are from and what their interests are, and generally try to make new members feel welcome. What annoys me more is when newbies attempt a thread and people tear it down because it was done three months ago before they joined, and of course they should have known that.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

It is pretty common, in some cases it may be true but it does seem a run of the mill introduction.

I lurked for about a month before I joined, it was mainly because my heart was not in it at the start and I was only becoming accustomed to it all. It was also intimidating to read through threads where people just get so brutal and are so critical, maybe people feel that if they say theyve been lurking for awhile that people wont tear them down as much as being newbies or whatever... people are certainly arrogant around here

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

I actually watched these boards with little to nothing to say or add for nearly a year or so.

Having to go through an introduction and a 20 post minimal kind of made me loose interest for a long time till I finaly had enough and had to respond to a post.

So yeah, many people do watch this place for a while.

You guys are not always welcomeing to the new people, so I would think it's for our own good. Seriously, how many people want to post here just to have their post derailed by someone who thinks they have more clout than anyone else, and if they dont want it here, they will ruin your threads so much so that even the OP doesnt want to muck with it anymore.

So, once again... Maybe it's all the hubbub such as the likes of posts as these that keep us new people at bay. How often would you wanna just walk into a random rampant crowd who has no care in hell about what you think or feel and would rather bash you for your own views?

I think you might get my drift? It may be the same with all other new members.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I'd say theres a pretty big intimidation factor in joining ATS...

Like jumping into a den of wolves waring a newb meat tuxedo...

edit on 28-6-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I get all your concerns.

But if the fear of joining because of ridicule, or not immediate acceptance is the only issue, then I still find it absurd.

You join the site, and take it as it is. Its a public forum, where opinions will differ, no doubt about it.

I know some people do really lurk for some time, but I do not believe that all the ones that say they do, does indeed. Rather they use it as a type of attempt to come across as knowledgeable.

vvv

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I tend to believe there are likely more lurkers here than actual members.. Not sure if that is the actual case.

I lurked around here for a couple years before deciding to make an account. You can see my join date and how few post I still have as an example of how many have lurked, finally made an account, but continue to mostly lurk..

Reasons? More than likely the manners and decorum of a good amount of members here.. A lot of new members are just discovering some of these topics and are excited, but are ridiculed as soon as they post something that all the old dogs are sick of hearing about..

Getting tongue thrashed keeps a good deal of people lurking in the safety of the shadows.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
But if the fear of joining because of ridicule, or not immediate acceptance is the only issue, then I still find it absurd.

I know some people do really lurk for some time, but I do not believe that all the ones that say they do, does indeed. Rather they use it as a type of attempt to come across as knowledgeable.

vvv

I do get that. If you're going to run and hide the first time someone disagrees with you, then this, and probably any debate forum is not for you. You do need a thick skin to post here, but at the end of the day if you're going to post, you are right. Just step up and do it.

Then duck...

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
I get all your concerns.

You join the site, and take it as it is. Its a public forum, where opinions will differ, no doubt about it.

vvv

How do you conclude this?

I find that most often, when I deduce something akin to this, I find that I also tend to be guilty. I mean, how else would I have come up with the idea if I had not thought of it already.

It kinda sounds like that this issue really disturbs you, which I find awkward, but matter of diffrence perhaps. (the easy form of what most new people fall into here - perfect example)

Or going off of personal experiance? Either way, the most curious of all of this is, why on earth would this bother you?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
It bothers me that people would lie.

That in essence is the crux of the matter.

Also, since this is the rant section, surely I can rant about anything (no matter how stupid or inconsequential it might be).

vvv

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
my friend showed me this site, that day i joined.
and i'm never leaving.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   

I know what you mean but I "lurked" on ATS too for a few months before I joined. But I agree 4 years is a bit crazy, yeah.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Most people say that because I guess they don't want to seem like a newbie and don't want people thinking they know nothing about these topics.

I would imagine less than 10% of people who say that in their Intro threads actually did lurk.

Because as you said, EVERYONE says they lurked..... and it's BS

edit on 28/6/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

I'll tell you why, many come to this site with higher expectations.
Then they realize this is just an entertainment site and there is no real critical information.
Most who browse this site are not the type who just trust on the first meeting, so we lurk.
I browsed for years with no membership, then the ads got to be too much.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Assuredly. Never would I try to take that away from you. I was curious is all.

I know whatcha mean, but if lies bother you, brother, Im sensing you're going to have one long miserable life... or not.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Most people say that because I guess they don't want to seem like a newbie and don't want people thinking they know nothing about these topics.

I would imagine less than 10% of people who say that in their Intro threads actually did lurk.

Because as you said, EVERYONE says they lurked..... and it's BS

edit on 28/6/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

I generaly take people for what they tell me the first time. If it's a lie, then so be it. it bothers me none. Somehow I take it, for a site such as this where people have to trust each other to read through much of the information on this site, it's kinda counter prodcutive with the lack of trust we have here.

Surely, if lieing about being here for any period of time, which I really dont doubt, people need reason to get involved, and reading isnt always part of that "get you involved". Some people just like to read. I did, and I only came in when something caught my eye that I HAD to comment on.

So why take someones word as a lie right off? Surely you cant see them and their daily activities.

That's like me saying.... "All posters are just troublemakers". As you can see, no where close, and I would be no closer to knowing the truth of my words than you are at this time.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Well, it makes it easier for someone who joins only yesterday to know all about certain members and methods used on here, to claim "Long time lurker, first time poster." when in fact, a portion of them are returned members most likely who cannot stay away after being banned or otherwise told off.

I often see people with join dates only a month or so previous, claiming "Oh typical just knew you'd come in and debunk things as usual." or "Wait for to come in and start their shilling.."

rather annoying that, to be honest.

I know what you mean VVV.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I know what you mean. It happens on almost every message board though. Most of the people I think exaggerate how much time they "lurked" to make it look like they've been around.

I join up with boards first and then lurk. I hate reading most boards as a guest because they never look as good. ATS included.

Although I could say I lurked at ATS before I joined, but that's because I didn't know the site had a message board. I was too caught up in the Area 51 and 9/11 articles.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
yeah, it bugs me too. I think it means, I got busted yesterday so I now have a new profile. I call them recycles

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
I know what you mean. It happens on almost every message board though. Most of the people I think exaggerate how much time they "lurked" to make it look like they've been around.

I join up with boards first and then lurk. I hate reading most boards as a guest because they never look as good. ATS included.

Although I could say I lurked at ATS before I joined, but that's because I didn't know the site had a message board. I was too caught up in the Area 51 and 9/11 articles.

You sir, make a good point.

It does look better if you are a member indeed. So why not just join one time, and lurk in style at least. Well said.

vvv

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join