It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers twist beams of light into DNA-like helix structure, achieve transmission speeds of >2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
So I was trolling, as you do and I came upon this gem of a story which you might recognise as being just a little bit amazing...

SCIENTISTS have found a way to transmit data 85,000 times faster than current broadband speeds by twisting beams of light.

Researchers at the University of Southern California (USC) twisted eight beams into a DNA-like helix structure, each encoded with one and zero data bits to create independent data streams.

The experiment achieved transmission speeds of 2.56 terabits a second – up from current US broadband speeds of 30 megabits a second, Gizmag reported.

What interests me however is why light seems to work so well, shaped as the double helix of DNA. Is there some sort of connection with the shape, or is it a coincidence that the way our information is structured makes a perfect template for sending digital information too?

Original news article

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Toddlez

Hmmmm

That's peaked my interest. I have to admit.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Toddlez

is it a coincidence that the way our information is structured makes a perfect template for sending digital information too?

It is interesting! I'm no doc. of course but doesn't our body send electric current to control our muscles? Like when you attach an electric current to a frog leg and it moves. So I'm betting it's no coincidence.

When are we going to get these awesome internet speeds? soon I hope.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Toddlez

Same reason why the ancients fluted their stone pillars in a spiral fashion. Same reason Stonehenge was originally a spiral. It is the ultimate design for the flow of information. The ancients used it to gain wisdom from higher sources.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Toddlez

And our cellular communications also work on a seven layer system just like tcpip.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I have worked in the communications industry since 1978. With a single light current signal is OC-768 (38Gig). This is way more than the 30Mag listed. The 30M listed is the current cable modem speeds and not even close to the current light communications speed. That is because cable modems have to be cheap to run a business. In the not too future the cable speed will be OC-192 as this format is getting cheaper. On top of that they can currently put multiple lights down single fibers (called wave modulation) by just modifying the wavelength (color) of the different light beams. The only difference with the wave modulation and this new technique is the new one uses the same color lights but that makes the alignments of the fiber at the end extremely critical.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The sun sends its light out in a double helix also, just like DNA, I always found that correlation very interesting, the very thing that gives the planet life sends its energy in the same format that we live in, intelligent design?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toddlez
What interests me however is why light seems to work so well, shaped as the double helix of DNA. Is there some sort of connection with the shape...

The only thing "twisted" here is the explanation in the article.
As is common with ATS postings, the article linked is NOT the original source of the story.

Originally posted by Toddlez
Original news article

newscorp is not the original source. They stole the story from gizmag

Gizmag stole the story from the University of Southern California

USC had written the story up from what was published in the actual original Nature paper.

So really, its not surprising that you didnt understand how light was like DNA, given that you were reading a "chinese whispers" 4th hand version.

So forget the "DNA" references.
What they are really talking about is Light orbital angular momentum where one can define the "handedness" of the light beam to be an extra "data channel".

Incidentally, the newscorp article was completely totally wrong when it said

Researchers ... twisted eight beams into a DNA-like helix structure

No, they didnt.
Each of the eight beams of light were independently of each other using the angular momentum handedness.
They were not twisted together at all.

Really there shouldnt have been any references to DNA at all, it just confuses people.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
There is an existing thread on this topic:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join