It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Big Brother Cyber Weapon Turns on Your Computer's Microphone, Takes Screen Shots, Copies Data an

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
What are you talking about? It has always been been! You are just now figuring this # out! This knowledge should have been known for as long as there was ground lines for the phone companies!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight21

Something strange happened a couple of weeks ago....

I was logging onto youtube when a message appeared about upgrading my IE to number 8 via the Microsoft website as youtube wouldn't be using the older version for much longer so I decided to upgrade by going to the Microsoft website via the link and guess what happened?? My IE no longer worked.... I tried uninstalling, check disk for errors, system reboot, boot scan and still i can't open the IE or uninstall it it!!

Lucky for me I had Firefox and Opera Installed but # knows what that was/is

edit on 28-6-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
This is exactly why I am always naked when I use the computer. Always want to show your best side when people are taking pictures.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This isnt anything new. I was able to do this a decade ago at the age of 16. Thought it was common knowledge that they were fully capable of this?
edit on 28-6-2012 by Ear-Responsible because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I leaning toward the complete bunk side of this thread.

The Flame/SkyWiper bugs are not simple virus's like BO or S7.

F/SW is a compilation of - bulky - packages (The Israelis might make great weapons, but their software blows) that require LAN access or a physical drive (flash drive) to manually infect the target PC's.

F/SW targets Micro$oft systems only.

If you want peace of mind, get Ubuntu/Mint and have a good security policy(back-ups, drive images, anti-virus, firewall, etc). Stay away from Apple.

Personally I would recommend Mint 13 Cinnamon as it is very easy(easier than Winblows) for a n00b to install and have the OS working from the word go.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Do you think they will get tired of seeing people....umm hmmmmmming with themselves?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The article said they use it via virus. THEY DO NOT NEED A VIRUS!!! They have been doing it since at least 2004 when dell started putting web cams and mics on their monitors.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
1. Linux
2. disable drivers
3. run browser in sandbox. Firefox. Noscript
4. enable router logs and check.
5. no worries!

BTW, I have tape on my webcam lens. I just hate looking at that lens in the top of my laptop.

-SC

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight21

Hitler would be proud.

This is crazy. They can also implant "evidence" or shutdown a decenter.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkullCreek
1. Linux
2. disable drivers
3. run browser in sandbox. Firefox. Noscript
4. enable router logs and check.
5. no worries!

BTW, I have tape on my webcam lens. I just hate looking at that lens in the top of my laptop.

-SC

ring 0 rootkits and trojans are going to be difficult to identify.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

Run linux from a thumbdrive. No persistent OS, no problem.

-SC

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
it doesn't matter too much in the short term, this will only last as long,
people of all backgrounds will eventually get pissed and involved, it's inevitable.
these kinds of things unite people, the only problem is their mind control is so powerful it would take a week without television and papers to pull it off.

btw i'm getting an imac on sunday, probably the best computer for such a government virus wouldn't you agree?

Oh come on, I've heard this whole, "people will get pissed and do something" argument for SO long. The fact is, you and I are the people, and if WE don't do something, why the hell would someone else? Americans are some of the most complacent people on Earth. Look at how the collapse of Rome was handled: bread and circuses; as long as the people don't go hungry and are entertained, they will let the state do whatever it wants. Fast food and The Kardashians; the American dream.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tindalos2013

Originally posted by J34NF1C0
reply to post by jude11

haha that's great, I believe it too!

I've been putting a folded sticky note over my webcam out of sheer paranoia for the past 2 or 3 years

I could do that but I will not. I have no fear for I am innocent.

This is not about guilt or innocence...

It's about invasions of privacy and the right to feel safe in your own home.

It's about the right to say...NO!

Peace

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
I leaning toward the complete bunk side of this thread.

The Flame/SkyWiper bugs are not simple virus's like BO or S7.

F/SW is a compilation of - bulky - packages (The Israelis might make great weapons, but their software blows) that require LAN access or a physical drive (flash drive) to manually infect the target PC's.

F/SW targets Micro$oft systems only.

If you want peace of mind, get Ubuntu/Mint and have a good security policy(back-ups, drive images, anti-virus, firewall, etc). Stay away from Apple.

Personally I would recommend Mint 13 Cinnamon as it is very easy(easier than Winblows) for a n00b to install and have the OS working from the word go.

Well put.

However - we have been targeting Linux for years.

Too many holier than thou ranting against Windows and claiming that their OPEN SOURCE is secure. Do you guys ever stop to think what OPEN SOURCE means?

Many Linux users I know happily install anything because it is found on OPEN SOURCE websites. Critical thinking? Not much.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Unplug microphone if not used,
unplug webcam if not used.
Turn to linux kernel system.
Do not save sensitive data on your harddrive.
If you have to, use a usb drive that you can unplug easy.
Redo your system with a image every month.
MS update will not keep you save, I promise you all.

BTW, it all comes down to internet connection speed when transfering any data (mic,screenshot,data,video)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Take the battery out of your smartphone if you dont want them hearing you during certain times, and disable your computers internal mic by changing it from the registry to disable the external and only use the line-in jack. If it has a camera, a piece of electrical tape will do.

These are among a few things you can simply do to keep your privacy.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Ok, this is easy enough to address, simply monitor your router logs, any outgoing traffic that shouldn't be there can be blocked. One would assume they would use an encrypted session to send the data back to themselves, and this is quite easy to spot.

Anyways, flame virus aside, this "cyber weapon" has been around for awhile, in fact, google owns a patent for turning on your webcam/mic and targetting ads to you based on what the software can see or hear.

As for smart phone apps, be it apple, or android, there are a few things you have to consider:

First, the android os, as well as apple ios, take screen shots of everything you do.

OMFG THEY ARE STEELINGS MY SCREENZ!!!

No, it's the os creating those smooth transition effects, the images are not stored anywhere but in your phones cache.

Apps need permissions to a lot of things on your phone to function. for instance, gosms! is an app I have on my phone, which replaces the default android messaging system with a much nicer one that also integrates free non-sms messaging as well.

That sucker needs permissions to do all sorts of things that seem scarey until you understand what the app does.

I suggest always reading the required permissions, and also trying to avoid flyby nite apps.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Last night on Through the worm hole I saw that scientists have already started decoding brain waves and have successufully had computers solve what a person is looking at after training the system by looking at thousands of other images. The computer read the brain activity and displayed a picture of what the person was looking simply by monitoring the activity. The images were only black and white and basic but the computer was able to decipher the letters a person was looking at.

Ladies and Gentleman we are right around the corner from technology being able to read peoples mind and if linked with a satellite and receiver that could hone in on individual people signals you could be watched without ever even knowing. I think it would be cool to view my own dreams but I sure would not want others doing the same.

We are entering a period where even your personal thoughts will need to have laws for protection and we all know that once it is avaiable if not already NONE OF US OUR SAFE!!!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

microsoft is a corrupt company and bill gates is an arrogant little $#%@head.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I always did feel uneasy stood in front of an xbox 360 kinect, seemed to me like the perfect tool for governments to watch behind closed doors.
With all technology, if its spoken about now, they've been doing it for years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join