It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Delete an Unwanted Thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I would like to suggest an improvement for the site.
I have all these threads that are currently inactive. I am thinking: could the site make a "delete thread" button? When I log in, and go to my Tools, it would be fun to have this button which enabled me to threads that I made but which I don't want anymore to be around. Now I have all these old, sometimes stupid, threads I made which I would like to delete but I can't.
Just a suggestion: The "delete my own thread" button.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Does anyone think that having the possibility of deleting their own treads would be nice??

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hell yeah, I am always in favour of more power.

Chance of this happening? For all practical purposes, none.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

I think its nice having all the threads archived in the internet forever...... think about the many many great and epic threads on this site full of information and dialogue and debate,,, it would be a bummer if those prized possessions could be erased from history...

and also so the humans of the future could see that not all the humans of the past were dummies,,,,,, though they will question why the members of ATS didn't band together and rid the world of ignorance and oppression....

maybe some threads will be in future text books
edit on 27-6-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
We all have them. Aint gonna happen because it's not just your thread. Other people take part too and their input is valued to them.

See, just did it.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Yea, sure would be nice, but some here just love to keep records. It can also be used like a hey look how stupid I was in 2003 lol lol. i would love to have the list of stuff I posted before 2002, what a hoot that would be...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

I found out that if I go to "tools" and hit "subscriptions", all the threads I have posted to are listed.

Well, on the left hand side is a white box...... click onto the box that you want a thread deleted and go to the very bottom and you will see the "delete" button. Hit delete and viola, it's gone.

Is this what you were talking about? If so, hope it helps.....

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by swan001

The thing about the Internet (well at least at this point in time) - anything you write or upload is permanent and it's every single user's cross to bear. That's why we all should be very careful what we write, because in 4 years someone WILL quote your stupidity.

While I don't have the last say, I wouldn't hold my breath for this request to become a reality. Not because we want to punish people for their past stupidities, but to allow fair play.

I'll use two examples to make my point:

1. Let's say in 2007 you started a thread theorizing that the earth is actually a giant blue marshmallow. Another member spent days writing posts, doing research and finally prove that the earth is in fact not a giant blue marshmallow. That member considers his research and posts in that thread as the best posts ever made in the history of the Internet. Forward 5 years. You decide you weren't thinking clearly back in 2007 and delete the giant blue marshmallow thread. And "poof" gone is the other member's pride and joy... Not very fair to the other participants in that thread, is it.

2. Because of the nature of ATS your posting history can either lend credibility to your or... not so much. Let's say last month you posted a thread "A blue marshmallow stole my car and ate my hamster". Your story is disproved and you delete the thread. Today you post a thread "My hamster stole my blue marshmallow and ate my car". This time you fixed the holes in your story and because other folks can't see the deleted posting history, they don't know you are actually a liar and they can't disprove your story either. Win for you. Lose for everyone else.

reply to post by snarky412

That only deletes your subscription to the thread, not the actual thread.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
The Wayback Machine

What has been said cannot be unsaid. What has been seen cannot be unseen. What has been written cannot be unwritten.

Our words have been gifted immortality, but the sorrow of the Eldar is never-ending.

Rejoice! And despair.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Hm. I see now the logic behind it. Thanks for the great example!
I happen to have a thread pretty close to your example...

Nevertheless, I see now.
Peace,
Swan.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Thanks for that bit of insight. I wasn't sure what the poster was asking exactly, but now I know.

And if I ever decide to do a thread similar to "A blue marshmallow stole my car and ate my hamster", it's time for me to check into the Funny Farm !! That was a very colorful, imaginative analogy that made me laugh. Thanks....

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind having the option to delete a thread if it has no replies whatsoever. Topics on any forum website that float backwards with a million views but no replies is just sad. Let's just give them a mercy kill and be done with it.
edit on 30-6-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I think that would just delete your subscription.
You automatically subscribe on each reply unless you uncheck, which I forget to do. I wish it wasn't default to subscribe and the choice was to check if you want to.

top topics

join